1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I come out to friends?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CoffeeMug, Aug 31, 2022.

1. CoffeeMug

CoffeeMug Guest

They are all almost GSRM/LGBT themselves, but my term for my identity is very unknown and small, and the way I seem to work with names is very disappointing/frustrating (I can call myself something but not being called by a name AND being addressed by anyone makes me feel terrible).

They previously thought I was just disturbed or mentally unstable or traumatized, but now they're all much better and more understanding of things for me. They clearly want me to tell them, but I don't know how. I always stop myself from saying anything and panic.

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    CoffeeMug.....Can you explain a bit more about not being called by a name or being address by anyone? I guess I don't quite understand what you are trying to say.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. CoffeeMug

CoffeeMug Guest

Sure!

If someone calls me by a name, I'll use a random name I'll make up for example, it gives me this really uncomfortable feeling. So if someone calls me Sbeve, even though I love the name Sbeve and want to be called Sbeve, I'll feel immediately uncomfortable and gross being addressed as that. It's like the feeling that someone deadnamed me I guess? Like, the name hurts me. However, not being addressed at all and not having a name gives me the same feeling, because I have a name and nobody uses it.

I have a few names I like, and I wear them on me as necklaces whenever I feel like those names fit me. I find comfort with those names. But I cannot hear anyone use them, it ruins the names every time no matter how long they're used. The longer someone uses a name to address me, the worse the feeling gets.

4. Ebony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I just say go for it tell them at a restaurant or your home it seems they would be ok with it.

5. CoffeeMug

CoffeeMug Guest

I guess, but I don't know how to overcome this constant panic and anxiety I have. It's the previous experiences that trigger me into feeling like I can't ever explain myself to anyone.

6. Ebony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    If it’s really this bad you might want to go see a therapist

7. Ebony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Oops reply to the wrong thing what I should of said is if you want to do it it’s fine if not that’s ok to do it when you feel like you can

8. CoffeeMug

CoffeeMug Guest

Oh don't worry I'm seeing a therapist, I'm always seeing one lol
    And I never feel like I can do it, it's been like this for years now, and it never gets easier. I'd love to, but I just can't.