1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I convince someone religious to accept me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Sparky2002, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Sparky2002

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello everyone! I hope you all are safe and healthy. Okay, so I'm in middle school and about a month ago I decided to come out to my babysitter who I have known for my entire life. I would always come to her with my problems and she would always help me. I did know she was religious so I told my friends and parents first (who were all fine with it) and I planned not to tell her but it always just felt like living a lie when I was around her. Finally I told her and first she was in denial. She said that I wasn't and that I should have this conversation once I really knew what I talking about, like when I was 18 or 21. We argued for like an hour and I kept telling her that I'm lesbian and it's not bad or something that I can change. I respect the fact that she is very religious but since then she is a lot less close to me and after googling it and seeing that she might come around to accepting me I asked her about it a few weeks later. She got angry and since then I feel anxious around her and I just want her to accept me. I respect that she is religious but is there any way I can get to change her beliefs on this?

Bisurprise likes this.
  2. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's nothing you can do. She might come around in time, or she might not - nothing you do or say could push her in any direction. Sometimes people do come around when they see that you're still the same person, and that they value their relationship with you. And sometimes they choose their religion over you. There's nothing you can do to influence that choice.
    I'm sorry you're in this situation. It feels awful. I'm sure you miss having her in your life and you want the relationship to be as it was. But right now, you need to give it time and see if anything changes - it could take a long time - or just let it go, move on, and fill your life with people who do love you and accept you as you are. Take care.

rktonks likes this.