1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with internalized homophobia?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by ShyBirdy, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Love2sleep

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gosh too many typos but typing with one hand when the other is sprained - is a mission in itself

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can share some things from my own upbringing and from the point of views that I have encountered in life. There are people and religious organizations that say that having same sex/gender feelings are not the problem, it is just a "temptation". The problem is acting on those feelings, actions are where the "wrong", "sin" and judgement start. An LGBT+ person who has accepted these beliefs and lives by them can accept that they have attractions but if they live a heteronormative life then their "god" will not judge them and they will "go to heaven" when they die.

3. Love2sleep

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for sharing. It must be terribly difficult to have those beliefs and never act upon one's true feelings. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences.

4. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe the true reason why so many churches are unaccepting or non-affirming to LGBTQ+ people lies in the "choice" issue. Historically, churches have framed the issue as man making a choice to live in sin. Why did the church do this?

Either man makes a choice to be gay, or God made him this way. So, in their minds, homosexuality is either a failing of man or an intention of God. They chose "failing of man." In the last few decades, many churches have been pressured by society to give up on the choice issue. So, they re-framed the issue as "being gay is not a choice, but God still doesn't want you to act on it, so you're still living in sin."

The fact that many churches have moved a bit on this issue is certainly a sign that LGBT acceptance is gaining ground, albeit at a snail's pace. Still, progress.

5. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Love2sleep.....Did you, by chance read the post I made to ShyBirdie above? It could help you with the religious difficulties. You could also check out the link below. When you get to the linked site, select the link at the top of the page that says "Homosexuality and the Bible" then select "The Bible, Christianity and Homosexuality" The info there will cover just about everything that is so often used to condemn the LGBTQ+ Family by misinterpreting the Bible.
    https://www.gaychurch.org/homosexuality-and-the-bible/the-bible-christianity-and-homosexuality/ I do hope this helps! Remember, you are a part of our LGBTQ+ Family and we do care! Please keep us updated on how this works out! :old_smile:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

6. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Love2sleep .....My post to you might have gotten misplaced....but I think that you will still get it. I think your post was in response to ShyBirdies post. Hopes this all makes sense! :old_big_grin:

7. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @old tacoma.....If you've read the post I made to ShyBirdie, you've already got a head-start on the religious difficulty discussion. I have recently found a really great webpage that does a super good job of summing up everything that I learned in my studies so, I think it will help you the most to go to their site. They really do an outstanding job of covering all the bases in a very clear and easy to understand way so....the link is below. When you get to the linked site, select the link at the top of the page that says "Homosexuality and the Bible" then select "The Bible, Christianity and Homosexuality" The info there will cover just about everything that is so often used to condemn the LGBTQ+ Family by misinterpreting the Bible.
    https://www.gaychurch.org/homosexuality-and-the-bible/the-bible-christianity-and-homosexuality/ I do hope this helps! Remember that you are apart of our LGBTQ+ Family and that we do care! Please keep us updated on how you are doing!! :old_smile: