1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I do what I love?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mr Medusa, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Mr Medusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For a few months now I've known that drag kings are a thing and wanted to do drag as a consequence. I recently had an opportunity to perform live for the first time but sadly I signed up too late and that didn't end up happening.

This got me thinking about how I can actually practice and do my drag? There are opportunities to perform things at my school but I feel like that's not enough (I'm 17 and in Asia so bars aren't really an option yet). I want to have routines, perfect my character and get better makeup skills but I'm not really sure how to practice. Outside of performing, I guess I could learn how to do makeup and make clothes, but I've never done anything like that before and I don't know where to even begin. I don't think filming myself and putting it online will help much because I have no clue how to film anything and I won't get that much feedback.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to improve my craft? How can I practice performing given my limited opportunities and how do I teach myself the stuff I need to know? I need to spread my wings and fly!

2. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You could adapt a persona and do youtube videos or maybe see what kind of competitons/festivals you can participate in or even a cosplay event and see if you can enter those kind of competitions.
    As for designing your own costumes there is a pattern for everything. I know there is a company called McCall's and they have catalogues in craft stores, (it may just be an American thing, not sure) you could try to book yourself as a career temporary as doing some kind of entertainment for parties...I don't really know. Sorry :/

3. Mr Medusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll look into all that stuff.
    As always, thanks for being such a great help Wes. <3

Wesley007 likes this.
  4. Wesley007

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You are welcome, you know I will do my best to help in any way I can.

Mr Medusa likes this.