1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I stop my mom from freaking out?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Percy15, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Percy15

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been feeling like shit for the past week and I've been wanting to self-harm which I haven't done in four months. I told my guidance counsellor and now she says that she has to tell my mom. When this stuff happens, my mom always gets really hover-y and makes it worse. She's going to constantly be asking about it, and I feel like she can't see me for anything beyond my depression. Is there anything I can say to her to make her back off a little? I know that she does this because she loves me, and I'm lucky to have a parent who cares, but her hovering and constant questions make me feel worse.

2. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    This is a really tough situation to be in and I can empathize with you from past experiences.

The best bet in my eyes is to sit down with her, hopefully before the counselor reports it and tell her how you've been feeling. Explain to her that her micro-management doesn't do anything but hurt you and ask for her support with your battle of mental illness. The two of you love each other and having a serious conversation about what options to choose is likely the best scenario for both of you.

Confoozed likes this.
  3. Confoozed

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Gosh I sooo get the moms kinda make depression worse even though their intentions are good:/.

What about making her realise the SERIOUSNESS of how her actions make you worse I'm sure she loves you enough to back off on the hoveryness:/.

Sorry I'm not of much more help but please don't harm yourself, think of all the positives left in your life. I preferred to focus on one very strong reason to stay alive that would never change, so even though I'm not exactly "undepressed" I don't think I'll ever give up on life. Hang in there...