1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many men here have male friends

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BloodyRose3000, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friends are about 2/3 male, 1/3 female. (Overall, not individually.) I dunno, I've never had any trouble making friends of either gender. I've met them at concerts, at sporting events, at social gatherings, all sort of places.

Lex

2. photoguy93

Oh, I'm totally a "girl" when it comes to this. It's nothing bad, really. I have super long responses.. if it's a small response, I'm usually mad. haha.

I don't watch any sports, I don't really care about them really..... I do love music, but then again, not many straight men listen to Pop/Dance/Alternative/Electronic. It's not even that. I think that if I found a straight male who liked..., say "Of Monsters and Men" it would still be a really small conversation.

With a guy.
    "So, you like OF&M?"
    "Yes, they're cool."

With a girl..

"So, you like OF&M?"
    "Oh my, yes. I think it's a great group. I actually saw them live when I went to Iceland."
    "Oh, Iceland? Never been... but I have been to Paris."
    "Paris? I so want to go there.....when did you go?"
    "I went two years ago..."
    This will continue, until someone stops replying.

Now, this is a stereotypical way of looking at it. But I just think that *most* guys just don't care. Now, this replies to straight men (sorry, heteros). But it's just true!

3. Ticklish Fish

here's this thing..
    some people are great at elaborating and carrying on a conversation...
    but a lot of people seems to kill it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

gotta keep trying yo

4. photoguy93

I had a pretty normal mix of friends when I was younger (guys, girls..etc.) Then once middle school came around, it was pretty much all girls. I don't blame any one person - I just didn't understand guys and I didn't do anything they liked.

I personally don't know if it's even something I need to worry about. Granted, I've started to have some friendships on here with some gay guys, but that's just a different ballpark. I sometimes want a change of pace and would like being friends with a guy, but that's probably just going to be someone I want to date.....or someone who is just really comfortable.
    I think that, say....20, 30, 40 years from now, our kids will be different, maybe? Right now, it's not the time and place for straight men to be friends with gay guys, like the friendships we have with our girls. Or if it does happen, it's just very few and far between.

5. PeteNJ

6. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I avoided getting male friends ... Straight ones because I was afraid they would turn hostile on me when they discovered I was gay ( that's what internalised homophobia does for you) and I hardly knew any gay men due to my sheltered existence. So most of my friends were women for a long time. It's all a bit crazy and sad ...

I would encourage anyone to overcome inhibitions like these as early in life as possible ..

7. Van

Van

I can totally relate. :slight_smile:

8. Lewnatic

I have very little, but I find that I'm uncomfortable around guys. It's a confidence issue, because I'm always thinking of my sexuality in response to them, whether they know it or not. My friends will tell me I'm not your "average" gay, meaning I lack the femininity of many gay men, but I'm still far more comfortable around girls. I have plenty of gay friends who are guys and have solely guy friends. It's not so much to do with sexuality, but to do with confidence and how you feel around them. Hopefully one day soon I will feel like I can fit in among them, but right now I feel like an alien.

9. CptnBeefheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't have friends

10. JPC

JPC Guest

I would say pretty much all of my close friends are straight guys, I have more in common with guys than with girls. I don't have any gay friends really either, some acquaintances only. I have maybe one or two female friends that I would consider myself close with.

11. I just generally get on better with girls, I feel a lot more awkward and weird around boys and I don't know why. Around 3/4 of my friends are girls and the rest are boys. I've also got one transgendered friend.

12. mpac21

I've got quite a few male friends (probably the majority honestly), the vast majority straight. They've been all pretty much there since even before I came out the closet, hell, a couple who I grew up with since kindergarten. I've been fortunate that they've pretty much accepted me who I am.... I think it's best to just go with the flow and try to remain calm...its then when you may find common ground and something to talk about I've found over the years. Don't get me wrong it's hard sometime but with time, it becomes more natural.. :slight_smile:

13. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    All my friends are male.

The female friends came along with my boyfriend. I donĀ“t know if I should consider them as "my friends" (yet).

14. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In high school I didn't have many friends but about 95% of them were guys. In university I'd say about a third of my friends are guys. It doesn't help that I made all my friends through my course and my flat; I live with 7 people and only one of them is a guy and my course is like 80% female (one of my straight guy friends once said to me 'It's kinda great here, there's no contest for us because the place is full of girls and gay guys' and I was like 'yeah, about that...')

15. Thewitt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have male friends. I consider my some of my roomates friends because we had to get to know each other and we all like each others company and they know i am gay which is awesome. Also I have guy friends that I hang out with at school. We all have the same major so all our interests are the same which is a plus. I have no idea if they know im gay or not. I never got around to telling them explicitly that i am gay.

16. MapleCross

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most of my friends are guys, but that is because I like guys better than girls and have more in common with them.

17. AKTodd

I currently have a couple of male friends who are spouses of female friends. We'll occasionally grab food or a movie together or something. I've also had straight male friends and roommates that I was out to and hung out with a good bit. It's never been an issue.

At other times I've had male friends who were single and straight and we hung out a good bit. We liked movies and food and talked about that. If they wanted to watch sports or do something else I wasn't interested in, I went and did something else, either alone or with other friends. No big deal. We never really discussed sex or the like, not because any of us cared, but it just didn't come up.

I'm totally confident that they were never concerned that I would be into them or try to hit on them or the like.

Todd