1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you ease dysphoria when you're in the closet?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TinyWerewolf, Jan 12, 2022.

1. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate to be the broken record here, but it really sounds like you need some therapy. You're having issues that aren't easily solved and I feel like continuing to advise on every issue is just going to leave you with a laundry list of "To-Do's" that's only going to make you feel overwhelmed.

With love, dear, take that step. It's a big one, and a difficult one, and it took me years to get there myself. I don't know how I can make it easier, other than to say, despite how apprehensive I was, I wish I had done it sooner. I know I'd be in such a different and better place than I am right now if I'd really tried.

There may be more than one therapist who can help you, by the way. Some specialize in certain problems; you might need one to help with figuring out your gender identity and another to help manage depression and dysphoria.

I know, sounds exhausting already, right? It's not. It's healing. It's an effort, and there will be some pain, but at the end, you'll be... well, healed.

Sending love to you, my dear!

chicodeoro likes this.
  2. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're absolutely right, I'm already overwhelmed with all kinds of decisions and I really need therapy. My problem is I don't know how to hide going to therapy or how that would work. I used to have a really good one when I was seventeen and before that I had a really good OT for other issues in middle school, I wished I'd known what I do now back then because they would've helped me.

Thank you for replying, I really appreciate it. It helps knowing somebody gets it and cares

DragonChaser likes this.
  3. Really

Hide that you’re going? How about saying you’ve joined a creating writing club? Regular meetings, nothing you can share at this time…
    Just a thought.

DragonChaser likes this.
  4. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If my parents find out I went they'll be angry. They hate therapists since they can't tell me I'm not trans or I'm crazy for being trans. I'm so tired of this cycle but scared to leave. It's causing me to have mental problems than I already did.

5. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My whole life and the things that give me hope are like espionage/living a double life and like the song "Living on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi at this time.

6. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There's no need to hurry. I would encourage you to feel your way through this stage in your life. Given time, answers, a direction and a vision of what you want your future to be like, will emerge.

That said, this sounds like one more reason to take the opportunity to leave.

I know that feeling so well! Being half in-half out of the closet is sometimes exciting, but often just...really tiring.

7. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If your parents are keeping you from the therapy you need, I really hate to say this, but I think you need to get away from them. You're an adult and the control they're exerting over your life is, from your description, utterly cancerous.

I know that will hurt. I know that will cost you a lot of things you might miss. I know you're afraid of that and more. But it seems the only choice that leads to anything resembling a happy future. Otherwise, they continue to hold possession over your life and punish you for who you are.

We'll be here for you if you choose to or not, but I feel you should really consider it. Love and hugs to you, dear

8. Really

Hey. Do you have any siblings? I haven’t gone back through your posts so I don’t know if you’ve said but if you don’t, who do they think is going to care about them in their old age if they are making you so miserable now?? One day, you’re going to decide you’ve had enough and say goodbye to them and they’ll be, excuse my language, f@cked.

If you do have siblings, where are they in all this? :{

Have you seen this video about coming out to your parents? I know it’s not exactly the same as your situation (or maybe it is) but it might give you a idea about how to reframe the situation so that they are on the back foot in this situation and not you. You’ve actually got the upper hand.

9. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry for the long response time, I've been at home so writing this was more difficult.

I have a sister (who is married and has her own family now) and a brother. Both are a lot older than I am in terms of siblings and niether have been supportive. My sister didn't let me see her kids for about a year or more after I came out to her. I finally get to see my nieces and nephew again on a regular basis, the youngest probably won't remember me if I leave now. My brother accepts some LGBTQIA+ identities (including trans people) but not me- says I never showed signs when I was little (which is wrong if I am really trans, there were a few). Besides, I'm the type of man (or whatever I am) who wouldn't just leave my parents if they really needed me. I will watch that video when I get the chance.

It is tiring, I've had to find excuses just to find time to spend with my girlfriend and we've never been able to go on a real date. We've kept it a secret because we have to, but I wish we could both just be together and no one had a problem with that. I want a better life for us than this.

I genuinely think I am trans but I'm just not sure. If I am I definitely repressed it for a while and probably slipped back into old habits/mentality as of late because I've been in a not great place. Repression is a coping mechanism after all. I just don't want to go through the discrimination and have people not talk to me again (especially if it's for nothing), I was bullied a lot in school as a kid and that's basically the dangerous adult version. I know if I leave I'm probably getting outed. It's consequences that are part of it though.

Most of what y'all have heard is the negative aspects that I'm struggling with. There is a good side to them that genuinely loves me, but it's their version of me rather than the real one at times. I've been hiding pieces of myself for years because something told me I needed to keep it to myself (either God or instinct). Now they think I'm a liar and don't trust me since they found me out in college, I only did what I did because I felt as if I had to. I haven't trusted them either, especially not after trapping me here. I've made mistakes and been angry as well, also went through some intense depressive spells during that time. They think they're saving me from myself, in a way they probably did (I was close to trying substances and was doing risky things I shouldn't- I didn't care if I woke up the next morning). Now we're civil and know we all love each other still, but they're still controlling and unaccepting. They still see me as a child and incapable of living on my own or making decisions- not great for my confidence or mental health.

10. DragonChaser

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not qualified to speak on the dynamic you have with your parents. I really want you to remember that when I tell you things, past and present. I'm trying to give you the very best advice I can, and everything I've told you to this point is just that, but I don't want to taint a clean well while trying to keep you away from ones I suspect are poisoned. I'm sure you love your parents and I do believe they have love for you, as well.

However, I would point out that no abuser is constantly abusing. Even the most vicious and violent will sit down with their victims, give them a hug, and tell them they really just care, that's what it's all about, you just keep making mistakes is all, and they're so sorry they flew off the handle, here have an ice cream. It's a pretty typical part of the cycle, honestly.

It only further indicates to me that you're in a situation you need to get away from, especially since you've just told me that you were having negative feelings before and they're actively keeping you from the therapy you so clearly need.

Ask yourself this; if someone you loved, a friend or girlfriend, were in the position you were in, what would you tell them to do? Stay there, ride it out, keep suffering until it gets better, if it ever does? Or would you tell them to go? Would you tell them to get out and not look back?

I know which one I would say, but I know that's a pretty scary one, too. I know that. It's easier to deal with the fear they impose. You know that fear. You can cope with it. That is, until the day that you can't anymore. Until it takes the last grain from the structure holding it all together and it finally collapses. And you do something. Something you can't undo, either to yourself or another.

I can't say that's the road ahead for certain, but it seems to be branching off in that direction to my innocent mind and I'd hate to see you go that way. So many of us do, it's heart-wrenching to even consider. Even one more tally would be one too many, let alone one I've come to care about.

Once again, I'm saying all this as an outsider. So please, take only what you need from what I say and leave the rest. I won't be offended. Just... you know. Find your way out. Watching you suffer isn't something I or anyone else here enjoys. Don't hesitate if you get a chance to escape.

Love ya, hon :smile_cat:

chicodeoro likes this.
  11. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    DragonChaser talks a lot of sense there.

I will only add that you are a grown adult in your 20s. Even if you don't know all the answers yet (how many of us do anyway?) you're old enough to know your own mind and make decisions about your future.

Walk through that door and take this chance. If you don't, I feel certain you will end up regretting it.

Beth x

DragonChaser likes this.
  12. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh I'm well aware they were a large part of what triggered that depressive episode, I was hurting when they chose to not accept me. I wanted to go get drunk or high, just go crazy and ignore the risks and consequences- which would've been Russian Roulette without the gun had I done it. I effing lost it, it was like all of my worst traits came out and took over. Up until being found out they'd been supportive parents, I was in anguish. All I wanted was their acceptance and an attempt to see me as their son. It still hurts sometimes, they'll always be like this. There are times where we've shoved each other, mostly me when I've snapped like you said- I don't want to be like that. I just want to be happy again.

Point taken, I would tell them to leave too. I think I'll see when my brother moves out if I should too, I'm at least waiting until my 21st birthday (in about a month) before I do leave. I should start educating myself on the basics of finances so I won't panic about paying bills and such. This is terrifying.

Rayland and DragonChaser like this.
  13. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not a very brave man, never have been, therin lies my issue. I do believe y'all are right though.

14. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You've already come out to them though - that takes guts.

None of us are born brave. Courage is something one gradually acquires via, well, life; the 'ordeals that fire one's irresolute clay'.

But I believe you can do it.

Sending out love and strength to you.

Beth

15. Y2B

Y2B

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Can I ask how your mother reacted when your brother decided to move out? Have you ever mentioned to her that you could do that too? Can you somehow predict her reaction?

16. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    She was sad and is skeptical of the area, but mostly fine. I'm not sure how she'll take when I do.

17. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was found out, too scared to come out because they wouldn't take it well. Maybe I can get there like you said though.

18. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Positive bit of info: I sang when I was by myself- I hit a low note I never have and sounded like a man today. My singing practice is starting to pay off!!

Rayland and chicodeoro like this.
  19. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Glad your still singing

#99 Jakebusman, Mar 9, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
  20. TinyWerewolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm taking that as a win, because I love to sing but not hitting the lows in a song makes me sad. I was a soprano 1 in college (which means you get the highest notes in the entire peice), luckily I've been blessed with a decent range. Pop and opera are two whole separate worlds in sounds though, the techniques in pop are more stylistic and allow you to sort of develop your own set of tricks where opera is very structured and requires precision. Plus opera is done without microphones (and often in Italian, French, or Latin- each one has it's set of unique rules to be pronounced correctly) so if you don't do it right you'll hurt yourself or you won't be loud enough. Well this is the vocal nerd in me.