1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you know if you're slow?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Socky, May 25, 2019.

1. Socky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you know if you're slow? Apart from being really really bad at school and having been in special ed?

How do you identify a slow person?

What's the difference between slow mentally disabled and retarded? What about being an 'idiot' or being 'dumb'?

What traits do people with these.....problems....have?

2. Really

Hey @Socky

Are you talking about yourself? Because you don’t seem slow to me. You’re very articulate. I think if you had difficulties catching on in all aspects of life, that would be one thing but everyone has strengths and weaknesses and they are more or less pronounced depending on the person and could very well be misinterpreted by others. You may “seem” slow to some but are, in fact, ahead of the curve because it’s not clear you process information differently than those around you.

I think the problems come in when you let what others say determine how you think about yourself. Who’s a better expert in you than you, eh? :}

Steve65 likes this.
  3. Socky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah.

I was in special ed at Vtx in Redding so I get confused sometimes. And I've been told stuff by family, so I really don't know...I'm pretty sharp but sometimes I can be a complete dumbass ( in regards to the kittens under the house while it was raining, "Mom why are the kittens meowing?" "I don't know." "Are they drowning?")

Yeah I get off sometimes but I realize it afterwards, sometimes its in the back of my head, but other times I don't catch it.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    'Retarded' is an outdated (and derogatory) term. We now understand that there are many different types of intelligence, different learning styles, different ways of processing information.

So the idea that someone is "slow" is sort of a misnomer, as every person has differing sets of strengths and weaknesses. I suck at math, but I'm pretty strong on verbal and written communication. I have a friend who is super sharp with mechanical reasoning, but lacks considerably in understanding and interacting in social situations. And there are dozens of other variations.

So if you were in special education, someone identified that you needed some extra help in learning in certain aspects. Most likely, you were given an evaluation and a diagnosis. That information would make it easier to more clearly explain where your strengths and weaknesses lie.

#4 Chip, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Canterpiece likes this.
  5. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with this completely. Personally, when I was younger I was on the edge of being put into a special ed section at my school. At one point I was given the choice to go into it, but I turned it down. I saw how badly the other students were treated by pupils, so that scared me away. Whilst I usually tried to hide my issues, it got gradually more difficult as I got older.

For instance, there were days where the teacher would leave working out until the end of class, and not let anyone leave until everyone had finished. Without a calculator. I knew that if I worked it out then I'd hold everyone else up and annoy them. So instead, I liked to pull the book switch trick. This worked best when a student had been absent but their book had still been handed out. When a teacher wasn't looking, I'd grab that extra book and put it in the pile of books when asked to collect for the table. Or carried an old work book of mine to hand in as a decoy. Using a calculator was too risky, since someone was more likely to snitch on that.

Most just counted the books and dismissed you. However, there was still the odd chance they'd check the names and the workings out. So it was risky. If it worked, then I got to bring the book home and complete the equations with more time. Then the next lesson they would ask about my book, and I'd say "Oh, I must've forgotten/ handed in the wrong book by mistake, sorry, but I have it here now" or something along those lines. I was careful not to do this too many times, in order to avoid suspicion. Sometimes I'd just put random numbers and deal with the consequences the next lesson. It seemed better than annoying the whole class. Nor did I want the pity of the teacher.

There was one kid in particular who made fun of me for my issues, he was annoying. Always coming up with new ways to "prove what an idiot I was". :rolling_eyes: I sometimes got into conversations where people would say "I thought you were smart, why are you in this class?" or "Hey, you're smart, so you must be good at this subject as well". Then I'd usually awkwardly laugh.

It wasn't always the other pupils though, a few teachers made fun as well. School was a frustrating and embarrassing experience. I've had generalised tests done, but no official diagnosis. So I now have it on paper from an exam officer saying that I clearly have visual processing issues, but apparently that doesn't require any help or referral. The fact I can score "severe concern, monitor carefully" in something and have it dismissed is strange. In fact, I lost my claim to extra time in exams as I got older. Received the same score in visual processing, but since my writing speed improved I was moved back into the "normal" category since they worked it out in a total average score.

So, it takes longer for me to process visual information than the average, but apparently having more time wouldn't benefit me? Alright, sure. :unamused: These days even if I did get an official label, it would only help in giving me closure.

6. Unsure77

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For what it's worth, being bad at school doesn't necessarily mean you're slow. Some people have undiagnosed learning differences they figure out later in life. Some people are incredibly creative and resourceful in ways that don't shine in a traditional academic setting that come out when they find their careers. Then some people just have to figure out what they’re passionate about. I’m middle aged and know several people I graduated with who were seemingly terrible students in school who did just fine once they got out into the world and sort of found their way.

Steve65 likes this.
  7. Socky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Chip
    (sorry about grumpy cat)

Funny you should mention a test. I did take some sort of test, but they had to coax me to hell and back to get me to take it. I didn't want to because I was scared it was an IQ test. I can't really remember it a lot, but it was like really weird. And long. And I guess the best way to put it was that it was a test that was really different.
    And some parts were dumb.

The next time I came to my school, the lady walking with me to take me to school took me to the wrong classroom. So we went to the door next to the wrong one, and she opened it. She was like, "Really?" to the teacher and he nodded and she was like, trying to talk to him about it but when they realized I caught on they got all awkward and stopped. You made me remember that.

But yeah, my thoughts are 'scary', because they are different. So I hide it sometimes in like social situations and to my family. But sometimes I don't, and when I don't, I'm just happy.

I'd die if people found out who I really was.

@Canterpiece

Darn you're slick lol. That doesn't sound like fun! Another funny thing you said about the teachers making fun of you; you reminded me of how much they can be dicks.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Socky, it might be worth getting hold of your school and getting copies of whatever testing was done (they should still have it.) Or, failing that, perhaps your parents know/remember. Having factual information about what your situation and/or diagnosis is would help you to plan the best strategies. Just because you have 'different' thoughts doesn't mean they're bad or that you're bad... that's your shame talking. There are lots of options for adults with developmental disabilities, especially in California, to get you whatever help you might need to best manage whatever problems are arising because of this.

9. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like the others said, there really isn't just a smart/dumb label that applies to everyone. It's almost impossible to accurately measure intelligence since it applies to so many things. Some of the most famous and respected people in the world secretly had pretty severe learning disabilities they hid for their entire lives successfully. For example, all of these people had dyslexia and were unable to read normally, if at all:

Alexander Graham Bell - inventor of the telephone
    Thomas Edison - inventor of electricity
    George Patton - U.S. Army General who commanded all American forces in Europe during World War II
    Bruce/Kaitlin Jenner - Olympic Athlete and now reality show star.
    Jay Leno - celebrity and tonight show host.
    Woodrow Wilson - U.S. President
    Tom Cruise - Celebrity
    Whoopi Goldberg - Celebrity
    Charles Schwab - billionaire stock broker

Clearly they were all still plenty talented in their own areas of life and their learning disability didn't hold them back from success, so it would be wrong to label them as "slow" or "dumb".

10. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a slow thinker, but a quick worker.

I'm not good at quickly thinking up solutions to a problem. I've been in management positions before and hated it because if a problem came up and I was the highest ranking member of staff on duty, I felt like I had to make decisions on the spot and know all of the correct answers to questions. I can't think quickly, if a problem comes up I need time to think about what I'm going to do and what I'm going to say.

But if I'm given a task to perform that doesn't involve too much thinking or talking, then I will get it done quickly and efficiently without any fuss.

11. Fishtail

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Being bad at school don't equal someone is stupid but alot of time because most Schools only teach for 1 learing type,
    even though there are more than that:

A selftest to figure out what learning type you are: