1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to comfront my family

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Justindee13, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Justindee13

i came out awhile ago but im not sure if my parents accept it which sucks. i was wondering how i should comfront them about it. their thoughts and feelings about it. i want to but i dont know how to come up with the motavation for it. please help:bang:
    -justin

2. Greggers

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If you have the feeling that your parents might not have accepted it fully yet, then give them some materials to read. PFLAG has a good information kit for parents. You can find it under this link:

http://www.pflag.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Our_Daughters_and_Sons_Final_03.pdf

There is also a book entitled, "Now that you know," that you could get for them from the library, which is pretty good as well.

In terms of how to confront them or get them to talk about it, maybe when you do something, like trying to find a support group, or go to a GSA, you could just say, 'I joined a LGBT support group, or a GSA at my school.' You could also bring it up by mentioning that you have heard something on TV or read LGBT related stuff on the internet. You could also take the direct route and ask them, 'are you okay with it?'

But I'm wondering though, why do you think that your parents might not accept it? How did they take your coming out?

Hope this helps a bit!

#3 Mirko, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  4. Jim1454

Don't think of it as 'confronting' them. Just having a discussion with them. They might be hoping it's a phase and therefore don't want to talk about it. Or they might be as uncomfortable about the subject as you are. Just bring it up again in a non-confrontational way and have a discussion about how you're feeling about it, and that you'd like to hear how they are feeling about it...

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I agree with Jim. When you use the term "confront" it sounds like you are going to have a big fight. Your parents are probably in denial. I would definitely try to get them some educational materials. You could also tell them about PFLAG. Say "Hey Mom, you haven't said much since I came out to you. I just wanted you to know about a support group for parents with gay children that I know about." Show her the website to find a chapter: www.pflag.org Opening up the dialogue again can be as simple as that. Good luck!

6. Alex19

yea, what they^ said!

7. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    Eventually I'm sure they'll accept it, it may just take some time. You're still their same child, nothing's changed, except that you've discovered something new about yourself. Give them some time. And the PFLAG stuff would help, too. Try it out, it won't hurt, will it? :slight_smile: