1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I convince my mom to let me and my bf spend our anniversary together?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Kevin k, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Kevin k

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    So here's the deal. My boyfriend and I's 2 year anniversary is this saturday. However, every year for easter, with the exception of 2 years ago due to scheduling conflicts, me and my family go to chicago to visit family. Me not going is out of the question, but what if my boyfriend could come with? My mom seems to be getting more accepting, and he's come with us on a trip to Iowa before, so it's not the most out there as far as ideas go. I haven't asked my mom yet, fear of her saying no, so I figured I'll post it here first and get your guys opinions. I think as long as we drive there, it'll work, the car will just be a little more cramped without the 6th seat open. What do you guys think?

2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Responding as a parent — I’d say I wanted more lead time to figure this out. I’d be stressed to think through the planning with just days to go.

Responding as an EC member, I’m worried what it will be like for you and your boyfriend trapped in the car with your mom 5.5 hours each way. Didn’t she invade your privacy recently? Not a scenario that sounds like a celebration of an anniversary. Better to postpone your time together and not have to worry about so much time with Mom?

3. Kevin k

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I feared you'd say that. But part of me wants to bring him along anyway regardless, as sort of a statement to my mom. You know, like saying that "this is me and you'll have to deal with it". Whatever. I'll probably ask her tomorrow and see what she says anyway.

4. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This could just be the traditional me talking, but won't it be two occasions being smushed together? Easter and your anniversary? And between all your relatives, your family and in a different place, would you be even having the space to spend time with your boyfriend? That's my main concern. Again, that's just me talking. If you feel you can manage both occasions and spending time with so many people, that's your call. :slight_smile:

5. Broccoli

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My parents would have said no, regardless of how they felt about the partner, because they'd consider it rude to impose an additional unknown guest on the family they were visiting at short notice.

6. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn’t tell you not to ask. Being able to stand up for yourself and your relationship is good. I hope she would respect that part of it, though it sounds from your previous posts she may not.

It might help you if you also think from a parent perspective. Will you be able to get the types of forms signed from his parents that they’d need to do for a field trip: permission, insurance and medical info, authorization for your mom to get him needed medical care if something bad happens, etc.? Will he have his own spending money if you stop along the way for lunch?

I may be too late responding if you are asking today, but maybe if you think through how to make it work from the responsible adult’s perspective it would help her see how you are looking at the big picture and practicalities.

@Broccoli has a point. Some parents have other reasons for turning down such a proposal. In my case we allowed our children to invite a friend along for the family trip/visit, even a person they were dating, so long as all parents and extended family were o.k. But I know plenty of other parents who are fine with their kids’ dating relationships, but don’t want the date at the extended family event (sometimes as much to care for their feelings of being the newcomer or outsider, or the strain on elder grandparents who are hosting, etc.).

Let us know how it goes.

7. Emmareld

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I say if it is something you really want, go for it and ask your mother. The worst she can say is no. And even if she does you can always voice your side of it. Plus you said you've done it before so I don't see the problem. Your boyfriend is in a relationship with you so in turn they can be involved in family activities depending on the situation of course. I hope it turns out all right regardless.

8. Kevin k

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    UPDATE: my mom says we are renting a minivan, so space will not be an issue. I asked her if he could come along last night, and she said she didn't know. However, she just texted me minutes ago that "maybe I can", so it looks like it's gonna work, thanks guys! I'll keep you posted.

Chip, Shallow waters and Emmareld like this.
  9. Railwayj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good luck Kevin. Please do let us know if it works out and how it went. :slight_smile:. You are much better than me though. I tried to avoid family functions like the plague much less try and bring someone to the inevitable chaos and boring social affairs with me . LOL

10. Kevin k

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    So we're on the way now. This van is the most unfomfortable thing I've ever riden in. My bf is next to me and my mom is doing the silent treatment. Otherwise it seems fine. The next struggle is going to be figuring out if we can sleep in the same bed together. Hopefully all goes well, assuming I don't die from discomfort in this van.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is enormous progress on your mom's part in (what I'd consider) a relatively short time. The silent treatment is her passive-aggressive way of trying to exert control, but hey, if you recognize it for what it is and don't buy into it, her behavior will eventually have to change.

I'm really glad things are working out for you!

12. Kevin k

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Thanks. Last night was the hardest part, we had to get to our hotel and I felt like everybody there was staring at me. There is a nightclub attached to the hotel and everyone was just staring at us. I did see a gay couple this morning holding hands while walking down the street, and it gave me courage. I made it through most of the day so far without too many comments from the family, one or two from my grandpa, which were just teasing, even though he said that going to the military would "get me all set straight" , whatever that means. However, last night me and my bf had to sleep on the floor, because my brother took the bed my parents weren't sleeping in, and I didn't want to start a conflict by arguing why the bed should be used by the 2 people who want to sleep together rather than the one person who doesn't care. Oh well, it's fine I guess. We leave to go back home tomorrow at noon, buy I still have to survive big family easter dinner tonight.

13. Kevin k

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    And we're home! Thankfully, dinner wasn't so bad, there were some comments and a small debate about my cousin thinking that homosexuality is a mental illness, which my uncle, who's gay, quickly shut down. On the ride home I fell asleep on my boyfriend's shoulder, which was embarrassing enough, but then my mom woke me up to ask if I wanted a pillow, in her retaliation tone, to which I responded I don't need one, and kissed my boyfriend's cheek. I'm proud of that. So the trip was good, but defiantly more stressful than if my bf didn't come along, but I'm glad he did. <3

Chiroptera, Chip and DecentOne like this.
  14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad to hear it worked out, and, as difficult as it was, it further reinforces the message to your mom that this isn't something you've made up, but is real. So I think in terms of her beginning to come around, it seems like a positive. That said, I would expect to see continued storming and controlling behaviors from her, as she isn't used to being out of control. But I think as you meet her where she is, and do your best to be respectful and not feed into her anger, it will continue to improve.

15. Railwayj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Glad to hear things worked out on your trip. :slight_smile:

16. Railwayj

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So how are things going Kevin. Things any easier with your mom these days?

17. Kevin k

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    So - so. She doesn't bother me about it as much, but he hasn't stayed at our house for a while, so I don't really know.