1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How has your music taste changed over time?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lawrence, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    child - rock, country, folk
    teenager - rock, metal, rap, hip hop, folk, trance, house, techno, classical and classical remixs
    Adult, everything but country.... Techno swing and nightcore is kind up the list

2. Zakku

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Child: Country - Gospel - (later) Dubstep and Trap
    Teen: Instrumental music - Light Emo Bands (Fallout Boy, Twenty One Pilots etc....) - Electro-Swing - (currently) Chillwave and LofiHipHop

#22 Zakku, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  3. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Music choice has always stayed the same since I was a child.

I loved all types of music. But I absolutely love R&B-Hip Hop/Jazz/Soul/House/Dance-Pop/Disco the most though.

I never really did care for Heavy Metal really.

Even then, if it has a jazzy or blues tone to it, some metal I like. I also don't like a lot of racist and or homophobic music such as homophobic hip hop or racist metalcore or any of that. no.

#23 Suomi, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  4. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What were your fave music artists or music genres as a child?
    I don't remember much, but I seemed to like what my parents liked, and I remember liking Modern Talking for example :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    What were/are your fave music artists or music genres as a teenager?
    I was much into metal. particularly extreme genres, like black or death metal. there was also industrial in the background, it's been growing in me, but at that time I wasn't eager to admit it in public. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    If you're 20 years old or older (share your age if comfortable doing so), then what are your fave music artists or music genres nowadays?
    I'm almost 28 years old and several years ago industrial has taken over me. nowadays everything that comes from industrial is my #1 music, and I rarely listen to other genres.

5. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As a kid, my favorite bands were The Monkees, Neil Diamond, and The Beach Boys.

As a teen, I liked Mariah Carey, Gloria Estefan, Eric Claption, and does anyone remember the one hit wonder band No Mercy?
    I also discovered Billy Joel, Elton John, and Phil Collins, all of whom are among my favorites. I remember listening to their music as a kid, but didn't know who they were or that they were the ones who recorded those songs.

As and adult, The Beach Boys are still my favorite band, but now I prefer their mid-to-late 60's stuff over their earlier surfing and car songs. I've started getting into alternative bands such as Fitz and the Tantrums, Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness, and Chvrches.

6. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    My fave music artistes as a child during the 1990s were Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Celine Dione, Garth Brooks etc.

My fave music artistes as a teenager during the 2000s were Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, Destiny's Child, NSYNC etc.

At 30 my fave music artistes nowadays are Justin Bieber, the Weekend, Adele etc.

#26 KyleD, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  7. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As A Kid:
    My parents mainly listened to the oldies station which consisted mainly of hits from the 60s and 70s. Songs from these eras bring me back to my childhood and make me feel a deep sense of nostalgia. Frankie Valli And The Four Seasons was probably my favorite.

Teenager:
    Anything from the late 90s-early 2000s that was a top 40 hit. Britney Spears was a huge favorite of mine, and I absolutely fell in love with Madonna who is still my absolute favorite. I may as well have just come right out of the closet when I got caught several times grooving to "Like A Virgin," lol.

Adult:
    As a 31 year old, I have really expanded my music tastes in the last decade. I still love most everything I did as a kid and a teenager. I discovered a deep love for country, classic rock, soft rock, and 90s R&B. Artists I have fallen in love with are MIKA, ABBA, Lady Gaga, Lana Del Rey, Christina Aguilera, Ricky Nelson, The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, Gordon Lightfoot, Scissor Sisters, Mandy Moore, Meat Loaf, and The Eagles. I just listen to and enjoy whatever happens to catch my ear.

8. Odahingum

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 35, and Colombian, but I've never felt too attached to Latin music. However, over the past year I've noticed I'm leaning toward Latin rock:

Even in English rock, I'm also leaning toward Latin-sounding styles (listen for the drums in particular):

9. 21zephyr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As a kid- Old country because that’s what my parents liked.

As a teen- VanHalen was my favorite! Also, I loved the Stones, Led Zeppelin, Queen and Michael Jackson.

At 52- my favorite band is Pearl Jam- Eddie Vedder could sing the phonebook and I would love it. Foo Fighters is another favorite along with Christina Aguilera and Beyoncé. I like some hip hop, too. I still love the amazing stuff from the 80s... the 80s rocked.

10. AndyB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As a kid usual radio pop and whatever was on Top of the Pops that week.

As a teen Rock and Metal and would go to lots of gigs. I also started playing the guitar at this point.

These days I still love AC/DC but otherwise it is Pink Floyd, Simple Minds, Tears For Fears, Sisters of Mercy and some classical and opera.

If something catches my ear I will give it a listen.

11. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kid: rock and pop. Very early on, popular pop rock. Towards the end of childhood, I discovered rock and preferred it.
    Teenager: rock. Favorite bands: Guns N' Roses and Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Adult: big variety. Favorite band: Garbage. I saw them in concert; it was awesome.

12. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a child I enjoyed all genres, my childhood favorites were probably pop and hip hop.

As a teen I still enjoyed all genres minus country. My teen favorites in order were rock (alternative, hard, punk), metal, and rap.

In my early twenties/current twenties I enjoy/ed all genres aside from country, ooh and bluegrass (can't stand). I would say my appreciation for older music (60s, 70s, 80s) grew and has grown a lot more. I don't listen to rock and metal as much as I did in my teens. I've also come to enjoy edm/dubstep. I like some current pop and I often find myself listening to my 90's playlist of mixed genres. There's also certain artists in which I use to love that I just do not like now.

13. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As a kid I listened to Top40 hits, or whatever was playing on the music channel.

I discovered classic and progressive rock and this is how I branched out later:

Initially a lot classic rock, prog, early metal, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Queen, etc.
    Branched out to emo and pop punk, My Chemical Romance, Blink 182, Green Day, etc.
    Revisited early punk and proto punk, Sex Pistols, Siouxsie and The Banshees, Ramones, The Clash, Bad Brains, etc.
    More metal, Iron Maiden, Children of Bodom, Judas Priest, Venom, etc.
    Fell in love with shoegaze and Dreampop, My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Ride, Lilys, Minor Victories, etc.
    Then camee industrial rock of the 90's and later, Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, Marilyn Manson.
    Hardcore/noise rock, Big Black, Bad Brains, Misfits and Husker Du.
    A lot of Death Metal.
    Radiohead. Their entire discography.
    Black Metal and avant garde Black Metal.

I worship Deathspell Omega.

14. Danabutton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Childhood; bee gees the doors and the village people
    Teenage years VanHalen Guns N Roses Pink Floyd
    20s Nirvana The Clash Soundgarden the Red Hot Chili Peppers third eye blind
    30s incubusaudio Slave
    40s (current) eclectic I love old school jazz

15. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Child: Children's music, pop, dance
    Teenager: Theme tunes to shows from the early to mid 2000s, rock, pop, dance, techno, opera and whatever genre final boss music falls in.