1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old we're you when you discovered your attraction to the same sex?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TinyBee, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Fiddledeedee

I was just barely turned 14. I saw Pippa Middleton in the photos of the Royal Wedding, and she's the first woman I consciously registered attraction to. That triggered my questioning and consequent realisation of my sexuality.

2. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I knew I was attracted to women already at about 12-13 but living in a post-USSR country (i.e., information vacuum) I didn't really know any terms or theories or anything, therefore didn't see myself as gay or bi or straight. It was just a random feeling I had, among many others. At 15-16 everything became clear though.

3. Zeevie

I was about 12-13 when I remember thinking to myself, "wow, she's really pretty," in a more than just complimentary kinda way.

But, it took me another few years to say "yeah, I'm definitely into girls in a big way." Right up to about 19-20 to consider it was actually my sexuality and not just curiosity. But, I've always been kinda disinterested in the whole dating scene, preferring to be single and help out my friends with their relationship problems over the years instead of actually being in one. Needless to say that has changed:lol:

4. sysreq

realized - 11-13
    accepted/came out - 13-14-now!

5. lovely lesbian

27 28 so that not that long ago

6. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well pets see for me I liked boys and girls at the age of 7 but I didn't realize what homosexuality was. Soon at the age of 13 I liked boys and thought that I was gay. But at the age of 16 i realized that I was bi and accepted it.

7. Yun2013

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure when, but its been years ago.

It still feels... different, I guess? Different that I am actually saying it out loud. I've had a sexual attraction to men for as long as I can remember. I suppose some time in high school.

8. Adam1212

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It was about age 10 that I realized that I was having a curiosity about other boys. I didn't really think of it as sexual attraction. It was when I was 13 that one day it suddenly occurred to me that the feelings I was having for other boys were the feelings that I was told my whole life I was going to be feeling for girls when I became a teenager. I didn't have a good grasp of the words "gay" or "homosexual" at that point (it was 1977), so for a long time after that I just kept thinking, "This isn't normal." I first really acknowledged I was gay in college and then have gone through decades of denial, only recently accepting myself and who I really am.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Last year when I was 13

10. UndercoverGypsy

Grade 6 was my first crush on a guy, although I convinced myself otherwise somehow. It probably would've been earlier, but I went to an all-boys school in England until grade 5 where I would have been scrutinized even more than I already was if I was crushing on guys.

11. Mzansi

Mmm well I don't know,
    When I was younger I had crushes on girls,
    And I did well into my early teens,
    But I'd say my first same sex attraction/experience,
    Took place when I was 14,
    I only considered myself gay though when I was 16,
    Which is when I came out :slight_smile:

12. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    11: started finding a few boys were somehow special because of their looks. Nothing sexual, just I dreamt how wonderful it would be to be their best and only friend.
    12: first major crush, and it was on a boy. I knew I had to keep it secret, but it was also a relief because it explained a lot.
    13-15: continued to get crushed on boys and never on girls. I just lived with my secret without thinking about it much.
    15-19: started to wonder: can I be gay?
    20: came out to myself as gay.

13. CupcakeKisses

I was 12(ish) when I realized I liked my best friend more than a friend should.
    I was 14 when I had my first girlfriend and came out

14. frostedflakes

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I discovered my attraction the same sex, I was in 12th grade (my senior year). I was 17/18 at the time.

15. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Noticed something weird when I was about 7. I was really shy and uncomfortable, and never understood the whole "It's okay because we're all girls" idea for things like changing in front of others or kisses on the cheek. At age 12, I kinda had a crush on a girl but didn't realize what was going on, and dismissed it as nothing. Finally accepted I was bi last year, at age 14.

I'll be honest, it's really reassuring to see these posts, and to know that it's different for everyone. For a while, I thought I was too young, and had to wait until college or something before I could be totally sure of who I was. Now I know that's not the case! :icon_wink

16. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I knew a lot longer than I recognized, earlier this year or a little before that I started to question (more like full blown panic). For awhile I thought it was impossible for me to know so young but I see its not so yea.

17. noahb1996

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've had attractions to boys for as long as I can remember, but it hit me hard when I was about 11. I was 16 when I finally accepted it and it took me about another 6 months to tell someone.

18. SweetNShySam

SweetNShySam Guest

I've realized I was attracted to woman when I around younger, but I didn't truly know about it until I was 18. When I was younger, I remember I came close to kissing one of my friends, but I stopped myself cause I didn't want her mother to stop me from hanging out with her.

19. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    6th grade, denial until the summer after 8th, so I was about 11 or 12 when I noticed it and denied until I was about 14

20. Kreiger

There were plenty of clues along the way, from longing glances and such, but they got sexual around 13 and I managed to deny it till last summer.