1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old were you when you came out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by OtherMe, Jan 20, 2015.

?

At what age did you come out or intend on being out by?

1. 11-

0.8%
  2. 12-13

6.0%
  3. 14-15

17.3%
  4. 16-17

20.3%
  5. 18-19

15.8%
  6. 20-21

13.5%
  7. 21+

26.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OtherMe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just wandering at what age you guys (or girls) came out at or intend on being out by. Also like to know responses you got. Thanks
    -OtherMe

2. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was 19 (or maybe 18.5). I'm in my fifties now, so this was before the Internet and homosexual activity was still illegal, so I didn't know much about other gay people. A couple of years earlier I wouldn't have even heard of being gay (mostly because I was slow to figure out such things, but it also wasn't talked about much).

I had mixed reactions. Lost one supposedly close friend, others didn't care. Mother didn't cope well, father was cool. I had just finished a year away at college and didn't have any of my old friends around, so most of the new people I tried to meet were gay. I was kicked out of a house I rented a room in, but that was the ignorant owner of the house, not the mostly straight college kids who lived there. They were fine with me.

These days, I suppose it's possible to come out much younger, with more information and more role models available, but since sexuality can be in upheaval in the mid-teens, I'd wonder if I was correct about my feelings.

3. chocolate dream

I came out to my sister when i was 16.She was the first person i told.Im not out to everybody tho and im 40 this year.I dont think you ever stop coming out to people.

4. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was probably about 16 when I first told my best friend I liked guys.

I must have been about 19 or 20 when I came out to my family. :slight_smile: That one was the tough one. So I put 19 on your poll.

5. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

23. It was only a few months ago but it was a massive relief.

6. Rainbows~Exist

I came out at 14 years old on January 1st 2014 at 12.24 am

7. Whisper

Out Status:
    A few people
    I was 16-ish when I came out to my mom and one of my grandmothers. Later on, two friends and stupidly, my homophobic cousin. Though he's one of those people who is freaked out by gay guys (threat to his masculinity?) but think two chicks together is hot. :rolle:
    At the time I told them I thought I was a lesbian- only my mom has been updated that I'm bi. Whatever, though.

8. Tohru-Chan

I came out as a lesbian when I was 19. My mom still insists I must be bisexual. Which i am not. I like girls. And my dad told me he was wondering when i would tell him xD

9. biffle50

biffle50 Guest

I came out in 6th grade, the responses were okay but they got worse. Later after that I tried to commit suicide. Now everyone doesn't really care anymore but some people are still jerks. My family was really supportive, my dad said you still need to have kids.

10. TheDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to my sister when I was 19. A year later to my other sister. And at 22 to my mom :slight_smile:

11. Lyana

Started a couple months ago, so 18, and right now the most important people in my life know, except for my parents -- and I think I'll tell them soon.

So far everyone has been great. Surprisingly great, really. My friends I knew would be cool, but some random people have found out and just not cared at all, which is exactly the way I wanted it. Family's reaction is going to be harder.

12. PressPlay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  13. hat123

Started just a couple month ago (18 year old), starting with my friends, my siblings and finally my parents. Surprisingly, everything goes well! I feel so blessed :slight_smile: .

14. Lyonhearte

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out during my freshman year. I looked at myself in the mirror one day, stared myself straight in the eye, and said "Dude, you're gay," and proceeded about my day.

15. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was 20 when I came out to the first person I ever told (my therapist), and I told my psychiatrist when I was 20 as well. I came out to my roommates, immediate family, and some of my friends when I was 21.

My therapist and psychiatrist reacted well, but that's kinda their job and they're well-educated, so that was to be expected.

The first roommate I told had an amazing initial reaction, but as time went on, he started showing more layers I hadn't seen prior and he turned out to be a homophobe :dry:. The other two roommates had an amazing reaction as well, and one of them continues to be an awesome friend/support to this day.

My family took it well. My mom and dad said that, when I sent them the email, they could tell that I dealt with a lot of anger and pain over the years and felt really bad about it. One of my friends said he suspected it and was glad I told him. Another friend (who's bi) didn't make a big deal out of it (and though she didn't say it, I'm 99.9% sure she suspected it before I told her). And two other guys I met at my new school took it extremely well and acted like it was nothing out of the ordinary. It was like there was, literally, no difference, whatsoever, between before telling them and after telling them, and it felt amazing.

So, yeah, so far I've only gotten positive (initial) responses, but I'm sure I'll get some negative responses at some point.

16. ANewDawn

Came out to my therapist when I was 19. Have started coming out to other people since I turned 20.

17. DeviantAttitude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I voted 20-21 but actually I intend to be out next year. I'll be in college by then and hopefully no one will give a crap.

18. emri

I first came out to one friend and my then-girlfriend (and probably her sister) when I was 17 or 18. I planned on coming out to more people in college, but I started dating another girl and tried not to think about it until last year when I turned 26 (though I think I came out to my best friend when I was 25). So yeah, there's no one answer for me.

19. MrSkittles

Last year I first told someone I was gay.

20. CrazyAwkward

I was 24 when I came out to my parents, sister, and most of my immediate family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.