1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with friend that wants more

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Jon Sol, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Jon Sol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a friend, "James" that helped me when I was coming out. (About 4 years ago. I'm 50, btw.)
    We've never been anything more than friends and I've stated that I don't see him "that way".
    (I felt I had to, since I wasn't looking for anything, serious. At the time.)
    Then, just over a year ago, I met someone, "Chris". And I've really fallen for him. Problem is, when I first started talking about Chris, with James. James had a melt down. Started crying about how he'll never meet anyone.
    How everyone he meets just wants to be friends. No one will ever love him. It was terrible.
    Then time went by and I hardly mentioned Chris to James. But as Chris and I got serious I wanted them to meet. Chris had no problem. James wanted nothing to do with it. And when I told him I think I've fallen in love, he had another melt down.
    I wanted to maintain my friendship, but Chris feels threaten by the fact that my "friend" doesn't want to meet him and feels there's something more between James and I since I seem to try to protect James' feelings so much.
    I do. I know I do. But it's beginning to look like i need to distance myself from James. He doesn't go out, except with me. and it feels like he wants this pretend pseudo relationship. I know if things keep going I'm going to lose Chris and that would devastate me.
    James wanted to see a pic of Chris and I should him one, but didn't show him the one of Chris and I together, that I had taken the night before. (I didn't want to hear it.) But when I told Chris that James wanted to see what he looked like. He, pointedly, asked if I showed him the pic of the 2 of us. When I said I didn't, he was hurt.
    (And I get it. I do.) I guess I just don't want to be the ass that has to tell my friend that we need to spend some time apart, until he can get used to the fact that I don't feel for him that way.
    I thought life would get easier once I came out.

74andHome and Tightrope like this.
  2. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are not responsible for other peoples meltdowns. Seems to me that James is just trying to quilt trip into you being with him, but these relationships rarely ever work out and it just causes more strain to you. Since you're grateful to James, then it's easier said than be done, but you need to be firm with him and set up boundaries.

74andHome, Tightrope and BiGemini87 like this.
  3. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Rayland: While I understand your desire to protect your friend and shelter him from pain, it's an eventuality--now whether that eventuality is with Chris or with someone else down the line really depends on how you handle things now. To put it bluntly, you are at a very important crossroads, one that's less of a road and more of a knife's edge; one misstep could ruin things for you, but even you walk on the edge perfectly, someone is still going to get hurt.

And if it's James, that isn't your fault or your responsibility. If you don't feel that way about him, you don't feel that way about him: there is nothing to feel guilty about, regardless of his behaviour over the fact. And however genuine his feelings might be for you, I do believe this is a manipulation on his part: like a toddler throwing a tantrum.

If you're really happy with Chris and really want things to work out, you need to set boundaries with James; if James can't respect those boundaries, then the consequences (i.e. you withdrawing from him) are on him, not you.

I get that this is difficult, though; truly, I do. But the right thing to do is seldom easy, and the right thing here is to not allow James to have power over your love life.

74andHome, Rayland and Tightrope like this.
  4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's better to walk away as nicely as you can from these sorts of situations. No one wins. Babying someone doesn't help them mature (even if they're already mature) and deal with other more difficult things they'll have to deal with in the future.

You will find that you maybe roped into more of these sorts of situations by people who play this victim role. And you will be made more miserable by all this, I think.

I don't think coming out or not coming out has much to do with this. This was just a person in that chapter of your life. These kinds of friends and acquaintances are found across the spectrum of people a person might meet. Like others have said, you are NOT responsible. You just happened onto someone who has these dynamics going on.

Not that you would need one for this, but do you have a therapist or counselor you see? How about a good and solid voice of reason? If you do, run it by them on how you might go forward with this.

Does "James" have someone he talks to for therapeutic reasons? If he does, he should be talking to that provider about this. It sounds as if "James" has a serious enough problem.

I empathize with you because I recently dealt with this within the last few years. The circumstances were very different. I was very clear (more than once) that I was not looking for anything ... with anyone. This person decided to ignore that and think that spending time could lead to something. When I finally pulled back, this person became sort of unstable, from what was told to me. Naturally, I was vilified by some friends we had in common, if you could call them friends. I feel so free to have broken away from such a draining situation. Unlike you, I'm not looking and am not expecting much. But, mostly, I don't feel that I should disclose my sexuality when keeping some people at bay is the biggest benefit I can see coming from it! Some people need to grow up and understand things like "he's not into you" or "water seeks its own level." I struggled with this same thing in my 20s and maybe a little into my 30s, but settled into understanding this. Someone not being accessible to you is very painful, so the thought of putting someone through that very thing is also painful to me. I get you.

74andHome and Rayland like this.
  5. Bob J20

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Coming out is the hardest thing I have ever done.

74andHome likes this.
  6. 74andHome

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Bob. Coming out is as scary as it gets. We each have to find to find our own path. They differ and what works one person might not for another. Each of us has to find their own path as does your friend. Stay with us, keep sharing, take good care of yourself. That works. Works for your friend too.

7. Vikki

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree about setting boundaries...

It sounds like you friend is lonely and needs to work out his own feelings/thoughts with someone - not you.

James sounds like a sensitive soul. Does James have anyone else? Any other friends? Attend groups?
    Maybe this will give him something else to focus on and find someone, even if it's just another friend.