1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you Know you were Trans

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by toonwizard, Mar 8, 2021.

1. toonwizard

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So for a while now I felt a little off I always been really annoyed whenever would say something is a boy thing and I would frequently imagine myself as a girl. I haven't really come out to anybody though and I was wondering does that make me trans or am I just curious how did you guys know

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being annoyed at so many things being forced for only one gender does not necessarily mean that someone must transition. It could simply mean that you think it silly that an inanimate object is given a gender, a very reasonable position.

The part of frequently imagining yourself as presenting to others as something different than your birth assignment is more telling. If you really feel that you would be more content living life presenting differently then I think that you should explore that more. There is a thread here in the gender identity and expression sub forum where you can experiment with names and pronouns to see how it would feel. You could also try different clothing and/or makeup in private at first. Eventually if you are going to transition it would mean coming out at least to the people you hope to keep in your life.

For me, I knew from an early age that I was really a girl. The difficulty was finding out that it really was possible for me to do that and then to go through the process.

3. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    How long have you been imagining yourself as a girl, Toonwizard? Is it something that has popped up in the last few weeks or have you felt this way for years? If it's something that has been a recurring thought for some time it may indicate some sort of gender incongruence.

Myself, I first had transgender thoughts from the age of 6 when I'd invent stories in which I'd be a girl. Back then I knew I could never tell anyone about these thoughts - they were way too weird and odd to be spoken out loud. I tried to make them go away. Thus began over forty years of burying and denial...

Beth

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gender identity is a spectrum, just like sexual orientation and many other things, really.

5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cant edit so I'll add in a new post: those can be indicators and for sure it makes you at least non-binary. But with transition the question is : will you commit to being a girl fully? You are a girl if you identify with that, but are you a guy at all?

6. toonwizard

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    For me, I knew from an early age that I was really a girl. The difficulty was finding out that it really was possible for me to do that and then to go through the process.[/QUOTE]

While I have always been less sure about it I knew that I was different I only recently explored the idea that I could be a transgender girl and want to know if there is anyway I can sort of confirm it.

7. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Only you can determine if you need to transition. For me personally it was a life or death thing, it is not possible for me to live pretending that I am a man. I tried very very hard and it not only nearly killed me it messed up the lives of everyone close to me. I recommend that anyone who feels that their life would be more comfortable if they transition that they think long and hard about it. If it is possible to live comfortably within their birth assignment then they should, living as a transitioned person is difficult, you fight society on a daily basis. People even get killed for doing it. If you find after really exploring yourself that you cannot survive without transitioning then go ahead and do it.

8. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't think there's a medical 'test' you can take to confirm trans-ness, as such. I'm guessing that you're fairly young, Toonwizard? Is it possible to get in contact with local LGTB groups in your area or phone LGTB helplines? I know in the initial weeks after I had my gender revelation last year it was enormously beneficial to talk to other transwomen. Also it is possible to seek out therapy? Talking about this with a professional who has worked with trans people before will be really useful I feel.

I notice in your profile you've said you're out to a 'few people'. How did they receive your news and how did you feel when you saw their reaction? That's a pretty good indicator, I reckon. For me, my rubicon moment was when a friend hugged me and used my name for the first time. The feelings of elation and freedom I felt coursing through my body at that moment confirmed everything I needed to know.

Hope this helps.

Beth