1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get my mom to be more accepting?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Kevin k, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Kevin k

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I didn't want to be that guy who poats way to much threads in the support area, but I remembered being upset that my mom doesn't like me or my boyfriend, nor approve if the relationship. A little back story here (this got wayy longer than I wanted it to, btw, sorry), I was going to meet my boyfriend at this spot we found to watch the sunset, and when he came over, I invited him inside so he didn't have to wait in the cold when I got dressed. My mom was watching tv on the couch, so I was rushing out the door to avoid conversation with her. Once I got back, about 2 hours later, she got on my back how I was doing something she didn't think was right, and I didn't even say goodbye before I left the house. My mom doesn't admitt to being homophobic, she just acts really strange, especially around the topic in specific. The next day, she sends me a bunch of stuff about aids and the danger of gay sex. Even though nothing eben happened between me and him (that time). Even when he comes over to pick me up, or hang out, or go to dinner, she doesn't talk to him, even when he adresses her formally and is very polite. She doesn't say anything directly to me or him, but I know she doesn't approve. Another thing she tends to do is try to hook me up with girls she thinks are "nice" one day when she picked me up from mcdonald's (before I got my lisence) she saw me ask the female checker how her day was. In the car, she said she saw me flirting with her! My boyfriend was literally in the car when she said that. Ugh, sorry for the long post, i just get angry when people don't even try to understand.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry you're experiencing that from your mother. It's got to feel really uncomfortable to just be who you are and feel unsupported and judged by your mother.

At the same time... remember that you've been thinking about and aware at some level that you were gay for quite a while, and (presumably) only fairly recently told your mother. So it is likely something that is going to take some time for her to come to terms with. When anyone is processing a loss (in this case, loss of perception that you're straight), there are stages of accepting that loss.. denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance. It can take anywhere from 5 minutes to a year or more, to get through them, and the stages aren't necessarily sequential; people can go back and forth.

It sounds like your mom is in denial, hence the trying to set you up with various girls. And the silent treatment with your BF is probably a reflection of the anger phase. So... the best advice I can give you is to basically sit tight and be patient. Not the easiest to do. But in nearly all of these cases, parents eventually come around, it just takes some time.

Devil Dave and Silveroot like this.
  3. Lgbtqpride

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Human get in denial for a lot of things, they just want to live in their dreamland and do not want to live in reality. Her son is gay, she should just accept it and get over it.
    Let your mother join this forum so she can understand more about sexual orientation.

#3 Lgbtqpride, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  4. mlansing

Do all parents make it to acceptance, though? I’m wondering because I’ve seen my dad go through these different stages, but he always seems to fall just shy of acceptance and he’ll even now years after I came out make some off comment that shows me he disapproves of it. I’m not saying this to make the OP feel hopeless with his mother coming around, but I’m honestly wondering if eventual acceptance is going to always be the outcome.

5. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it always the outcome? Unfortunately not. There are horrid stories of parents who cut their kids out of their lives immediately and never get over it. Fortunately, those situations seem to be pretty uncommon, and in the past few years have become increasingly rare. What it boils down to in these cases is usually parents choosing between a religion they may have deep faith and belief in, that teaches judgment and bigotry, and their children. And in most cases, they choose their children. I don't have a lot of compassion for the parents that choose religious bigotry over their children.

mlansing likes this.
  6. mlansing

As a follow-up to my previous post, are there things we can actively do on our end to make a parent more accepting rather than leaving it up to them to eventually accept it? Or is that something the parent simply has to come to on their own or not at all?

7. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meh, I don't think there's a single answer. In general, having the uncomfortable conversations with parents is the best way to move things forward, especially in cases like this where there's basically passive-aggressive behavior by the parent, but no actual discussion or communication. Leaving things like that makes it a lot harder to move things forward.

Of course, for any teen, having a conversation with parents that remotely addresses sex is probably mortifying, and it's impossible to talk about having a same-sex relationship without the idea of sex coming up, but if one can push past that discomfort, that's usually the best way to address it. I wouldn't expect change to come at the moment of the conversation, but having the conversation, making it clear that it isn't a 'phase' basically forces the parent out of denial and requires that they start to think about and process it.

One last piece to the OP: You might give some deep thought to where you are in your level of attraction to men vs. women. There are quite a few people who initially adopt the 'bisexual' label as part of their coming out process, which serves as a bridge during the 'bargaining' phase of self-acceptance and processing loss of being straight (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance). If you genuinely, in your heart, feel attraction and arousal to women, then absolutely stick with the 'bisexual' label. But if you are basically putting off acknowledging that you really don't have much attraction to women, and are avoiding 'closing the door' to that idea (which isn't easy)... you might think about simply accepting that you're gay, and identifying yourself to your mom that way. Otherwise, when a child tells a parent they're bisexual, the parent can desperately cling to the (often false) hope that their child will end up with an opposite-sex partner, and that tends to prolong the time it takes for the parent to accept.

8. Kevin k

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Atm, I like only men, u have a bf, so I guess that confirms it, so I have no attraction to females, but not all men attract me, so idk. I'll just stick with pan for now

9. Kevin k

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    *I have a bf

10. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Between their love for their children, the fact that the children are going "against" society's norms and that their "expectations" aren't going to met, parents go through a lot of turmoil and emotions when children come out to them.

I've seen my parents go through a lot when they got to know about my orientation. True, they knew about it years ago, when I first came out to them, but chose to ignore it. But I think it go real for them, when they realized I was online dating and met guys in public. That changed things.

A friend of mine suggested that my parents were going through the standard 7 stages of Grief. My parents went through Shock & Denial, Pain & Guilt, Anger & Bargaining (The first 3 stages) pretty quickly, all 3 within the span of 2 hours. They were stuck at Stage 4 - Depression, Reflection & Loneliness for over a week. They didn't speak to me, I didn't speak to them. We literally avoided each other, which is hard in a household of only 3 people.

Unfortunately I don't think my parents and I got to the final 3 stages concerning my choices and orientation yet. I'm still hoping we do get there. I am being patient about it though. And that's what I want to say, sometimes the gap between stages can really, really wide. It'll take a long time, and that's ok. Patience is the key.

11. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know of any heterosexual man who is attracted to all women, nor any heterosexual woman who is attracted to all men. Likewise, I don't know any gay man attracted to all men. Basically, if you're saying you have no attraction to women, it's pretty hard to argue you're pan or bi.

That said, I have no investment one way or another in what your sexual orientation is, or how you label yourself. I'm basically just pointing out the inconsistencies in what you're saying, because that sort of self-talk is typically part of the bargaining phase of the stages of loss (denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance). Take as long as you want or need to work through this... there's no rush. :slight_smile: