1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How has your life improved through transition?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anonym, Oct 16, 2013.

1. anonym

anonym Guest

Hello, I have already posted a thread "How did you discover your gender identity?" but I am starting a new one with a different title. I think I am ftm, pre-transition. I would like to know how has your life changed since changing your gender? What are the positive aspects? I am feeling very depressed and suicidal at the moment and I need some hope:icon_sad:

2. Cantium

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Though I'm m2f I think that my tuppence is just as good. Since coming out and beginning transition. The first thing I felt was an overwhelming sence of wholeness. I felt truly alive for the first time. Oh sure I was nervous at first all worry about passing but with each day it got easyer, friends help. :grin:. Well I've started to see some welcome effects of hormones. (for me that's boobies :grin: yay :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) also has effected my sex drive... But right now that's the last thing on my mind. I went through the suicidal stage but trust me with good friends (some of them a little more than supportive (ehem Kayleigh ehem)) who helped me gain confidence to come out and start the whole transition process, and getting me to go out as my self more regularly greatly improved my life attitude. :slight_smile:
    hope hearing about any positives will help keep your chin up you're a beautiful human being and no matter who you truly are you are worth something to someone :slight_smile:

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I'm pre-transition so I don't know how helpful this'll be to you. But I dunno. I've noticed overall, I feel more like myself. Hate my body but I have a better sense of self and I can embrace who I am, personality flaws and all. Just seems like I'm better able to appreciate life and the value of my identity. I used to be something of a drifter. I was about to give up on my writing, enter culinary, and enter a field that felt like a last resort. Now I actually feel like I have a choice in my future, that I've got options and the means to achieve them.

Sure, I'm depressive and dysphoric but now that I know transition is an option, I'm able to recognize the body I have only has to be temporary, and I'm not stuck conforming to a role I can't play.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As with the good Dr up there, I'm pre anything serious HOWEVER I can tell you how I've felt just being 'dressed'.

In 23 years of being alive I have never, and I mean literally NEVER, caught sight of my reflection and seen a smile, even when I was unreasonably happy. I've always had to physically force a smile, even when I thought I was smiling people told me to cheer up because I still looked sad! I've seen my reflection and pictures from when I've been out and about and I've been beaming. I scared the hell out of my best friends the first time they encountered Holly. They all thought I was on drugs or something.

The hard part is when all that comes off again. I think the hardest part about getting transition advice is that people feel so good about themselves often that they paint this wonderful picture and don't mention that bad bits as much. For me, that's knowing I have to come home to where I have to be a guy again. I hate it so much. It also sucks when someone calls you 'Sir' even though you're dressed as a girl. Or if they KNOW your new name and call you your old one. Transitioning has its amazing side, and its crappy side. Personally, I think it's well worth the crappy side because I feel good and normal and happy as Holly. I can still feel sadness when I'm dressed but it's not my default mode. I don't hate my body (as much) because I know it will change. I don't hate myself because I finally feel comfortable with myself! But that's just my side of things.

5. Hot Pink

Speaking as a trans woman who has been on hormones for over two years, I can say that my life has vastly improved. My attitude got better. My depression mostly went away and I feel a lot more comfortable with my body. Since I was visibly a lot happier and cheerful, it wasn't hard to finally find a job and move out of my parents house. I'm now mostly independent for the first time in my life. It's a huge boost to my self-esteem. My problem is that I never had any confidence before. It was hard to feel good about myself when I hated myself so much. Learning to love myself was probably the hardest part of my transition.