1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to create a schedule for working at home.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Vega222, May 10, 2021.

1. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've made a few other threads about suffering from my remote job. I am a software developer who have been working at home since more than half a year ago. Recently, I have been unable to do my work (excessive procrastination, etc).

I want to try a new solution. I was thinking of creating a fixed schedule for my work. Like, specifying a time such as 8 am to 6 pm for doing my job every day. But I've never tried something like this.

Any idea about how to do it successfully? Tips? Tricks?

PS I don't have a laptop. So, I have to stay at home and I can't go to a library etc to work from there.

2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Vega222,

Sometimes setting the schedule can help, but if you are more motivated by a task list it might be workable to say from 9:00-11:00 I’m focusing on this software issue. Then I get up and walk for 15 minutes. Then I work on the next software issue, then a break for lunch.

Vega222 likes this.
  3. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Has anyone used this tool:
    https://www.focusmate.com/

Hey, I forgot something. I mean, when I'm given some tasks it'll be fine. But many times my employer wants me to learn more advanced things for days, without working on real websites/projects. This would be different. Learning can be boring. So, that's where I procrastinate much more.
    Especially, sometimes there are no straightforward tutorials for the things I want to learn.

I agree. Listing the tasks are great. I've done that sometimes. But forgot to list things after a few days.

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If keeping a running list of tasks helps, give it another try. Create a document and open it first thing when you start working. Leave it open throughout the day, adding new tasks and crossing off old ones. If you still have trouble remembering to open the document, try old-fashioned pen and paper. If you keep a handwritten list right next to your computer, it’ll be in front of you and harder to forget.

When it comes to the tasks where you have to learn how to do something, break it down as much as possible. Things like “Research resources” or “Watch X video” or “Experiment with Y.” Anything you can do to make the tasks measurable so you'll be able to tell that you're staying on track.

If possible, give yourself a separate space for your work than your personal space. I’ve been working from home off-and-on for a year, and I’ve turned my desk in the basement into my dedicated workspace. I sit down there when my work day starts, come upstairs for my lunch, and then go back down for the rest of my day. It helps to give yourself a mental separation of “This is the space where I work.”

5. sojabohnenfeld

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree here. Try to find different places where you do certain things... kind of like a dog. I would sit in one corner when I wanted to read, and in the other corner when I wanted to write. I did things like that, maybe you could try to focus on setting more?

Also. Does the computer strain your eyes? Sometimes I do naps that are one hour long and I cover my face in a heavy blanket to stop headaches while still being able to breathe. Maybe you could try this, as we use our eyes a LOT and I think it has been super helpful for me to stop staring endlessly at my computer. But that may not be an issue for you.

Vega222 likes this.
  6. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Changing place, settings, etc are not an option for now. I have a pc that can't be moved or changed. I do all of my stuff there. Working, studying, procrastinating, reading e-books, etc. But will buy a Laptop as soon as I can.

I am buying a webcam to use the focusmate website. It is basically having a person in contact via webcam and chat, when you both have a task to do at a same schedule. The two persons help each other by making one-another accountable.

Yeah, my eyes pain. Seemingly it gets dry. I use an expensive eye drop (for artificial tear) and it helps to some extend. I visited a doctor and he didn't do much. Just saying continue using the same eye drop, saying it's nothing important.

I sometimes take a nap during the day. It helps a lot. And it can be good for my eyes too.

sojabohnenfeld likes this.
  7. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get this too. The optician I saw about it recommended some eye gel, which seems to work. They also recommended running a face cloth under warm water and then resting that over (closed) eyes. With a lot of screen time, I think there only so much that you can do. When my eyes get very dry, I just avoid screens as much as possible when I’m not working.

With regards to keeping focused when working, I go out a 30 minute walk around lunchtime everyday, which helps to break up the day and with focus in the afternoon.

#7 LostInDaydreams, May 15, 2021
    Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Vega222 likes this.