1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out to my wife?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by veganguy, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there! Regular members cannot send private messages to other regular members. Only Full Members are allowed to that. You can however post messages on each others' walls once you each reach 10 posts. External information, private information and other Adult website links are not allowed to be posted here on Empty Closets in order to protect the members' anonymity and keep it general since we have members here who are 13 years old as well. Have a nice day!

2. mrpeach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, Veganguy. Thank you for being willing to talk to me through here. Basically, my "private question" I wanted to ask you was this: I wanted to ask you why you and your wife opted not to partake in an open relationship. No doubt you've both deliberated it considerably....something like that requires a great deal of careful thought. Only recently have I been reading up on what an "open marriage" means, and the results are surprising. It doesn't strictly apply to sexual contact with people other than your spouse; it can simply mean forming friendships and/or joining groups of other people that are likeminded (for example, meeting and making gay friends).

I only ask because an open marriage is something that I hope my wife would be open to. I love her more than anything. I still haven't found the right opportunity to tell her of my struggle and of my sexuality. This past weekend was spent visiting her family and it was wonderful. It made me incredibly sad and heartbroken thinking that this would be one of the last times I'd get to be a part of their amazing, loving family.

Has it gotten any easier for you? Reading your update on how you and your wife finally parted ways broke my heart, if I'm being perfectly honest. I don't want to lose the home we began together; I dread the day we'll have to take down our wedding photos from the wall and begin packing up our things separately. Again, I admire your strength (and hers) in being able to move through this difficult time. For you, I'm sure it was the best course of action.....for me, I still don't know. I'm confused and waver: one minute I'm resolved to the idea of us separating so I can fully embrace my gay self....the next, I'm terrified of losing my best friend and wife, wondering if coming out is even worth it since life is "seemingly" perfect with her. I just don't feel any sexual attraction to her or women in general at this point in my life. My other fear? What if I go back the "other way?" Meaning, human sexuality doesn't fit in neat little labeled boxes; It's a spectrum. For years I was in the middle (mostly) leaning more towards hetero....this past year, i've shifted exclusively towards gay. But what if years later I regress and regain my sexual attraction towards women? I would have lost my amazing wife by that point.

Ugh. I'm clearly a mess. Just when I think I have things figured out I get in my own head. I stopped seeing my therapist months ago. The guy was completely useless. So i'm just lost in my own thoughts.

In any case, I cannot thank you enough for sharing your story. If you don't feel like explaining your rationale behind your decision not to venture down the open marriage path, I'll respect that. I really wanted to hear it from someone similar to me (young, married, no kids).

Where are you traveling to? And for how long? I wish you the best of luck with everything, Veganguy. As always, thank you for your time.

Take care. Stay strong.

#22 mrpeach, May 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2017
  3. jdrhys

I'm 68 and have had relationships with both men and women. Your post really resonates with me. From my experience, it would hurt her much more if she finds out on her own. As difficult as it may sound, my recommendation would be that you talk to her about this, but in the context of your long and proven friendship. In other words, your deciding you're gay doesn't need to trigger a termination of your relationship with her. In fact, I've read many stories about couples maintaining their deep friendship in spite of his coming out to her as gay. It can actually deepen the friendship, your being honest and forthright with her. In some cases the couple has divorced but kept the family unit together, with the children understanding and accepting the father's "gayness" as well as their parents' evolving relationship. So many things are possible in this world that we've learned are not possible. Not everyone conforms to the idea of the panicked divorce and the breakup of the family. As humans, we all have a much more incredible capacity for understanding and change than we often give ourselves credit for. I was deeply touched by your concern for your wife. I encourage you to move forward and discuss this with her, not sugar-coating it, but letting her know that you consider your relationship with her an important, necessary part of your life. In the end, your relationship with her will likely remain the longest of your life.

I hope this helps you somehow. I think you can be true to yourself at the same time you're true to your relationship with your wife. Best wishes!

4. Lost4

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Veganguy, it's great to hear more of your story. It really is inspiring when I see the massive progress you've made in a relatively short period of time. Stories like yours are slowly helping me out of the closet. I've written the coming out letter for my spouse but yet to read it to her. I'm just waiting for the right moment.

5. BiGuy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I came out to my wife and family last year. Unfortunately, when I told this one guy, I wanted to "be with a man" to see if I was really capable of it, he moved way too fast and thought it was a hookup. It was not a good experience and hurt my wife; which I did not intend to do. I put focus back on her, but just before everything came out, I met a guy on a date sight and we talked on the phone for hours. We had a great connection. That acceptance, friendship, and common connection was something I really liked.

However, I come from a religion and belief system that has no room for this. Often I think of that conversation, but now I see I can only put effort into one relationship or the other one suffers. I don't think open marriages really work over time and, in my case, I would lose my religious affiliation and confuse my children. I don't know why I get the "urges" to explore the "forbidden side", but I do care for my wife and children greatly and I need to keep my promises. I look at my family and I am very happy to have them in my nice house and they deserve it. I was once told "well, you have a choice". I can commit to either way. However, one involves a family and generations of children with a spiritual promise , and one does not.

So, I do my best to stay on the wisest path. I hope you do too.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Veganguy, thanks so much for sharing your story here. One of the pieces that is often useful in such situations is understanding the stages that everyone goes through when processing loss: denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance.

So your wife (and perhaps you as well) were likely bargaining when she said "Well, you can be gay and we'll have an open marriage." The reality is that this usually doesn't work because the married partner starts to feel very uncomfortable as the gay spouse starts to feel connection with someone of the same sex.

The good news is that -- as we have often seen here on EC -- very often the "later in life" partners that split because one is gay or lesbian often remain best friends over time, and share a special bond that never goes away.

It sounds like both of you are processing this difficult time well. That doesn't mean there won't be bumps in the road, but I think you've probably come to the best resolution possible under the circumstances.

I hope you'll stick around and continue to share your feelings.

Veganguy and kablammo: Yes, sharing contact info on EC is not allowed until both member become full members (minimum 50 posts and 2+ weeks of posting at EC, then an application process that's currently taking about 4 weeks). You can post on each others walls in the meantime (I believe you have to have 10 posts to access wall posting.) The reason for the restrictions is to keep the community safe and focused on support; otherwise it would quickly degenerate into a hookup community, as just about every other online LGBT discussion community has become.

7. BiGuy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    This is the only forum I have used. Has it come to that on most other forum sites? I was not aware. Glad to hear you keep this site secure. One thing that messed me up getting sucked into a "hookup" that degenerated my original intention.

8. veganguy

Hi Kablammo,

To answer your question of why my wife and I opted to not partake in an open marriage, it was simply because we both wouldn’t feel comfortable knowing that the other was with someone else.

We started dating when we were 19, and have only ever slept with each other, so sleeping with other people is a much bigger step for us than most people in the first place. Additionally, we have such a strong connection and are very loyal to each other. I knew that I wouldn’t feel comfortable sleeping with someone else for fear of hurting her, and she felt the same about me.

We also then talked about how going down that path would potentially ruin what our relationship was. If we were both sleeping with other people (and not each other), but just coming home to each other, then what would our relationship be at that point? Just really good flatmates? We didn’t want that.

And I know that an open marriage doesn’t necessarily mean having sex with other people, but for us it would. Just talking with other gay men wouldn’t be enough for me, and I’m no longer attracted to women in a sexual way.

Has it gotten easier for me? In terms of being able to accept myself – yes, definitely. I have now told so many people that I think I am gay, and that I am going to explore that part of me, and it feels good to be honest and true to myself and others. But in terms of my actual life and dealing with the separation – no, not at all. Just like any other separation, we are going through a grieving process. I continue to question if I’ve made the right decision, or if I’ve made a horrible mistake. But I can’t go back in time, and I have to trust that I did make the right decision and to move forward with it. I know that I don’t want to live a life full of regret, and I think that denying myself would do that.

I also have that fear of “what if I go the other way” and lean more to women again in the future. I know that if that happened, and if I coupled with another woman, that my wife would be devastated. But, as it stands at the moment, I don’t feel attraction towards women at all and so I need to trust that.

I think that you should continue going to therapy, but just try and find a different gay-affirming therapist. My therapy sessions have been really helpful to me, to help clear confusions that I have etc.

And I’m going to travel initially to Vietnam with my wife for a 2 week trip, as a “last hoorah” kind of thing. We’ve always loved travelling together, and we want to continue being friends, so we booked this trip. After that, I’m going to travel alone to Costa Rica and Ecuador to work in an animal shelter (washing and walking dogs etc.), and then i’m going to go to Spain, where I will create marketing materials for a charity (I’m a Graphic Designer, and they have a program where they pair you with a charity). I’ve never travelled alone, but am really looking forward to it and being pushed to meet new people. The trip is the light at the end of the tunnel for me, giving me something to look forward to I guess.

Keep me updated on how you go with everything :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2017 at 09:10 AM ----------

Hi Lost4,

I was wondering how you were going! I'm glad that you've made progress. You can do it, it will be hard and scary and sad, but ultimately it's the right thing to do for both your partner and yourself.

Keep me updated :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2017 at 09:28 AM ----------

Another update from me.

My wife has found a place to live, and we are moving out next weekend. I'm still trying to find a place, but my friend has offered me his spare bedroom until I do.

I am really dreading moving day, and that moment when I physically drive away from my wife. Because then, it really will be over. My therapist says that I should make a series of plans with my wife afterwards (like an afternoon walk with the dog, or go to the movies etc.), so that we both know when we will see each other again, which I think will help.

I feel like I'm losing everything. My wife, my dog, and my identity. We've been together for 10 years, and when you are in a relationship for so long your identity kind of becomes merged. I'm truly not sure about who I am when I'm alone, or what I will be like, so this will be a big learning curve.

I also came out to my brother just last night. I was worried about telling him, as he has quite conservative views, but he surprised me and was 100% supportive. He told me that he loves me no matter what, and he thinks that I'm brave to be true to myself.

I really want to make some gay friends, and to try and get involved in the gay community. But, I live in a small city, and there just aren't any gay-specific events. We have a gay club, but I don't have anyone to go with and I don't feel ready to go alone (also, I'm not really sure if going to a gay club to meet people is the best idea).

I'll keep you all updated with how the move goes! I'm glad that people reading my story here are finding inspiration. It's helping me to express what I'm going through in a supportive community :slight_smile:

9. mrpeach

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    thank you so much for your update, veganguy, and for explaining to me they "why" that an open marriage wouldn't work for you. an update about me:

i finally talked to my wife this past monday. i was extremely terrified of having the conversation. she and i just got back the night before from a weekend camping trip where we enjoyed ourselves.....but the sheer stress alone from carrying this burden was taking a toll on my body. sparing you the gory details, i've basically been peeing out of my bottom for 10 days straight. i suppose that was my body's way of telling me that it was time to finally say this. my wife is amazing...in every meaning of the word. she's a social worker by profession, so she is an extremely empathetic person. the thing is, i couldn't be 100% honest with her. i just couldn't tell her that i'm gay, so i told her i was questioning my sexuality. of course she asked a number of questions, she was completely shocked, but she told me that she didn't care what i was as long as i was happy with myself and true to myself. i cried like a baby. now, she's going through the "processing" phase, and it's been really difficult. i've had the better part of a year to agonize and stress over this; she's just been hit by this train only for 72 hours as of my writing. we still love each other; there's no doubt. but the tension and awkwardness between us now is palpable. understandably so, she wants her space from me to think and process. it's difficult to remove yourself from a situation when you live with said situation. so we've been sleeping in separate bedrooms. i haven't been sleeping peacefully through the night. i hear her when she finally stirs awake in the morning, and then i hear her crying to herself. it fucking kills me. knowing that i singlehandedly could devastate someone like that, someone who i love more than anything.

since then i've had several ugly cries about this. i cried on my drive to work the morning after, and a few times while at the office. i don't know how to act around her, but all i can do is ask her how she's feeling and ask her what she needs from me. if she needs space, she lets me know. starting today she is out of town for a work related conference until sunday night....but she doesn't want to talk to me at all during that time. she won't even give me her flight information. i asked her to at least text me to inform me that she arrived safely, of which she has done. i get it. this kills me, but i get that she needs her alone time to figure things out.

the giant problem now, veganguy, is that i'm confused all over again. just when i thought i had things figured out, i'm back to square one again. for that reason, i'm glad i only told her that i'm questioning my sexuality rather than saying outright that i'm gay. because right now i truly don't know anymore. so i find guys attractive physically and sexually, but i don't want to be in a relationship with one. and since i finally released this burden and told her, i do truly feel some relief...and i feel that my attraction toward women has resurfaced. hopefully this isn't too much information, but sex for me always needed to be a state of mental tranquility. meaning, i can never perform if my mind is preoccupied or worrying about something (whatever it may be). my questioning my sexuality was such a debilitating burden on my mind that it kept me from wanting to be intimate with my own wife.....i was afraid to even touch her.

she asked me if i was bi, what would that do to our marriage? would that mean i would want to explore that side of me? i told her "no." and i do mean that as of now. why can't i just be bi and leave it at that? why can't i just find men attractive and leave it at that while simultaneously being attracted to and happy with my wife? she told me that she doesn't see our marriage being a problem if i was bi. but if i was gay, she already said that an open marriage would not work for her.

i found a new therapist and have an appointment to see her this coming tuesday. during this brief amount of time since i told my wife what i've been feeling, i miss her tremendously. i find myself imagining what our future could look like together and i love it. but she fears that i might be gay, and wants me to be 100% true to myself. she's devastated....she mourns over a possibility where we're no longer together and our future she dreamed of is gone. i mourn over that, too. i daydreamed about us becoming parents together, and for the first time i welcomed that possibility. i spoke to my new therapist when setting up my coming appointment, and she told me something that did bring me a little bit of hope: mine and my wife's future has a number of possibilities; we shouldn't dwell on the one bad one. she's right, but easier said than done.

my wife complimented me, telling me that speaking up about this was a brave thing to do. i don't feel brave. i feel guilt, heartbreak, confusion, fear and utter sadness/depression. i can only imagine what she's feeling. she doesn't feel comfortable in sharing that with me yet.

so yes. here i am: a confused mess with no more clarity now than when i started questioning things a year ago. as of now, one thing i can say for certain is that i'm not going to give up on me and her, and this very real possibility of losing her forever has reignited my desire to keep her and love her as true husband and wife.

as always, thank you for your time and for sharing your story, veganguy. i wish you the best of luck with your journey. you're in my thoughts for sure; i'm there cheering you on.

10. jdrhys

Guy, I just want to touch base and let you know that I was in a situation very similar to yours several years ago. However, she found out by accident, and we weren't married. We went for couples counseling with a woman in the San Francisco Bay Area (where we lived) who was well-known as a bisexual therapist. After several sessions my partner decided she didn't want to see me any more. So we said our tearful goodbyes.

And a full year later, I made contact again, and since then we've become best friends. I am so glad that I didn't give up. Based on this experience, for any relationship I now have a rule I feel I must always respect (unless it's hurting me too much to hang on): Never think of a relationship of *any* kind as being "disposable."

Not a full member yet, but your situation resonates with me, so I'll definitely watch this forum to see the progress I'm sure you'll make. Good Luck and Best Wishes!

11. veganguy

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give one last update on my situation as a sort of conclusion to my coming out process, as I feel like it's helpful for others to read how my situation has progressed. I'm not sure if I'll continue writing on this post after this, but will definitely still be active on forum in other posts.

I found a place to move in to, and didn't end up staying with my friend. I'm now living in a share house with 3 other professionals of a similar age to me, that is a 5 minute bike ride to my work (so convenient)! I wanted to live in a share house, as I knew that I would feel lonely and I wanted to be around people. So, I signed up to Flatmates.com and made a profile for myself, where I even mentioned that I was gay (as I wanted to live in a place that was accepting, and also because I want to stop hiding that part of myself). I found the perfect place, with a group of friendly social people! I didn't realise it when I applied for it, but one of the guys that I live with is also gay!

Moving was hard, and separating from my wife and dog was so painful. I helped her move into her new place, and then we parted. I cried a lot, but she seemed happy and excited to have her own place which helped ease my mind a bit.

I had told myself that I would try and be single for a while, to work on myself as an individual and work on being OK with being alone. But, damn I was so lonely on those first few nights in my new place (even with my flatmates around). As I mentioned before, I had already been on a dating app talking to guys, and I had made a good connection with one guy in particular. As it turned out, he lives 2 blocks away from my new place (total coincidence!), and so on night 3 of living in my new place he invited me over (he knew I had never been with a guy and offered to just fool around and take it slow) – don't judge!

When I met him in person, we immediately hit it off, fooled around a little, and he asked if I would stay the night. Craving the company, I said yes, and we spent the night cuddling/spooning. It was everything that I always craved, and words cannot describe how right it felt to be with another man in that way.

Since then, we went on a date (he bought me dinner!), and again I spent the night at his place. Just last night we had takeaway dinner and watched a movie together while spooning on the couch. We've agreed to keep it just as a 'casual relationship' for now as I still want to travel at the end of the year, so we'll just see what happens. I'm not a promiscuous person (I don't want or crave one-off hookups, but I do want intimacy and affection), so this arrangement works really well for me.

For my wife, she has also been seeing other men, which I think has been healthy for her. We see each other about once a week now, and talk openly about our new relationships and how we are both dealing with the separation. At times, it can be uncomfortable for me to hear about who she is seeing/what she has been up to, but I want to still be in her life and there to support her, so I can deal with that. We both still love each other, but that love has now evolved into good friends as opposed to partners.

I've been trying to keep myself busy to avoid feeling lonely and sad. I'm going to the gym regularly, started doing yoga (which has really helped with my anxiety), and have been reading more as well. I just spent a weekend skiing at the snow with my best friend and some of his friends, which was really fun! I invited one my work colleagues to come as well, and as it turns out he is also gay (he saw me on the dating app apparently)! We got along really well, and I think (hope) that it's the start of a good friendship.

So, as you can see from my story, it does get better. I realised that I was gay in February, came out to my wife in March and the rest of my family/friends in April, and am now separated and feeling a lot happier in June. It's been a turbulent, bumpy, taxing five months, and I've gone through so much pain, but my life finally feels like it is on track again.

Having this forum to share what I have gone through and read your comments of support and empathy have had more of an impact on me that you can possibly know. Thank you so much to everyone who has shared your stories and experiences with me, you have all helped me through the most difficult experience that I have ever gone through.

I would just like to end on one piece of advice – if you have come to the realisation that you are gay, just bite the bullet and come out of the closet. The longer you wait, the longer you will carry around those feelings of isolation, sadness, and shame. Reach out to your closest friends and family when you need them (or even here on this forum!), regularly see a gay-affirming therapist to help guide you in your journey, and take the time to look after both your mind and body. It's not easy, but in the long run you will be happier for it.

Looking forward to the next chapter in my life.

Lost4 likes this.
  12. Lost4

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Vegan, thank you so much for coming back and keeping us updated! Your story has been instrumental in my own progress of self acceptance. I am ecstatic that you've found happiness so quickly. It really is motivation for the rest of us.

Not that you need it, as you're already killing it, but best of luck with your new chapter!

P.s my offer of a catchup for a coffee next time you're in Sydney still stands!