1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you handle "Internet Hate"?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Chiroptera, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone,

Recently, i've been noticing a lot of posts/discussions on social media (and other popular websites) promoting hate speech. There are some that are direct, but many of them also start with things like "Oh, i respect LGBT people, but..." before starting a wave of... well, "problematic" content.

While i am sensible, i consider myself to be reasonably thick skinned. However, dealing with aggressive content all the time isn't easy.

So i was wondering: What are your strategies to deal with this? Do you take some time off social media? Do you ignore/block bigots, but keep looking at the news? How do you resist the urge to comment on a hateful post (that's my main problem, personally, hahaha)?

I thought it would be interesting to share ideas about this. :slight_smile:

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I ignore or block the posts.

I almost never engage in it. I did at one point, but a lot of people are trolls just looking to get a rise out of people. They will not get what they want if I choose to ignore them.

Chiroptera likes this.
  3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    At this point, I've just learned to ignore this content. People are entitled to their opinions, not matter how crazy they are. I also know that I won't be able to change minds of people by arguing with them online. That just proves their point that the LGBT community is hostile towards them.

Chiroptera and Creativemind like this.
  4. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope you have a good day. That is my only response to negative comments.

Chiroptera and BradThePug like this.
  5. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A bigot is someone who is intolerant to those holding different opinions. I often find the LGBT community* to be ''bigoted'' actually, because they will call anything they don't agree with "hate speech" even though it's just a different opinion. Even 'kicking' out its own members simply for being slightly more conservative in their views and refuse to discuss/acknowledge their points even though they're supposed to also be a part of the community. Blaire White (youtuber) comes to mind.

How do I deal with things I don't agree with? I listen to it, and I discuss it if they're willing to. I want to at least understand where they're coming from and they to me, even if we don't find a 'middle' at the end of the conversation.

*Not all members though.

#5 Secrets5, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    Spot likes this.
  6. FluffyLightFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I try my best to stay polite, and sound up, and do my best to listen and debate, up until the threshold of threat, or the spectrum of stupid pointless insults is reached.
    When it is blind ignorance, I leave it be. Idiots be idiots. When it's threats, I ignore it or report. I haven't been threatened online, yet.
    I never purposefully establish walls around me to filter potential hate, which has the elegant effect of affecting my mind whenever I am exposed to too much of it, although, I never have the urge to respond when it is literal trolling. It feeds them. The same thing often happens with people holding extreme opinions, it feeds them.

Chiroptera likes this.
  7. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to agree that it is good to listen to the others point of view, but most people are uncompromisingly negative and intentionally malevolent rather than holding reasonable discussions and it can become rather difficult to learn anything meaningful from their repetitive and vulgar blabbering.

8. FluffyLightFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's true. Most of that I call "trolling", or more often "idiots". I still don't filter them out. They're bothering, annoying, sometimes they even contribute to the breakdowns I have, but I still see them.

9. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you need guidance on how to block out people? I have developed wonderful meditative techniques for replacing things I don't like (such as school "rallies", where we are forced to endure loud music and stupid seniors acting out, even making fun of a teacher, etc). Personally, I chose not to allow things into my mind that I don't appreciate. They may provide context and develop my intellectual capacity further even, but if they don't increase my happiness the are not worth any more to me than an additional memory of a perfectly white wall.

10. FluffyLightFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am not personally looking for a greater peace of mind, quite the contrary. I'd have no use for such techniques as I sometimes intentionally expose myself to these harmful messages.

However I believe it'd help everyone else if you could share these (perhaps in a new thread?).

11. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If other people express interest I can probably write up a description. It may be hard to explain esoteric concepts considering my meager ability to express myself in writing when compared with some other members of EC even but I would be happy to try.

#11 Humbly Me, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2017
  12. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Number one, I have no real social media presence, so it tends not to affect me.

Number two, I respond to hateful assertions with ironclad logic. Friend tried to convince me that 33% of trans people de-transition/choose not to transition (socially and/or medically). Actual statistic is between 0-2% of trans people. Point being, you develop intellectually while they make themselves look stupid.

Number three, the internet is annonymous, so I can just look at my computer screen and say, "Fuck you.", smile, and carry on with my day.

FluffyLightFox likes this.
  13. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Another thing. Think about how much it's going to affect you and wider society. If a person, who has no actual power, is saying "I don't like gay people", then your rights are not going to be taken away on the basis of this - even if that person did get into power, his one opinion probably wouldn't override those who support gay rights. If it's someone with actual power: a threat group (like ISIS), a powerful government, or your parents, then yes, by all means worry since something bad might actually happen.

14. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Chiroptera,

Remember that the posts you see are posts that are shared, reacted to, and commented upon by your friends on those sites. By unfollowing posts by those specific people, you will see less of it. Look for why you are seeing that particular post and you will likely see it's the same few people reacting to those posts. Generally that works well for me. Sometimes, however, ya just gotta scroll on by.......

15. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll state my opinion, but I won't debate my opinion. I just think it's important for reasonable and rational people to offer a counter narrative that challenges the moronic element and wipes the floor with them (often in one well thought out post). I totally understand why we might choose to not bother, but what happens then? What happens if all decent, fair minded people stay quiet and social media and the internet becomes washed up with hate and trolling? I think there is real danger in that and it bothers me far more than taking 5-10 minutes to hit back.

I wouldn't recommend digging in if you are emotionally vulnerable or sensitive though, because it can get nasty.

16. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really care when I read that kind of hate speech, but although it apparently doesn't affect me I still need to talk about it with someone who is more open minded. It just baffles me how people can literally hate you and wish your death when they don't know you and that intrigues me. So I'd say communication is the best "coping mechanism", if you will, for me.

17. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Shut off the toobie and just be fabulous.

Shorthaul likes this.
  18. kenn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm extremely thinned skinned, so insults usally end up in me blowing up and doing things I regret later(especially online), so I try to stay a way from politics/people I dont like/b.s articles/etc.

19. RMember1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find it funny sometimes because it's so poorly executed. I might reply with a sarcastic comment or just state my opinion and leave. I usually ignore it most of the time.

20. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I chose to ignore them now. Arguing with them is just lowering myself to their level.