1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long does an earlobe piercing take to heal?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Methrandir, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Methrandir

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys, I want to get my ear lobes pierced, but I need to know how long it takes to heal because I have rugby and if I wore it there they would be torn out in no time. And could I take it out for about an hour and a half for training or a match and not infect it or cause it to close up?

2. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes, it won't close because you take it out for two hours, unless you are Wolverine.

How long does it take to heal? That depends on many factors, including how good you take care of it. I had a couple of holes done in one earlobe and they were fine in three weeks or so. I never wear any earring, but I can still get one through, even if it takes patience, 'cause the holes are tiny now.

#2 Michael, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  3. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^ the above answer is correct, but there is the risk of contamination, no?

when you get your ears pierced at a professional body-piercing place they might be able to offer you barbell surgical steel or silver earrings. The barbell shape makes it difficult to fall out/pull out, so you could keep them in your ears, and cover them with adhesive tape, if you are worried about pulling out.

4. Methrandir

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My earlobe has been torn a few times without a piercing so I definately wouldnt be allowed to play with one

5. Riz

Riz

When you have newly pierced anything you really shouldn't take it out (or take baths/go swimming) until it's fully healed.
    Earlobes can most of the time be pierced with a piercing gun without having any problem to heal, but make sure the one doing it have a proper license. (even better if you have someone that can also recommend them). Though the best thing is always to do it properly at a piercing studio (but that's more expensive)

I'm gonna suggest the same as someone in this thread and suggest taping it with that kind of tape bandage you use for sport injury. I did that when I had newly pierced ears when I practiced material arts two times a week and it was fine.

You could take it out as well, but it's gonna be painful as h*ll, also risks of getting infected. If you're gonna do this anyway make sure to pick up cleaning soap for piercings at a piercing studio. ...actually do that anyway.

Sorry for the half novel I wanna make sure you're alright!

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe it can take 3-6 weeks for standard lobe piercings to heal, if they're done correctly; meaning with safe materials and *are not* done with piercing guns.

If you go see your local professional piercer, you can talk to them about this and what style of jewelry would be best suitable for you. For you, I'd assume that you'd likely be offered a "stud" of some kind, since I don't think straight barbels run that small. I don't think they would recommend circular barbels in your case because you might get caught on things, so that's not something to really worry about.

Just don't go to Claire's or some place where they pierce people with piercing guns. They aren't safe for a few reasons; (1) it's hard to sterilize them, so that increases your chances of getting an infection and (2) the materials they have you heal in are cheap and not of the best quality--especially if they offer sterling silver, which is strongly recommended you avoid no matter if you're piercing is fresh or fully healed.

If you've fully healed and you do take your jewelry out, you might be okay in terms of worrying if the fistulas will close up--assuming you don't have them out for too long. I'm not sure how much of a good idea this is, but you could get away with leaving your jewelry in and simply covering it up with medical tape.

7. Lipstick Leuger

I would personally not remove them for 8 to 12 weeks. I am double pierced, with a cartilage piercing and also my navel pierced. My son got his ears pierced, the girls have doubles as well in their ears, and my youngest just had her eyebrow done. So we have several types of piercings in the house and ear lobes are by far the easiest and simplest to heal and care for.

For earlobes, Claires, etc. is fine, I do not agree with Daydreamer on that one(I do agree on their quality of jewelry however.) They use an unopened pair of earrings for everyone so cross contamination is really not an issue. Infection happens when you don't keep them clean, any hole or cut will become awash in your own bodies Staph anyhow so......

I would either bring stainless steel posts with me and request that they leave the backs off, and change them when you get home, (the kind with a ball on the front or flat) DO NOT USE GOLD. The metal is too soft and it actually can cause more infection and reactions than it prevents, or use surgical steel. Both are excellent for piercings of any type. If you choose to do it yourself(I did my own holes the first time) just make sure you clean everything well. Of course if you are more comfortable with going to a tattoo/piercing shop you can.

No matter what you choose, wash the area with antibacterial soap 3x a day, don't use alcohol. Claires will give you a cleaning solution which does work well, and a professional peircer will give you instructions which are fine as well. It's really not a big thing, 3 months old get them done, so no worries. Just make sure you rinse your shampoo from your ears, and give them a second or third rinse, when you wash your hair. Shampoo can irritate your ear piercings.

I think if you don't use hoops and only posts you will be fine with the ear tearing department. Also, you can put a band aid over the jewelry during practice to prevent them from getting ripped out. Good luck!