1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out successfully?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by skroala, May 21, 2018.

1. skroala

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Last time I've came out to my parents was 2 years back and they've brushed it off saying the, oh so loved, sentence 'it's just a phase'. I've beed completely devastated since I've had to put up with it and I still have to.

I'm beginning to feel frustrated so that's why I'm planning to come out again on my 18th birthday which is in 5 months. I don't have any documents to assure them that I'm not just going through a phase. That being said, I need to think of a perfect plan to come out to them. I don't need their acceptance, because I'll be moving out as soon as possible. I just need them to know that it's not a 'choice' or that it won't go after another couple of years.

So... do I bring a friend? Let them watch a certain YT video? Let them read some books about it? I have no idea.... Please, help me with it.. I really need to open their eyes.

2. kkou

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @skroala ! I'm sorry that your parents aren't taking it seriously. I can't imagine how frustrating that is for you.
    I don't know your parents, but for some people, it helps to see facts and figures. If you know other trans people (male or female), introducing that person to your parents might help them understand you better. (If possible, someone older than you- they may be more likely to take it seriously.) Sometimes it helps to have a friend by your side too, if you're nervous.
    I haven't seen many movies or documentaries, but if you know any that you relate to or that you think explain your situation accurately, showing them those videos might help as well.
    This is a tough situation! Many people have never experienced gender dysphoria, so it's hard for them to imagine being any different than they are. To them, what you're feeling might seem impossible- but that's no reason for them to brush off your identity. All this shows is how important it is for them to learn more and to do their best to understand.
    I haven't been in this kind of situation before, so I may not be much help, but I wanted to share my support. Good luck, skroala! We'll always be here to support you.
    :yellow_heart::yellow_heart:

3. skroala

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    @kkou thank you so much for your advice! I'm really hoping that I'll figure everything out before my b-day so your advice is saving my life literally

4. kkou

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Happy early birthday, by the way!!
    Glad I could help!

#4 kkou, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  5. Biguyjosh

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not sure documents will help them. If they think it's just a phase then the only thing that will help is for them to see it's not a phase.

skroala and kkou like this.
  6. kkou

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    True! You're right, that's the most important thing.
    Hearing stories/experiences might help them become more open-minded and more ready to understand, though, too.

Biguyjosh likes this.