1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I convince my friend and I to do this?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RainbowsFactory, Oct 24, 2016.

1. RainbowsFactory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello! :slight_smile: So my friend is 17 and I am 16. We both go to the same school; she is lesbian and I am gay. We were talking this morning about creating an LGBT+ club at school for other lgbt+ students to join and at first, my friend was very excited about the idea but then, she thought that people would make fun of the group and rejected the idea. :frowning2:

I don't want to force her to help me create that group but I would really like to create it with her, since our school never had any lgbt+ clubs. Plus, our school is generally not too homophobic.

2. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    its a fun idea but it could end wrongly. make sure to have a teacher cober you

3. mangotree

Yeah, maybe just take things one step at a time with her.
    I'm sure there's more to setting up a school club than either of you think. (e.g. I'm sure you would have to have a adult/teacher/supervisor/sponsor)
    Perhaps the process of creating it might ease her concerns / raise her excitement about the prospect.
    If all else fails, there's nothing to say that if she helps to set it up, that she has to participate in the club in the end.

4. Falklands Sheep

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I'm not exactly in favour of the idea. Granted, it all depends on the school's social context, but for the most part, starting a LGBT+ club is going to attract undesirable attention.

Think of it this way. You'll be erecting a beacon on yourselves, and that works both ways. I recommend you first do a rational analysis and balance the pros and cons. If you think that beacon will help people out more than it'll hurt, do please go ahead. Clubs like these are amazing when they do work.

However, do bear in mind you won't be getting all that many LGBT+ members. I may be wrong in my assumption here, but chances are only those who are comfortably out of the proverbial closet will be signing up.

And, of course, you'll also want school backing, just in case there's trouble. Do make sure to check the school staff that'll be assisting you are all in favour of the idea, and also check their superiors are for it, too. Ask the principal, or whoever's in charge, first.

So, my best advice, figure out the pros and cons, and come up with a convincing argument. Make sure you have all loose ends tied up, and then go back to your friend with your new/modified proposal.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is why whomever came up with the idea of a club called "gay straight alliance" was brilliant. You don't have to be gay to join, you can just be an ally.

In effect, this means a lot of closeted people can join without fear of being outed.

If you go that route, the likelihood of ridicule is significantly lowered. The national GSA can every helpful in getting things set up. You might reach out to them. As far as I know, it's totally free.