1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to drop the ‘I’m gay’

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Joelle b, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Joelle b

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I just generally want to know, how do I come out. I want to do something fun, because I’m coming out and you kind of conservative Christian parents so I wanna fun idea that is interesting. But it can’t involve baking, because I suck at that.
    I need something fun and cool. I seem to of those like were you text your parents like hey I am this place by the way I’m gay, but I’m stuck at home so can’t really do that. Anyone have really cool ideas that they used or didn’t use or that they’ve always loved?
    XOXO
    J

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your profile says that you are 14. You say that you are stuck at home and that your parents are conservative christians. I don't recommend coming out until you have moved out and can fully support yourself. I can assure you from personal experience that homelessness is not fun.

Joelle b and BiGemini87 like this.
  3. Joelle b

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have people to stay with just in case, plans and stuff. My dad was raised a concervitive christian, so he's a heard case, but my mom, besides being 100% christian, I know she has a close friend who is gay. I have been struggling with not coming out long enough and I really can't stand it any more. Since I know that my mom will be accepting I am gonna do it. And I have a team that is prepared to take over if needed. So I'm all clear, though thank you for caring <3.

P.SP @QuietPeace love the lao tzu quote, fave person ever there!

BiGemini87 likes this.
  4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Joelle b.....Coming out can be wonderful and terrible. Occasionally at the same time! The two most important factors in deciding when to come out are: 1) Come out when YOU are ready. Don't let anyone push you into it if you are not at the place where coming out is right for you...not them. and... 2) Don't come out if there is a real chance that you will be in danger. That includes being kicked out of your house, having no way to support yourself, having all privileges (phone, computer, friends, etc.) taken away, being verbally or emotionally abused as well as the danger of physical abuse. Waiting can be very difficult, but your safety and emotional well-being are more important. Being out in middle school/high school is easier now than it used to be...but depending on your school and your relationship with other students, it can be problematic. Try to evaluate these things and see what you seriously think about the results of coming out would be. Sometimes waiting...even when it is so difficult...is the only safe way to come out. The thing is that at your age your parents may not take you seriously. You may hear the old: "It's just a phase and it will go away". As difficult as it may be, it's very possible that the very best choice for you right now is to wait. You have many years in front of you...a few more waiting to come out won't be fun but may be much, much safer. If you really feel that you have to come out, that you just cannot wait...then please consider a letter. Coming out in writing means you will not be interrupted or face a barrage of questions that you need to answer immediately, in the heat of the moment. You get time and they get time to think and process what you have told them...that counts for a lot.

There are some great sample coming out letters here on empty closets that could be a big help to you. Even if you don't eventually use the letter, taking the time to think about it and to write one will help you be sure to say what you need to say and leave out the rest! An additional plus to a letter is that you don't have to be present when the letter is read. That can be a big help as it eliminates the potential face-to-face confrontation that can easily go bad. It gives the people reading the letter some time to think before they talk to you. After all, you've had years to think about your sexuality...giving them at least some time to think about it only seems fair as well as getting you out of a possible hot conversation! Check the letters out (see below)...they could be a real comfort! Also...when you do come out, whether it's tomorrow or 10 years from now, your parents and friends will probably have questions. Take some time now to think about what those questions might be. Such as; "How do you know you're gay?" or "How long have you felt this way?" etc.. The questions themselves will vary a great deal dependent upon your family and friends...so take that into consideration. If you work up a list of ten or so questions with the answers already planned, you will be perceived as a more mature, thoughtful person.

COMING OUT LETTERS: http://emptyclosets.com/home/pages/resources/coming-out-letters.php
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

Joelle b and BiGemini87 like this.
  5. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's great that you have a back-up plan; just please be careful.

As for creative ways, there are a bunch of videos you can find tackling this exact thing; some of them are pretty cool. I, sadly, don't have any particular recommendations. ^^;

Joelle b likes this.