1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you feel about Halloween?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's the odd thing about it really, in general society doesn't enjoy talking about death and those kind of themes, but then it gets to Halloween and it's just everywhere. Maybe it's to take the edge off it? Make it something of a talking point? My thoughts can be pretty much summed up by an episode of "The Sarah Jane Adventures", where an alien lands on Earth one episode and is confused at the idea of a ghost/horror ride. "My planet sees great atrocities strike it everyday, I long for a time of peace- yet here in this place you are not at war, nor are you in any notable danger, yet you spend your time artificially creating fear- why would any such creature do this?". I remember something of that ilk being said, but it's been a long time since I saw that episode.

Quite frankly, I think the alien had a point. I've always wondered why we have horror movies. Perhaps simply to create an adrenaline rush? I guess that would make sense, I suppose we have roller-coasters for that as well. Though, I'd much rather get on a roller-coaster than see a full-on horror movie any day. Granted, I have something of an overactive imagination and also have hyper-active senses for the most part, combine that with a fairly strong memory and it equals an individual who finds it hard to move on from fictional events.

When I imagine something, it's like it's really happening to me (even though I know it isn't) so when I witness something gory or otherwise scary, it tends to stick with me for a long time. It really baffles my mind when I see some people who can see or hear about a shocking event and seem to move on from it in the space of several minutes or something. I just...how? Then again, different things affect different people in different ways, but I find it hard to fathom really.

You wouldn't think the word fear and the word holiday would go together. Or at least, I wouldn't. It just seems like an odd combination, when I think of the word holiday I think of relaxation, and having fun. I don't think about being in a terrified state. Personally, I don't find being frightened fun. When I get scared, whatever it is invades my dreams and I end up losing sleep which leads to me making poor decisions in a sleep-deprived state.

The things that scare me, even though they are fictional make my brain wonder "What if that bad thing were to happen, and is it preventable?" at times.

I remember hearing about a book series (and I think it might've been a film as well) that featured a futuristic society that were cannibals, and they were unaware that they were cannibals, because a robot was feeding the dead to the people that were alive. At the time I was quite shook up after hearing about it, and whenever it was dinnertime I found it hard to eat anything because my brain kept replaying images of that scenario in my head even though I ever so desperately didn't want to think about it. I guess it's like the white bears thing (the more you purposefully try not to think of something, the more you think about it).

At the time I was worried that I'd never move on from that, and that food for me would be forever ruined. It didn't matter what I ate, the images replayed in my mind and I tried all sorts to try and keep occupied. For me, horror can make me fall into the trap of creating compulsions. When I first saw the weeping angels (from Doctor who), there was a period of time where I found going to the bathroom at night to be terrifying even though I knew there was no real danger. I kept feeling the need to check over my shoulder and touch my shoulder and an image of a weeping angel would flash through my mind and then I would jump slightly and calm myself down reminding myself it's not real (or if need be, sing a cheerful song quietly).

One time when I was really bad, I kept having to stop and look over my shoulder whilst walking due to thoughts about being murdered. I'd stop and look at nearly each lamp post because for some reason I felt compelled to. It wasn't something that was easy for me to break out of, I realise that might be hard to fathom for some of you, but it became a strong habit of mine and it took a lot of willpower to break such a habit. My life greatly improved after this, and I no longer feel this compulsion.

Yeah, I realise that writing this might make me come across as slightly insane. Some people have suggested I might be OCD, but I digress. I suppose I understand where you are coming from, the majority of holidays are about gushy sentimental stuff, and I suppose things like Halloween and St. Patrick's day offer some variation from this which keeps things interesting.

I don't hate Halloween per say, but I prefer things that are only slightly creepy but are mainly comedic, rather than full on horror because full on horror tends to stick with me (and usually isn't great for me mentally... or physically if it starts to affect my eating and sleeping habits). When I was a kid I never went trick or treating, and I didn't go to any proper Halloween parties with people my age. So...I don't have any memories of Halloween that stand out as being particularly good. These days it's just an average day for me really.

#21 Canterpiece, Oct 25, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  2. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately Samhain (Halloween) has been tainted and twisted by Hollywood. Samhain is an ancient Celtic festival marking the last harvest, the coming of winter and darkness. Bonfires were lit, animals were slaughtered so precious feed stocks wouldn't be used to feed livestock through the harsh winters experienced in ancestral Europe. 3d067df35a6cc6036e5f66f705eeb035.jpg It was a time when the veil between this world and the spirit world thinned so ancestors and family could cross over and visit. The carving of jack o lanterns and wearing scary masks were used to repel dark spirits while letting the good ones walk freely among us. There is nothing evil, scary or dangerous about Samhain... that's all Hollywood. Pagans and Wiccans (Witches) do consider it a religious holiday. :slight_smile: HAPPY SAMHAIN EVERYONE!!!!

3. Aven

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Do you mind my asking if you are a druid? I celebrate Halloween with my children on October 31st because they enjoy treat or treating. But as someone who is involved in the Druidic spirituality (albeit a newbie to the cause) the date of Halloween is incorrect for my hemisphere. Halloween originates from an ancient Celtic tradition that marks the end of summer and the beginning of winter. It's a time of rebirth and reflection.

So for me in Australia Samhain Falls around the end of April / beginning of May because that's when the date aligns with the correct season.

I still take my children trick or treating on october 31, Halloween though, but it's just for a bit of fun and excitement for them. Halloween isn't traditional for Australia and most people opt out of doing it. We have a system in our neighbourhood that uses orange balloons to identify houses that are participating ☺️

4. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My faith is a combination of my father's Buddhist beliefs, and my mother's Pagan/Wiccan ones. It is essentially earth based with Buddhist/Confucianist undertones. Although not Druidic, the beliefs surrounding Halloween that you describe are very similar to how I was raised and my own beliefs.

5. Aven

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know very much about Wicca except that the traditions and mythologies are very similar and share the same ancestral roots ☺️

In Australia, we celebrate beltane in November ☺️

Edit, speaking of Samhain I love this song by Damh the bard:.

#25 Aven, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  6. Aven

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For those who aren't familiar with the history I will try to clarify. In Europe, prior to industrialisation, when the seasons changed and summer slowly turned towards winter, life was hard. It was an agricultural and self sustaining society that relied upon the fruits of the land for survival. Winter often brought death and sorrow, to livestock that were needed for survival, to children, the elderly and family l. It was a hard time, and one that often brought sadness and death.

So it's understandable that winter was often feared, respected and revered. Of all the seasons that we experience none can quite be so harsh and unforgiving as winter can be.

Samhain was a festival that brought people hope, helped alleviate their fears and remind them that life is cyclic. That what dies is reborn anew. That the cycles, and seasons of life would continue ☺️