1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I tell if a guy is pretending to be a woman

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Shasta, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm on a dating app how do I tell if a guy is pretending to be a woman

What are some signs

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uhhhh I am not sure why a guy would pretend to be a woman on a dating app. Doesn't sound like it would be very effective.

3. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people

Some guys get off on it

4. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Just do the basic safety routine: Hunt every pic you get through google search, if it spots a famous person, the person is lying to you. For a simple prank you usually don't photoshop a completely new person.

5. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    An Adams Apple would be a good indication.

6. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Chip lots of men pretend to be women looking to meet up other women because women tend to be more trusting and the more trusting ones could potentially send nudes/graphic content if they feel they have built up a real connection with the person on the other side of their laptop/phone.

So like anthracite suggests check the pictures, too "hot" and "suggestive" means more chance to be a guy, same with the content of the messages if someone send you overly sexual messages from the very beginning, send you nudes or ask you for nudes or detailed tells about your fantasies and sex life with women there is a fair chance that it's a man or that it's a very desperate girl looking to hook up. In both case I would avoid.

If you like the person, ask to meet up quickly (in a public space) , fake people cannot and will not meet up with you so they will flake, same for video chatting. Any real person won't have any problem doing this though be aware that it is possible to traffic video chats (a lack of audio sound is a good indicator of a potential fake person).

Good luck and don't get too paranoid, just follow simple internet safety rules. :slight_smile:

7. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree, when I was on a site, there were TONS of men who were blatant men (I doubt a trans woman would show off her manhood in pictures), and they put lesbian woman for their details so they could show up on our list of potential. And those are just the ones who do put a picture of an obvious douchebag dude with a playa pose. Ever heard of conversion rape or dudes who go 'once she meets me, she won't be a lesbian anymore, I'm the one who will make her like dudes.' Tons of a$$ hat player dudes out there. And again, I'm not talking about trans, I mean blatant douchebag.

But in terms of the less obvious ones who try harder by using a fake photo, etc, I agree with the above. Google their images to see if any matches.

Although I have a question about the meeting up right away thing, what if the person is just shy or scared of sex traffickers and wants to be comfortable before meeting? Yes, I can see how that would show a fake person or catfish, but it would take me a bit of time, especially since I had some trouble with a stalker for a while- which made me ALOT more careful about the internet. As well as all the horror stories of internet dating, I had to chat with someone for a while before I felt ready to meet them. How can you tell if someone really is just shy or nervous about the dangers, or if they're a catfish/real bad guy? Flaking is one thing, if they agree then always have an excuse I think would be one sign, because I never did that. Are there other signs besides that?

8. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @DirectionNorth by "quickly" I meant in the first few weeks of talking. Some people (like me) are comfortable about meeting after just a few days of talking, other need more time but I always suggest to meet up relatively quickly. Not least to not be wasting months of your life talking to someone who may not be who they say you are or that you may not like in real life but also because you don't actually know someone and the chemistry between you two before you meet them and the more time you spend chatting on the internet the less there is often to say in real life.

Like I said the most blatant clues are the pictures and overly suggestive messages very early on. If someone sounded genuine and needed a bit more time to meet me that would be fine, but you also don't want to fall for the image you make of someone in your head and then be disappointed when you meet them which is more likely to happen if you spend too much time speaking to someone on internet instead of meeting and finding out about them in real life early on.

Just my two cents! :slight_smile:

9. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some of the early indicators I've noticed in social media is guys are much more shallow than girls and tend to get right to the point of what they want or what they fantasize about you.
    Females are better conversationalists, more analytical, and much less likely to ask you questions like, "So, what are you wearing?" and "Tell me, what do you like to do in bed?"
    Especially not in the first three minutes of a conversation with you.

Shorthaul likes this.
  10. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    If this is the case how do I confront them. I talking to a girl who refuses to send face pics. Basically wants face pics in exchange of sexual so I'm assuming this person has know intentions of showing their true identity. Also I have told this person about love interest who is presumably straight and this person may have told them

11. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yikes. Thanks for the info on this... it's not something I've ever run into before, but I can imagine there are a lot of just downright assholes out there. I stand corrected.

Shasta likes this.
  12. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my humble opinion end the quest
    Do it now
    If they are not willing to be up front and honest but keep pressuring you for sexual innuendo they are hiding something and if they are going to be that secretive about sex gender and sexuality what other secrets are they keeping to themselves?

13. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You don't need to confront them.

I would just stop all communications and contact. Block them if they cause you distress or discomfort. Strangers being creeps don't need a proper reply. If you want to say something, just say, "Sorry, this isn't working for me. Goodbye."

14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with cinnamon bunny.