1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can a woman dress in a masculine way?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mihael, May 31, 2018.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ... so that she reads as non-straight.
    I seriously have no clue!
    Women wearing trousers, jeans , hoodies, tshirts, suits, all that is a norm. How to stand out as not heteronormative?

2. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the only advice I have is to wear men's clothes. Something that's typical of a man's clothing. Nowadays, even some of the men's jeans are more feminine. But maybe find one with lots of pockets, something that's a little baggy and screams "male". Layering is also an option in cooler months. A sleeveless shirt with a flannel shirt unbuttoned. Some T-shirt prints are also more masculine. Think John Deere-themed shirts, or sportswear (You favourite sports team supporter's shirt, for example).

But choose the men's option, as the ladies shirts tend to fit more snug, are shorter and sometimes even shaped for the "average" female physique (more snug at the waist, wider at the hips). Men's shirts are typically just straight, and a little longer. You could also accessorize with men's jewelry, like a typical men's watch, masculine rings, and a dog tag with whatever design you like. Maybe something rainbow-y? Footwear also play a huge role in how people are perceived. Choose overly masculine footwear, combat boots for example.

Hairstyles also say a lot about someone (most of the time). Choose a more masculine cut (If that's your thing)...

Those are just some guidelines off the top of my head. Someone else might have better advice

3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But what does scream "male" these days? I see guys wearing skinny jeans all the time. Even the flannel is being taken over by mainstream women's fashion. I've worn that but nobody cares. And combat and hiking boots too (in general I just love them - nothing like comfy shoes that also look super cool!)

So the cut, right? Jewelry and other accessories? Haircut?

4. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    God, thank you for asking this! I have been wanting tips in this regard for so long. I really want to dress more masculinely.

5. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good ideas. I would add ties to this list as well. Even if you don't generally wear "formal" wear, a tie loosely knotted around your neck looks masculine, fashionable, and super hot. :slight_smile: Hats are also good. Fedoras, baseball caps, all can look masculine. I agree about the cut of the clothes too. Something that doesn't give you the typical feminine shape. Minimal makeup, or none at all. If you wear any, stick to subtle stuff or use darker colors, black eyeliner, plain foundation, etc. Nothing too bright or pastel. Haircut is also important. Obviously the shorter the hair the more masculine you'll look, but it's also about the style. Men can also have long or longish hair and still look masculine. If you want to keep it longer, I think something shoulder length or chin length, with some choppy layers would look good. The layers give it a bit of edge and help pull the look together.

6. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Though of course queer girls come in all shapes and sizes and dress in many different styles. Looking masculine is defineitly one way to look possibly queer, but honestly the only think you need to "look" queer is something like a rainbow bracelet. I would notice that right away, even if the girl was dressed super femme, that she probably wasn't straight.

7. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So many guys these days go for the hipster look, which is particularly masculine anyway. Myself, I have more of an outlaw biker look, but I don’t think that’s what you are after either

8. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The hipster look is really hot on a man or a woman. :slight_smile: That's the look I want to adopt for myself. Or something like a skater look.

9. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You wouldn’t like me at all then. I’m kind of the anti hipster

10. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Also as for "male" jewelry I see a lot of guys, (and lesbians), wear those leather cuff bracelets, or those woven wristband type things. Usually two or three stacked together. For some reason if I'm trying to decide if a girl is queer, I look at her hands and if she has short nails AND a leather bracelet, that really tips the scale to me reading her as queer. Something about leather bracelets stacked together just screams lesbian.

11. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the tie idea and the skater look. Hats are cool, but not a good idea inside.

Hmmm yeah, I wear rather minimal makeup and stay away from pastel colours, but it still somehow doesn't have impact. The leather bracelets, yes. A watch too. Maybe I'm too subtle about the masculinity.

(I want to get many ear piercings, which will freak my gay male friend out xD He said he's very not into this on women... or men. Lol)

Sandra Alvaregna (in your signature) has style possible to rock on a daily basis. I really wonder what her secret is. I think it's the guy tshirts and accessories. Btw cool printed tees are hard to get. I think her flannel is a guy flannel too, because its fabric is so heavy. Shane's secret is men's formal wear. I think... and accessories. Because it's so easy to cross this line that you no longer give off the impression, that you look veeeery ordinary, like a girl in jeans and a tshirt, bascially, and nothing more.

Do you mean like the guys you can see on a Harley Davidson?

Anti-hipser? xD

Nails...? I dunno, I don't have long nails, but for a very different reason than fisting. My nails have always been short. I work with my hands and I was an active kid too. The nails simply break if not go into the way before breaking. Or even you can cut yourself with your own nails (I have) and this sucks!

Yeah, you'd judge me as queer then. By the bracelets and nails. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Forgot about those... Quite ironic that I have two leather wristbands (Which I don't wear because they're too snug to my liking). I made them myself when I was in the "psych ward" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Lol. I recently bought a leather bracelet just for this purpose because it was a trend I was spotting. I don't know what it is, but I just feel more queer while wearing it lol.

14. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I do really think that it's also how you wear things. Attitude is so important. You could put two girls in front of me, one dressing slightly more obviously masculine than the other, but one of them having a confident boyish personality and the other not, and I would go for the confident one every time. For me it's the way she acts combined with the clothes that make her stand out.

15. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes
    I’m not a Harley rider but I do have the look. I’m anti hipster in appearance

16. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why is it anti hipser?

I would get a motorcycle, but not a Harley, rather something like Honda. Although you hear that much about motorcycle accients... I really like my spine the way it is.

You're reassuring me very much. Maybe it's just that people who I hang out with are blind to social cues. It very well may be. Too nerdy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Lol. Yeah you're friends are blind. I would have spotted you a mile away. In my little town you would definitely stand out.

#17 Love4Ever, May 31, 2018
    Last edited: May 31, 2018
  18. Biguy45

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I
    ts just the way I dress. My appearance.

19. Love4Ever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, and please don't think you have to get a motorbike. Those things are dangerous! You'll do just fine without one.

20. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, but I just don't know how a biker is the opposite of a hipster.

hipster - biker
    skinny jeans - baggy cargos
    short hair - long hair
    beard - clean shaven
    flannel - ???
    iPhone - ???
    hat - ???
    hiker boots - combat boots (don't knw how that's opposite tho)