1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you feel about other religions?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by meistro, Jan 20, 2017.

1. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My entire family is christian but I am atheist. I however haven't told any of them except my mom.

I have been to Church a lot of my life and have studied the teachings of many religions and I do not feel that any of them are the truth. I just can't get myself to even believe any to the slightest extent. I mean I don't believe in the idea of a god or afterlife which already makes me not believe in any religions.

Now.. I don't like it when people use religion as an excuse for their actions, force their beliefs on others or to hate/discriminate others because of their beliefs. However this is what it is commonly used for sadly. As long as you don't do any of what I said then I am fine with your beliefs.

2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was raised Christian but broke off when I realized it wasn't making sense and that such a vast amount of the "holy book" was toxic. Many things I cannot respect. Women are no less than men, the earth orbits the sun, genocide is wrong, evidence is key, slavery and rape are unforgivable rather than "righteous", science is not to be blindly obstructed, etc.. I just didn't line up and believe it with it like the rest of my family. I suppose it is your right to submit to whatever doctrine you were born under or otherwise, but I'd encourage extensive research prior to acceptance. It's not an Apple agreement you know.

I'm now an atheist. My own painful experience gives me a sense of respect for anyone outside of the Abrahamic religions. Pagan religions and the sort I see as harmless, for the doctrine tends to be without blatant toxicity and stark violence, for these people it is something more than an excuse for war and corruption, something more than going along with it because their family and neighborhood thought so. You never see them protecting pedophiles and beheading innocents, obstructing women from schools and fundamental human rights, also stripping away the rights of minorities... I find it makes it much easier to trust a person when they state their mind has diverged from the common ground. It's like they've left the Matrix, it's quite difficult and I applaud it with every ounce of my being. Funny thing is I was taught to hate these people growing up.

Edit, one more thing. Look at the top "rules" of the religions for instance. In Christianity, there's the 10 commandments. Rape isn't up there, just don't say the man's name in a rude voice. Tons of wasted potential. To me, this does not spell perfection by any means.

#42 Kira, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  3. nyahlove

I hate it because it's the reason why my gf's parents hate her and me. I have no problem with people who practice it though.

4. Mental

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I just would like to point out that Judaism is not in the top three. The top three are Christianity, Islam, and Hindu.

The overall ranking is this:
    1. Christianity
    2. Islam
    3. Non-religious
    4. Hindu
    5. Buddhism
    6. Folk
    7. Other
    8. Judaism

#44 Mental, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  5. Jellal

If you're using your religion as an excuse to bomb someone or otherwise generally advocate for human rights abuses I will take issue with it. Otherwise I find religions fascinating things to study and learn about. For some people it has a powerful cultural and community presence that can be valuable to them and their society/country. And I say "good for them," though personally I will always prefer to choose which traditions I adhere to for myself.

6. Winter Storm

I grew up in a very strict Christian religion. I no longer believe any of it now. My change had nothing to do with accepting my orientation. Rather so long as I believed what I had been taught, I was willing to push my bi-ness aside. I felt that we can't always control how we feel but we can control what we do.

My beliefs changed largely because I didn't agree with certain policies. Upon further research I lost faith in much of their teachings. Currently, I would say I'm a Scientific Pantheist. I do not believe in anything supernatural or magical, no gods. I'm trying to be balanced on my view of religion and accepting of others beliefs but it's not always easy.

The change in my beliefs made it easier to accept all of me.

PS. I like your ancient astronaut theory. Not sure I believe it, but it's not anymore out there than imaginary gods.

7. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Buddhist Christian that sounds very interesting, is that yourself feeling both in your heart? Or is that also a community?

I disagree, with that logic it saved a lot of people to in old barbaric times.

I think if religion was not there like Meistro said, it would be something else that people would fight over. This is said alot about religion on the internet though.

I respect other religions, I admire passionate faith, myself I am christian but I feel there is truth in a lot of books like the Quran, the Tora, the bible, and for example philosophers in the past. So I dont know the ultimate truth and try to do what is right. I am not as "strict" or "extreme"

I do find some things a bit quirky about Catholism for example (the confession is an example, I never really understood that completely)

But like I said, respect and admiration for believers if they do not hurt others.

8. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm quite an open person. I like looking into othe religions (I'm a Christian though not actively).

I'd say one of my favourite religions would be buddism. I also think that everyone needs something, some higher power in their life (even if it's only desteny or something ^^)

9. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm athiest because stories in most religions don't make sense to me, but as long as you're a nice person who doesn't hate on other religions/groups of people or impose your religion on others that's all I care about.
    Though I will say that people who believe one thing is best for themselves but act against it is pretty annoying, even if I don't hate what they're doing/believing itself. (ex. a person who has sex before marriage and believes that sex is best done only after marriage...like it's fine either way, and yea you are your own person, but why be a hypocrite about it?)

10. Carlgustav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As far as I am concerned, most religions have been invented to impose a moral code on societal groups. Personally, I don't care what you believe with the following qualifications:
    1)Do not judge me according to the rules of YOUR beliefs.
    2)Do not limit (or try to) limit my rights based on YOUR concepts of morality.
    3)Do not preach at me or try to make me believe as you do.
    While, as I said before, that most religions have been invented for the common good, I also believe that organized religions have caused a majority of wars and strife in the history of mankind.

11. zappa

I'm an atheist, and while I find religion to be nonsense, I try not to hold it against somebody. As long as they're nice people, and don't use their beliefs to hurt and judge others, or force their beliefs, they're good in my book. I know plenty of religious people who are very nice and well-meaning.

12. MaoKingofcats

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I agree and also all it matters is if you're a good person then it doesn't matter what your belief.

13. Suomi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't care what religion people have. Or if people have lack or doubt of religion.

Me myself, I am a gay Christian though.

14. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My thoughts on religion apply to all. I don't judge and fully respect every religion, they all have their unique thoughts and beliefs, and even culture, I respect that. And I mean it's hard for people to evolve out of that, I respect that. I do however think there should be laws and more rules applying to religion, for one I think religion should be a more personal thing. Like ya know, do what you do, love it, fine, just don't try to throw your religion in my face, don't act like your religion is the dominant religion, and please stop using religion to dictate laws and rules for all people. I believe that the separation of church and state should be followed and enforced better. And I also believe in taxation on the church, maybe not all churches, but the amount of money certain mega church systems amass all while un-taxed is insane. Oh and I do not think one religion in general should be taught as a class in any school. If anything regarding religion is taught in schools specifically public schools it should be a class revolving around and teaching about all the religions and how they affect societies.

15. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an atheist but I don't care as long as they're not an asshole and don't try to change people.

16. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I respect other people's general beliefs. I think some specific religious groups views are not right, though. I believe that all religions are, and should be, based on love and respect for each other.

17. jam93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dislike religions in general. I don't like how they teach people to just accept things on faith. The world would be a better place if people valued critical thinking more and blind faith less. That being said, I don't have a problem with people belieaving in god, or gods, or something if they a) don't let thier belief cloud thier judgment b) don't use thier faith to justify prejudice c) don't harm others just because they don't believe in the "true faith" and d) don't expect everyone to live by thier rules.

18. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My faith is a blend of Pagan and Buddhist beliefs and practices. As for other's religions... to each their own, as long as they're not "stepping on my toes". ie: I don't proselytize, and I appreciate it when others do the same for me.

19. Spaceface

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As long as a person respects my views and my sexuality then I will respect their beliefs.

20. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My family consists of atheist, Buddhist, Christian, and Muslim members, all of whom I have no problem with. Over the past year, I have become more accepting of religious people in general partly because I have realized that the banning of religion in China has contributed to a general decline in morality. In other words, religion is partly effective in maintaining the people's morality.

This doesn't hold true in cases of extremism, which is evidence for the claim that religion has historically done harm. "More harm than good" is not justifiable with this evidence alone, as the merits of religion have all been ignored with this one-sided argument.

Going back to what I said about religion as a maintainer of morality, I must comment additionally that I find it more honorable when one does not rely on religion for personal morality.

My greatest problem with religion is the existence of sanctimony, or religious hypocrisy. If Christians are taught not to hate, for instance, why do so many denounce gay people in the name of God? These sanctimonious people are the reason there are so many closeted LGBT folks who risk their safety to be themselves.