1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Talk To My Sister?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MaybeBenji, Jun 10, 2019.

1. MaybeBenji

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm starting T soon. I need to come out to my sister before she notices changes.
    She's very accepting of LGBT people. She's the one who got my mom to understand trans people. My mom said some harsh things about Caitlyn Jenner when Caitlyn first came out and my sister gave her a book about a transguy to read.
    I think my sister might already know. She's hinted at it in the past. She also used to defend me when my mom made fun of my short hair before I came out to my mom.
    I just need to get it over with I guess.
    Any tips?
    Coming out to my mom was hard. I hate talking about being trans. Idk why but it makes me uncomfortable.

Can I just text my sister? What do I say?

Thanks,
    Ben

2. Alb

Alb

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

3. Alb

Alb

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Ben, I'm sorry, I can't offer advice on your situation as I have no experience. But here if you need to sound off!

4. Hrafn

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My advice may not be that helpful, but I did just go through this with my siblings a few months ago. Coming out isn't easy no matter who you are coming out to. Which is why you should come out in whatever way feels most comfortable to you. I personally wanted to say it directly to my siblings, so I called my brother and sister to tell them. Now I keep them updated through a group text, since that's easier than calling them all the time. I have since come out to a couple friends via FB messenger as well. I think text is appropriate if you are comfortable with it or feel you need to really pick your words better than you'd be able to in a face-to-face conversation.

I kept it pretty straightforward talking with my siblings. The conversations started something like: "There's something I've been really wanting to tell you but it's very hard for me to talk about. I was really anxious about having this conversation, but I'm calling to tell you I'm trans." To which both responded with something like: "Okay. I support you no matter what." It was ultimately pretty uneventful. Though I did know from the start that they'd be fine with it. It was hard to get the words out but an immediate relief to have it out in the open. My brother did tell me later he thought I was gonna tell him someone had died, I sounded so grim, haha! It sounds like you know your sister should be pretty accepting, which I see as encouraging that she will be supportive of your identity and you beginning your transition. That's great to have a good idea of how your sister will react! Don't stress it too much and do whatever you need to be comfortable when you tell her.

Good luck, Ben!

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, how you do it is really up to you. Before you think I'm just giving a non answer, it's not true. The thing with coming out is it's personal, it's your thing to say so there is no right or wrong way. What's right or wrong for one person is different to another. You can be really short and sweet and to the point or you can write something longer. I don't see any reason why you can't do it by text if that's what feels best to you.