1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How religion affects your daily life?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Vega222, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What's religion's role in your daily life? Does it affects your life negatively or positively?
    So, Here a recent unprecedented online survey showed that about half of Iranians have lost their religion.

These days my problem is that my eldest brother prays all the time loudly. This is really unbearable. Don't know why they like to do their prayers and other religious ceremonies so loud here. This is crazy.

During the year there are various religious ceremonies in this country. And they like to do it very loudly and do it in the streets (blocking the way obviously). I'd call the ceremonies barbaric as they really are. It satisfies them to show up with their ugly violent ceremonies, forcing everyone to notice their sound.

2. Josh745

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well it depends upon the person(s) how they take up religion within themselves. I have a question. Does a person(s) takes up a religion in his life or he takes belief of God in his life(lives). I think it's answer has answers to all the problems regarding religious conflicts.
    As of Speaking prayers loudly I feel it occurs when a person or group feels insecurity and wants to strengthen his bond with God(though mentally) or within eachother. It is done to keep up the spirit he/they are bound with.
    Also it is done when such society feels that certain fractions occur within itself which are different in spirit to the common spirit of the mass. So in order to check them, keep them under control and publicizing the common spirit loudly so freshers may become hesitant to join those fractions. It is sociology. Somewhere it might be related to religion but it is sociology.
    If religion is not taken into account, your brother could have behaved in a similar manner if he was furious on something else too.
    So what I want to say is that the kind of behaviour you are complaining of a person or persons may be an individual/social/non religious reaction or such reaction may be coming from any social and religious issue.
    In my own family my own brother behaves badly we all feel bad. Here there is no religious issue but mentality.
    If you have some other aspects of the problem left behind pls tell.

3. Josh745

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Also one more thing to mention. The title you chose for your thread might attract different dimensional answers not exactly pointing to the actual problem described in the post. This is what I feel atleast.

4. Josh745

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sorry for posting continuously but want to answer to the title of the thread. It is
    How does the religion affects your daily life?
    Well for an individual who has happily accepted it as a path to God, anwer is peaceful.
    But its effects actually depends upon the group with which you follow that religion. Because group always tries to keep up group mentality (popular mentality) above all. Again it is sociology. (I hope I am not going against EC's code of conduct here).
    Whether this popular mentality is righteous can be debatable until doomsday.

For me my religious life gives some sort of peace. This is what I mainly seek from Him despite other things.

5. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just ignore it.

6. yasmin02

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How loud is your brother praying? When I make the prayers (In public because my parents don't let me pray) I whisper so quietly that I look like a crazy person whispering to myself unless I am in Sujood. Please tell me your brother isn't waking up at two in the morning to pray all like "ALLAHU AKBAR! AUDHU BILLAHI MIN ASHAYTAN NIRRAJEEM!"

7. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank for replying.
    What do you mean "taking up"?

Agree. I know this is normal and happens with any person. But this answer works for more normal societies. I wouldn't mind if I hadn't lived in such a religious apartheid. You're asking me to think of it just like any other noises. I can't.
    I don't want to complain too much and explain what makes these sounds different from others.

Also you're right. My brother was having really hard days and still he has. He has a bullying wife and they're going to separate. Has lost all he had. She even doesn't let him to see his children.

8. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was curious about others' experiences. Wanted to know how it is for others.

This is good. You get peace from your religion and also I believe you (and others in your society) don't force it to others.
    But here it's not the same. My brother, I think he tortures himself by doing prayers all the time. Just because he thinks god wants him to do it. He thinks the more he repeat it the more chance to accept it by god. That's another reason I can't bear it. I think he really doesn't like to do it but force himself to do it. This is crazy.

9. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's loud enough to drive me crazy. But excessive repetitiveness is the problem.
    Why your parents don't let you to pray?
    No he doesn't wake up and disturb our sleep during night. But he does pray most of the day. He does say similar repetitive phrases all the time. Even when we're talking with him. Even when he's listening to radio or watching tv.
    You know I got tired of it. But I think it's not just me. Others in our house are sick to death of it too. And they're all religious. So, It's not just me.

#9 Vega222, Oct 7, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  10. yasmin02

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thatś odd. My parents aren't Muslims and think that Islam is un american

11. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Let me just smile. This is funny. A few decades ago almost all of people were muslim here. Now maybe 40%.
    You and I are somehow on the opposite situations on family matters. :slight_smile:)
    I can't complain about my bother because it may bring other things up. It can cause problems for me and point fingers towards myself. This may make them think I am against their beliefs. My Mum may insist I should do daily prayers. She prefers his son to pray all the time than not praying at all.

#11 Vega222, Oct 7, 2020
  12. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Odd thing about some "christians", in a nation created to foster freedom to worship the way you want to they will condemn someone for worshiping differently than they do. My family is the same way. In fact my family and other religious extremists are what drove me to be antireligionist and apatheist.

13. yasmin02

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Really? Iḿ sorry about your situation.

14. yasmin02

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, they gave me a book about the Iraq war after they took my Qur'an and said it would give me real American Knowledge. There was a character in there who had a tattoo that said Christian Crusader in Arabic. Also they said that born Muslims don't know better but I do cause I am 'merican. Haha. Sorry about your family.

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not particularly religious, but either because of my upbringing or personality, have always had an interest in topics like the afterlife. Even atheists can find something of value in The Bible/Quran/Tao Te Ching/Four Vedas/etc without getting sucked in. Religion has played such a central role that you CANNOT fully understand humanity without some grasp, especially when it bleeds over into so many other areas.

16. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No problem. I'm ok. On the contrary, I try not to upset my Mum by expressing my negative opinions about their religion. I remain silent or even sometimes pretend I am a believer. As much as I can.
    What's the point in attacking their beliefs and upsetting them? Unless they push me too much, I take things easy.

17. Josh745

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I meant "how does one sees it in his life". Though it sounded like adopting a religion. I used that word on philosophical ground. It covers both cases like when a person is born and raised in a family or he chooses a different religion of his choice.

Reading to your further replies things became more clearer about your brother. Now at this point what I said earlier gets divided into two branches or say subheads.
    1. Taking your brother's problem as individual problem considering he is not part of any such group doing such things in society as a signature of themselves.
    2. Or it is a group's problem which is doing like that in society and your brother has fallen into such people.

For point number one when he is doing such thing as an individual and not doing as a part of any socio religious movement kind of thing and also you have said he has having troubles in his personal life. And also if he is not misbehaving in any other way I request you to bear with him. He is going through a rough phase and I feel he is feeling desperate and lonely. For a religious person his only seek when he becomes lonely is God. That's why he is praying excessively. You may find ways to counsel him through local Moulana(the mosque leader) or your mother. Right upto this point I am completely unaware of his personal nature and temperament. You know it so pls take remedial measures keeping his temperament or his possible reactions in account while doing so. May be he just needs consoling or a feeling of security which he is currently unable to get from his surroundings. When martital life disturbs it becomes a complex thing. So if he is seeking God in his trouble he is using the only available mean with him(according to his psychology) and is right somewhere but his actions are troubling others.
    You might feel that I am more sympathetic for your brother but I am not. I am considering his personal problem into account at first. Check whether he is feeling lonely and desperate. If yes find suitable remedies for him. If No we can discuss that in next post as this one too has become a bulky post.

18. Josh745

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My religion is not one particular religion. I am rather different. I take up good things from all religions. I want to embrace whole mankind as one. Searching for some Pan-love kind of thing. Yes I don't force my religion to others. Don't want to comment on others of my society. Will do that in some other thread later.

19. Josh745

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I somehow agree with you.

20. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That was helpful. Thank you.
    However any action by me will probably betray my feelings. They'll probably realise my feelings towards their religion. Even other family members don't do something and don't complain because they don't wanna act supposedly blasphemous. I am already a bit notorious for being unbeliever, So if the things heat up, I don't know how they'll act.

A few days ago, My mum said don't say prayers when you are in cars because it may annoy other people. He replied "they play loud music themselves" (so I have that right to do prayers as well)!
    That's not logical. Not all of drivers do that. Plus, They don't repeat 5 seconds of a song for one hour! Also they don't play music for god. They just want to enjoy it. But when you annoy people by praying, It defeats its purpose in the first place!

#20 Vega222, Oct 7, 2020