1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out successfully?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by skroala, May 21, 2018.

1. skroala

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Last time I've came out to my parents was 2 years back and they've brushed it off saying the, oh so loved, sentence 'it's just a phase'. I've beed completely devastated since I've had to put up with it and I still have to.

I'm beginning to feel frustrated so that's why I'm planning to come out again on my 18th birthday which is in 5 months. I don't have any documents to assure them that I'm not just going through a phase. That being said, I need to think of a perfect plan to come out to them. I don't need their acceptance, because I'll be moving out as soon as possible. I just need them to know that it's not a 'choice' or that it won't go after another couple of years.

So... do I bring a friend? Let them watch a certain YT video? Let them read some books about it? I have no idea.... Please, help me with it.. I really need to open their eyes.

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    skroala.....I'm not going to tell you how to come out to your parents...you know them best so you'll know the best way to approach them. What I am going to share with you is how to prepare to come out to them.

Set down and write a letter to them...you may end up never sending it. It's not really for them, it's for you. Take your time with the letter. Use it as a tool to organize your thoughts in a sensible way. You can use the letter to be sure that you don't leave out something that is important. Like-wise you can also be sure not to include things that really are not necessary. Re-read the letter and edit it to be sure that you put important things in the right order. Think through HOW you are going to say things so that you sound like an adult who has carefully thought about all of this....because you are and you did! That letter can become your "script" for when you come out to your parents. Knowing what you are going to say to them instead of just trying to "wing-it" will give you confidence, will impress your parents and will show them that this is not a "phase" you're going through. If you choose to, you could give them the letter, mail it to them or leave it for them to find. One of the big advantages to coming out by letter is that you can arrange not to be there when they get it. That can eliminate any sudden, emotional outbursts from your parents or from you if you feel you're being attacked. It would give your parents a little time to think about it before actually talking to you. Anyway, whether you give them the letter or not, writing the letter will help you. And I hope this has also helped you! Keep us updated here on EC...we do care and want to help.
    .....David :gay_pride_flag: