1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How realistic is it to find a gay guy who wants to date

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Guywest79, Apr 5, 2018.

1. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Again, this doesn't seem to match up with my experience or the experience of my friends. I suspect a large portion of the difference is the apps. You mention getting blocked so I assume that's a substantial part of your dating activity. I can't speak really directly to that experience as I've never used them and even if I ever was back on the market don't believe I ever would. But I do have quite a few friends who use them or have used them--friends who date, friends who have a wide array of gay friends, friends who've since gotten married--and they used them for sex. They made friends and found people to date elsewhere. It's a little like offering someone pizza at a Thai restaurant. Most people are going to say no, not because they don't like pizza, but because they came for Thai food.

My guess is that most straight people would say the apps are for sex as well. Is it worse on the gay side of the fence? Yeah, my guess is that it is. The fact of the matter is that the bar for entry is so low on the apps, and from what I glean from my friends they are just chock full of people who are closeted, married or generally uncomfortable with being gay. These people are, for obvious reasons, going to be up for a tumble but certainly aren't going to take you home to meet their mother. If you really are looking to date I would suggest meeting people doing something that is more integrated into their actual life, at the very least something that their friends know they do. If their mother knows all the better.

Guywest79 and Richard321 like this.
  2. smurf

It honestly probably has to do with your profile and the vibe that you are giving off. Its really hard to say without seeing some of your conversations and your profile.

I have met some really good people through the app. Some people who years later I still talk to and some people who we spoke for months at a time, but have sense never spoken again. All wonderful caring guys though.

My husband sucks at apps. Its not something he truly enjoys and he never seems to be able to get guys to speak for a while. He usually meets guys during his everyday life. I enjoy meeting guys on apps and I can talk to guys for weeks before getting together. I don't usually enjoy hooking ups with guys I meet at groups because I enjoy having platonic gay friends.

You have to figure out what works for you and what truly adds to your life

Guywest79 likes this.
  3. Guywest79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the key is if I stay n the geographical area I'm in..long story visavis job career....theni will seek out groups..some good feedback fr replies...i think my profile doesn' sizzle on some apps....andbi think ts all about the sizzle..we almost all do it...look at a pic..not grabbing our attention..move on....or profile has great pic no words then move on..andif guy is closet yah he may have other issues that make him only want quick sex etc...i guess I look back to 10 plus years ago before I took self off market and it seemed easier ..maybe I'm giving some subconscious vibe....have I met ppl yes...but it' not going how I want....so do truly apprec advice...thank you to all who replied