1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did your family take it when you came out to them?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RobSmith, May 4, 2018.

1. fadedstar

fadedstar Guest

The first time was at 16 when my parents bullied it out of me (it was in the evening and they were both inebriated.) I knew right then and there that I would never have that fairytale acceptance from them. The same night after that happened I walked up stairs, locked myself in the bathroom and curled up into a ball on the floor in the dark and just lay there for a really long time. I didn't discuss it with them for another 6 years. When I finally came out (as bi) at 22/23 on my own terms they said it wasn't an issue but I think they're still secretly hoping that I won't end up with a guy.

#21 fadedstar, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2018
  2. Halley

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to my dad twice. Once as bi and once as gay.
    He basically said that nobody really cares and that “somebody has to be.”
    So my family is pretty ok about the whole thing.

3. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I came out to my mom. (I already posted this in another thread but I said I'd update here too so here goes.) My mom already knew. I had given her some hints before. She was confused and still is by what bisexuality is but she said she accepts me.

4. BlueMonday

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They were cool with it, I could see it in their eyes that they thought to themselves "No shit!" lmao.

5. Seeejay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Both my parents cried. My stepfather took it the hardest and couldn't talk to me for a few days because of a traumatic experience when i was little, but eventually they both came around and we're closer than ever. He said "How can i hate you? You may as well be my son"

Little brother felt betrayed for a while because he thought i was straight for a long time but eventually understood what was going on with me. It took a while though.

Both my older sister and brother literally didn't care. both of them said "So?" and i felt like an idiot for not saying anything sooner.

My little sister was shocked but quickly realised that i was still the same person. as an 8 year old, she said that she loves me no less and to stop crying about it. It was a really touching moment.

6. Nightlight

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "I understand why you think you're gay but you're wrong. You're too inexperienced and naiive to know. Just be straight."

They don't understand bisexuality.

7. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow! Clearly they don't. I'm sorry. That must have been so frustrating.

8. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love it when people tell bi people to be straight. We can't be straight! We can only date opposite sex partners by choice, but that doesn't change our sexuality. I could only date men from here on out, but I'm still bi. I'm not going to stop having feelings for women or wanting to have sex with them. In fact, I think there is a lot of pressure for bi people to date the opposite sex just because it's easier for people around us, even when maybe the person actually might lean more gay. I'm not going to just date men because it's easier for other people to accept. If I date a guy it will be because I like him.