1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long should I wait?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SelflessSellout, Jun 24, 2019.

1. SelflessSellout

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For info: I'm a 16-year-old nonbinary bisexual. I've never dated anyone before, but I've been bi for 5 years. I've been nb for 2 years excluding 1.5 years of on and off questioning. I've been happy being out as nb to friends and counselors for a little over half a year.

I'm just wondering if I've been identifying as nb/bi long enough to come out to my parents. I want to come out to them next January for timing reasons, I feel very exhausted being misgendered by them and them just having an inaccurate idea of who I am. I'm just not sure if I'm jumping the gun too much with this.

2. TaurusMage

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, there are a lot of things to think about here in order to know if you should wait longer. What are their feelings like regarding the LGBTQ+ community? The trans* community, with non-binary people specifically? How open would you say they are to new ideas? What has their relationship been like with you throughout your life? Are they religious, or a part of any other social group that might cause them to react badly by you being non-binary?

I know that those might not be warm, fuzzy thoughts to think about . . . but they are important nonetheless, and I DO think that you should consider all of them. If your parents have traditionally been very open and accepting, though, I also encourage you to not over-analyze.

That's the bulk of it, as far as I know. Maybe someone else with more experience coming out could comment on their opinions.

I do want to say that despite all that I just said, I don't think you're "jumping the gun." It's perfectly reasonable for you to feel the way that you do, and to want to be known by your parents as who you truly are, not just who they perceive you to be.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It sounds like you have accepted yourself and started coming out. When you say to yourself: 'I'm ready to come out to my parents,' how do you feel? What is your inner-self saying? If you have the feeling that it you might be moving too fast, it's possible you are not ready for your parents to know just yet.

Your instincts are going to be your best guide; when you say to yourself that you are ready and everything feels alright, that's something to listen to then.

Do you have an idea as to how your parents might react, or what they might say?