1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you cope with Isolation & Loneliness while in Lockdown?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Spartan 117, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you to everyone that's shared their experiences so far! It's been really interesting to hear how you all have been coping and the struggles you've faced during lockdown.

Ugh, talk about great timing! I'm really pleased that you've found our online community helpful though - we're all in this together!

I am an avid tabletop gamer too - not so much role playing, but I enjoy board games. I've been playing tabletop games on some software called "Tabletop Simulator", it has a big modding community and there's a lot of D&D (and similar) stuff on there. It might be worth your group looking into, if you all have computers!

I think it's interesting that for some, there has been a positive side of lock-down. I think it has definitely been an opportunity to enjoy being out in nature - let's face it, it's the only safe place to be these days! On an unrelated note, some people have actually felt less anxious during lockdown because it's given them the ability to fixate their anxiety on something specific, and share it with others - the result being that they don't feel so alone.

Ugh, you and me both. I had to go to the hardware store the other day and nobody was staying 2 metres away from each other. I kept thinking "if I end up dying just because I went to buy some tiles". They were all wearing masks though, something I hear isn't guaranteed everywhere!

I'm really sorry to hear that you feel that way. Being lonely is horrible - no matter the cause.

It's funny because I've heard a lot of people lamenting the fact they haven't been productive during lockdown. But honestly, it's been stressful and adjusting to the circumstances we find ourselves in takes a lot of mental effort - even if we're not actually busy doing something specific. I think sometimes we have to give ourselves a break and say that getting through it is enough!

I'm really sorry that you've been struggling, but it sounds like you've at least found a hobby that is helping. The good news is that there are an awful lot of books to keep you occupied! Reading is a great form of escapism in times like these. It's also nice to hear that you & your mom have got to have more personal time and conversations together. Even if it does involve being bullied for grandchildren! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My group does play online, I am not sure what software they use. I am "allergic" to computers so I have been left out of a lot of stuff this past year. Starting next Sunday one group is coming over my home to play. If I can interest a few more friends I can go back to running a Star Trek game at my house also but finding players for that has been difficult.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely! Being outdoors in nature, going for walks, hikes has certainly been on the rise. I have noticed there are quite a few people walking on the trails. Adding to the positives for myself, the lockdown/social distancing requirements, has allowed me also not to feel as if I 'need to explain myself,' to others for why I'd prefer to spend an evening (or a few evenings in a row) or indeed a weekend just by myself rather than meet or do something.

4. Old Dog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am married to a wife who worships the TV, and if ever I speak,, NOT NOW IM WATCHING THIS....
    My lawyer says,,,,,,wait it out,,,,,,
    My HVAC guy constantly brags about how much he gets laid.Gay of course.
    Of all the gay people in this neighborhood, either lesbian or in a relationship.
    I can go on ,,,,,,,

5. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm finding the lack of support structures in real life very frustrating. There don't seem to be any trans groups in London that are meeting up in the real world. I despise Zoom (to me even the word is now synonymous with the pain and trauma of 2020) and feel really uncomfortable communicating with people I don't know via a computer screen. Friends have been brilliant but what I'd give to meet fellow trans people and chat face to face...

Beth

6. Timburr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Isolation due to the pandemic is what pushed me to join here. I'm lucky that I haven't been spending quarantine alone, I have my boyfriend with me, but I'm deeply introverted and don't really have friends outside of my relationship. I've been out for a while but I'm not well connected with the LGBT community. I've always shied away from it due to feeling like an impostor and not relating well to other people within the community. Joining here is definitely my attempt at connecting again and I want to break away from some of the loneliness I've felt when it comes to belonging or having people of similar backgrounds to chat with. I've had a lot of time during all of this to introspect and sometimes I think I've done too much but I have been wanting to be more open about myself and my story as difficult as it can be.

There are some benefits about all of this though, like being able to work from home has been a very welcomed change. I've also been able to engage in more of my hobbies that before I felt I never had enough time to do them, I've also had more free time to start exercising and going for walks which helps with loneliness, same with online gaming. With all of those there's still a lot of anonymity behind them and my desire to be less anonymous somewhere resulted in me being here.

7. LetsGoNow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have always been alone. So it is VERY easy for me.

I was so ostracised from a very young age. So I lived in some sort of fantasy due to excessive amount of daydreaming. I told myself I will always be happy as MUCH as possible, (doesn't always work, but meh).

I just watch anime, play computer games, read books, have a laugh watching funny youTube videos.

Does it get sad? Yes but rarely.

8. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mindfulness and exercise.