1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out to Italian grandmother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Noel Luca, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Noel Luca

I'm going to Italy next week to visit my 88 year old nan. I'm not sure if my mum will allow me to come out then but if not I will be soon.
    I was wondering how I'd go about coming out to her. She is a quite(although not extremely) devout Catholic, and I highly doubt she will have heard of trans, or even gay people, which in a way could work to my advantage as she won't be prejudiced.
    She is very much holds on to old fashioned beliefs, having grown up in a time where she was caned for being left-handed, and she still believes men are more competent than women etc.

I was wondering how I could explain to her that I am trans and somehow get her to understand what that is and accept it.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

2. 50ishandout

Noel Luca,

I'm the first to advocate that it's your life and you should be happy. In this case your 88 year old grandmother loves you and at this stage of her life probably doesn't understand what you're going through.

Go to Italy have a great time and enjoy the time with your Nana. Sometimes we need to think of others.