1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I find people who are like me?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mihael, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a problem making friends. I'm a university student, but people from the uni don't talk and don't hang out with others at all. It's a Computer Science degree. There are no events at the university, the student council functions poorly. The single events that take place involve an awful amount of alcohol. I tried to make friends outside the university. When I go somewhere, people are of all ages and hardly anyone is my age. Additionally, I barely meet anyone with whom I can hold an interesting conversation. Not about beer, vodka, cigarettes, tatoos, piercings, stupid videos, money, looks or their insecurities. An actual conversation that... isn't primitive or even crude. Some of the people that I meet outside university make even the impression of having multiple cognitive deficits, despite not really having a health condition. I won't consider them "friends" nor do I have to enjoy their company. I meet them in places that have to do with interests, and my interests aren't stupid - art, languages, sports. I try to go to events but you know how it is, they collide with other things that are going on and you isn't really a motivator for people to stick together afterwards. So... how the do I find people to make friends with if university failed in this aspect?

2. Loves books

I don’t know how things work since covid but my university had societies. I joined a few, like the Harry Potter society, LGBT society the movie society and also the disability society. My cousin was very involved in the cancer society. I’m not sure why. My sister met most of her friends in the media society. Does your university have any clubs or societies you could join.

3. Isbjorn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Volunteer. Is there a local LGBTQIA+ community center? We have one locally here. That seems like a good place to find like minded people, that aren't as focused on partying and do more than rub two braincells together to watch the pretty lights.

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your replies!

Unfortunately, my university didn't have societies even before covid. Which is a huge bummer! Some societies start, but nobody comes or too few people, people don't talk, meeting gets cancelled. I don't comprehend it. I mean, I used to make friends through societies at other unis. Societies are great.

I'll try that.