1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old do you have to be to legally move out?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MtnFr3sh, Mar 20, 2013.

1. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Things haven't been going well, I plan on moving out of this hellhole of a town and house as soon as possible, would try to get emancipated but I'm not even old enough for that (16) and I don't have anywhere to go if I did, and if I tried the courts would probably deny it and put me in my father's custody. That's the LAST thing I want.

How old do you have to be to legally move out of your parent's house in Texas? And hat might those requirements be? I get varying answers at other websites, some saying you have to be 18, some saying 17, and some saying 17 with parental consent. I would hope it's at least 17 because at 17, I'd have a place to go when I get free, but sooner would be better.

2. Zontar

I think a more important question is, how much money do you need? Because I'm 22, I have a decent amount saved up, and am still as good as homeless without continual income. You have to be eighteen to move out, but that's far less of an obstacle than the financial angle.

3. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Finances aren't really a BIG problem, once I'm 16 I'm getting a job and saving up. Plus part of my HS curriculum requires a type of money management class so that's gonna help and I'm taking that now. I'll be moving in with my boyfriend who isn't here right now but will be later about the time I can ditch this place.

#3 MtnFr3sh, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  4. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You do not "naturally" develop legal independance until the age of majority in your state, which is usually 18. This means you are under your parents jurisdiction until then, from a legal perspective. However, you can apply for emancipation, which basically gives legal control over to you. However, the process is not simple, and usually requires that you prove you can support yourself financially, will have residence, etc.

You could just leave and stay with your boyfriend, but your parents could legally have you brought back into their care. Also, I'm assuming your boyfriend is roughly your age, so he's probably living with his parents. I'd make sure that's fine with them first, and that they're prepared to have you for an extended period of time, until you turn 16 and get a job.

Once you have a job, you can look up cheap living in your area through youth services. They'll probably be able to find you a room to rent somewhere. Good luck, and don't make this decision lightly.

5. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    old enough to go to college... then move out and go stay near campus, or in the dorms..

best years of my life staying in college dorms... and i was 17 when i went college (university)

6. castle walls

I want to start off by saying that I am not a lawyer and this should not be taken as legal advice. If you want legal advice, please contact a lawyer.

First off, don't forget that you cannot enter into a contract until you are 18. That is an important detail and will create a serious road block for almost everything.

Do you have parental consent to move out? If you have parental consent, then you and your parents should meet with a lawyer together to make sure everything is done legally.

If you do not have parental consent. . .
    I find it hard to believe that Texas would allow you to move out without parental consent but your parents are still responsible for you. I did a quick Google search and I didn't find anything that says you can move out at 17. However, I did find this:

Texas Penal Code Title 6 Sec.25.04

Sec.25.06 (same link as above)
    If those codes are enforced, it could easily bring trouble to whoever is staying with you or whoever has entered into contracts for you (for example is renting a place for you). It doesn't mention age so it looks like if you move in with your bf but your parents don't like it they can have him arrested. Like I said, I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. I recommend that you contact the local police and a lawyer if you want legal advice.

I'd wait until you are 18 to move out. If there is abuse, please contact CPS

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In practice, it's pretty rare for anyone to get charged with supporting/helping a teen who leaves home. So if you could find someone to take you in, likely that could be made to work.

But there's a bigger issue here: You are mostly glossing over the difficulties of supporting yourself. It is near impossible to live comfortably on a minimum wage job, and at 16 (or 18), uniess you have unusual skills or are extremely lucky, you're going to get stuck in a minimum wage job, likely with less than full-time hours. Additionally, working full time makes it nearly impossible to go to school and do well, so your academics will likely suffer.

Also, speaking based on some of your other posts, it doesn't sound like your relationship with your boyfriend is the healthiest, as you've talked about his emotional and esteem problems. Moving in with his family would put even more stress on your relationship, not to mention inconveniencing his family. It's an awful lot to ask.

The situation with your mother (again, going back to your earlier posts) sounds complicated, and further complicated by the fact that she is apparently willing to simply lie or otherwise deny her own behaviors. It does sound like she's got some serious emotional issues, and likely, if an evaluation were done, she'd be unlikely to be able to hide that if a competent social worker or therapist evaluated the two of you and your living situation. From what you describe, it sounds unhealthy, but probably not reaching into the realm of actually abusive, so it seems unlikely you'd get much help from CPS.

Which leaves... talking with her about the problem. This involves a lot of effort on your part, and a lot of emotional strength, but don't for a minute think that any of the other solutions you're thinking about are any easier or more practical. They're not.

You do hold the cards to a certain extent; your mom is clingy and your relationship is enmeshed in a very unhealthy way, and what she wants more than anything is you. So you can use what she wants to establish clear, healthy boundaries for yourself. It means a *lot* of arguments, her pulling every possible stop out to make you feel like crap, call you ungrateful and every other name in the book; this always happens when people with no boundaries have boundaries imposed on them.

Basically, you sit and come up with reasonable boundaries. You want to be left alone, be able to go out so many hours a week, do whatever. In exchange, you agree to help reasonably around the house, spend 1 or 2 nights a week with her, and so forth. And maybe, in the deal, encourage her to go to therapy and offer to go yourself, perhaps with her, to some sessions for the both of you.

She probably won't want to agree to any of that, but if you basically say "We can start to redefine this relationship in a healthy way, or you can continue as it is, but if you do that, it will continue to deteriorate, so that as soon as I possibly can, I will move out, and that will likely be the end of our relationship, at least for a long while. I don't want that, and you don't either, so let's discuss a reasonable middle ground. If we can't come to terms, then we should see a therapist to help us with it."

She'll rebel, object, threaten... but if you're calm, reasonable, don't give in to any of her emotional manipulations, and remember that she's going to use every trick she can... and don't let them get to you... in time, you can make a pretty dramatic improvement in the situation, because at the end of the day, she doesn't want to alienate you, and has to realize that if she continues as she is, that she will.

I hope that helps.