1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many men here have male friends

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BloodyRose3000, Apr 16, 2013.

1. BloodyRose3000

I don't know if it's just me, but I seem to be incapable of making male friends. Not that I have a lot of friends in general, but all the ones I have are women. I don't really even know how to talk to men in a normative friendly-buddy way. Gay or straight (although I don't really know any gay men in person) it doesn't matter. I don't know how I'm supposed to ever be in a relationship or even just have a group of friends when I can't talk to men to begin with :x!

2. photoguy93

I'm definitely in the same boat. I was talking with one of my best friends tonight. She said "you just need to get out and get more friends!" But see, it's different for girls. Girls can talk with anyone.

Guys...well, it's different if you are even the slightest bit obvious. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong, but I swear guys just aren't interested in me. They probably think I just want in their pants or shit like that.

There will be guys out there you can be friends with. It's just very difficult. On top of that, guys are very different. If you're friends with girls, it's a culture shock. Guys don't talk - it's typically one word responses, maybe a sentence. With girls, it's a whole paragraph. It's a different mindset.

3. Ticklish Fish

oh geez, i feel like a girl now because i tend to do more elaborate responses than few words lol. if i'm lazy, it's probably few words haha

anyways, you watch any sports? you root for any teams? you play any games? you listen to any music genre? those could be starters to start a convo

4. BloodyRose3000

Yes, exactly. Women can walk up to anyone, man or women, and it won't be weird. If a man walks up to anyone, their initial thought process is going to be "what does he want o_0". LOL. I don't know, I find it hard to believe that people don't talk. But maybe this is just because I've been around just women for too long LOL. It's very annoying tho. I had a male friend when I was in elementary school and another one in high school (I don't really talk to them anymore and they don't live in the same state) and I miss having that kind of friendship.

5. Ticklish Fish

we could start on another point that friends change throughout life...

6. BloodyRose3000

No no no lol. When it comes to music I'm quite the music junkie, tho. However, it's hard to find people who know a thing or 2 about music history/have "interesting" taste in music LOL ("interesting" is obviously very subjective, so I'm going to define it as anything outside the modern mainstream top 40's music). I once walked into a sports bar with my sister (who's so attractive that I actually had men buying me drinks just so they could flirt w/ her and look good) and she had a 40 min convo w/ a random guy about the Yankees LOL. Maybe I should have spent more time when I was young getting into things most people like LOL.

7. Hefiel

I wouldn't say "Friend" because of my perception and implication of the word, but I do (did) have some male acquaintances I met in school and we'd get together in every classes and for dinner breaks. We still continue talking to each others from time to time online now that school is over, but we're not seeing each others in real-life since we all moved in different directions.

I did hang out with a group of girls back in High School though, mostly gothic-ish but not all of them. Think there was only 1 other guy in there who (also) turned out to be gay. I've lost contact with all of them though.

8. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    the majority of my mates are straight males.. just find some dudes who are into the same sort of things you are.. ie sports, movies, fishing... do you have any hobbies? join a group or a club... or the gym...

9. qboy

Nearly all of my mates are males - and those that aren't just happen to be the girlfriends of my mates!

Then again I've never really liked "girley" things so have never had anything to bond with the girls on that score (aside from the whole liking guys thing, but not being out rules that one out :grin: ) - although that being said none of my mates like typically male obsessions like football (soccer for you Americans) and rugby either, and don't obsess over Page 3 either. IT geeks FTW. (Actually, the people I know seem back to front on this score - during the Football World Cup we set up the big screen at work so people can watch it - only the women in the office ever do - not one of us lads care about it :s )

At college there wasn't a single girl studying on my course - and even in the building we were in (IT and Arts) it was easily 5/6 male) then when I started uni my course of over 200 students had just 2 girls, and in my halls (mainly IT and Arts students again) it was about 3/4 male so there really was no way of not getting on with lads! - so much for this cities reputation of there being 3 girls to each guy - ha!

#9 qboy, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  10. BloodyRose3000

I've been going to the gym 5 times a week LOL. How on earth are you supposed to meet friends there!
    "Hello seemingly kind sir with the incredible biceps and delightful face... lets be best buds! You can work me out first!"

11. The username

I'm like the exact opposite.

I have one good friend that is a girl? Yeah, let's go with that. I have more, but I don't talk to them often and rarely hang out..

12. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah I have way more guy friends than girl friends. It's mostly because I relate with them better, it's actually really funny, you can get guys to talk about stuff, it just has to be the right stuff. You just have to find a common interest and go from there, you just have to make sure that you're not acting like you're wanting to get into their pants. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. openlygay17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    iam going be faithfull so ill only have a few so I wont get tempted not that would be a he whore wanna be like beyonce feel so crazy in love with my Hispanic boyfriend I feel like iam floating iam so in love this guy that wanna kiss him and tell how much means to me and don't care if get judged iam gay:thumbsup:

14. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    All bar 2 of my friends are male. I just don't find I have that much in common with girls, other than a liking for the D.

15. catatonie

The majority of my friends are straight males.
    I don't know how it happens. I can't remember where I met them all specifically. Drinking probably.

My best friend I actually met through his girlfriend, who I knew through my girlfriend. So that's one way. Most girls will have guy friends and straight girls probably eventually have male partners you'll get introduced to. If they're not weird.
    I get along better with attached older people who aren't raging buckets of hormones anyway.
    It's about finding your niche.

16. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I have three guys I would really call friends. One of them knows I'm queer, the other two don't.
    Why? Because they never asked. It's not I act differently to the one than to the other two.
    And either way I know them well enough they don't care either way.

I don't have a lot of close friends anyway because I'm rather picky and strict about who I call my friends.

17. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Most of my friends are female. Basically all the guys I know are just so boring, when we're all about drinking together the girls all want to do goofy spontaneous stuff, whereas the guys just sit around being unsocial fuckers. Maybe it's just those particular guys, but every guy around here seems to be that way. Similar to how they don't like talking about much, and the girls will talk about anything.

The only thing I tend to not connect with girls over are video games. I'm a massive gamer, and out of my gaming friends only about 1 of them is female, they just don't seem to like games much. So, for me, girls over guys for hanging out and drinking, but guys over girls for gaming :slight_smile:

All the best.

18. LuckyScrubs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Like many others here I actually have more male friends than female, even them are the girlfriends of my mates. I feel like it's just natural to be able to talk to men of same interest, even if it's someone new, I just asked typical normal question of interest/job/school etc. and usually pick up from there. I'm having more trouble talking to girls just because I'm always under the assumption that I might not know what to talk about and one false/awkward move, I'm gonna come out as a weirdo.

19. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    the few friends I have are all guys

20. That Kid

I'm acquainted and friendly with a bunch of guys, but my really close friends that I can actually count on are all female. I guess I've always just found it easier to talk to girls.