1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to bring it up?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 3n, Jun 28, 2016.

1. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I want to come out to my
    Grandma. She's extremely accepting and I now she'll be fine with it, but I don know how to bring it up. Meaning I don't really know how to come out. How did you guys come out, because I have no bloody clue...

2. mirkku

Is your grandma the witty comments/advices type? If so, ask for her advice about which boys to avoid and which to keep near.

3. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    She is, but I'm not sure I'd have the courage to say something like that. I'm far too awkward to ask something like that. I basically have the bravery of a potato when it comes to this stuff lol
    Sorry

4. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "The bravery of a potato." I'll have to remember that one. :slight_smile:

5. MrHojalata98

One of the realizations that helped me the most when coming out, was the thought that there is really never going to be a "right time" to come out. Regardless of what you do or what you say, there is a very good chance it's going to be one of those hard awkward conversations. At least at first, and then what comes after is so much better, and so worth it. So just rip the bandage off. Just ask your grandma if you can talk to her about something, I know it's obvious enough and I'm sorry if it's not exactly the advice you were looking for. But from my own experience, any time I sat down someone important and made it clear to them how sure and important it was to me, not only did they take me the most serious, but they also appreciated the gesture. If you don't feel like you can get the words out of your mouth, just get them guessing. Just start by saying you have something important you want to tell them, but that's it's really hard for you to get through. If you start struggling, most people's reaction is to try and help you through it and they start to guess. You could also write a note and just sit with her as she reads it. I've never done something like that, but I know of a few people who have and it's worked out pretty well for them. Sorry I couldn't be any more help, I'm not exactly the creative type.

#5 MrHojalata98, Jun 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  6. mirkku

What? Potatoes are super brave! (*hug*)

Then, alternatively: either a letter like MrHojalata98 suggested, either wear a pride-theme wristband? Grandmas notice everything. (Everything.)
    That way she might initiate the conversation, and if she does not, play with the wristband a little.

7. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you for the advice. Coming out to her tommorow :grin:

8. TorBror

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other