1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How am I supposed to come out to my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bootlegFinest, Sep 5, 2017.

1. bootlegFinest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My parents are both pretty devoted christians, so they have a strong opinion on lgbt. I'm not planning on coming out to them in the near future, but I'll have to do it sooner or later. Any ideas?

2. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Paint a mural on their house in the middle of the night.
    Hang a sign from their bedroom window in the night.
    Send them ally Hill's coming out music video.

Ankur and bootlegFinest like this.
  3. bootlegFinest

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    they'll never know what hit them, thanks

4. StarRunner

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have your parents ever voiced their opinions about LGBT people? There's two things to consider: First they are your parents, and my hope is they will always love you for who you are, and secondly, how religion would influence their feelings for you.

Also, there's no rush or deadline to come out. You don't have to open up to anybody until you are ready.

#4 StarRunner, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  5. Witherell

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Don't have any idea about it sorry.

6. Ranabee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey! :slight_smile: I am religious as well (my father is not) and recently I have been visiting a website dedicated to understanding God better and one article said that God appreciated and loved all people,despite their sexuality. I can link you the article if you want to. :slight_smile:

7. StarRunner

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an athiest myself, but I respect people of all religious faiths. My concern for the OP is that the situation depends on his parents ideology and may depend on how rigid or intransigent they may be in their beliefs. I have several friends who are Catholic parents and they are very progressive in their views around around homosexuality and women's rights. They are able to challenge the teachings of the church and glean from the bible what they feel is fair and just in our society.

On the other hand, there are a number of fundamentalists who still refuse to accept the rights of women and gays, citing old, antiquated passeges and applying them with literal interpretations. I've met several people in my life who quoted passages from the bible to justify their own homophobia. For example:

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination. (Leviticus 18:22)."

In my own experience, when people are set in their firm interpretations of religions that deny rights to others, it can be difficult to persuade them to alter their oerspective. In addition, sometimes religious beliefs can be used as a means to justify hatred and discrimination. It would take more than an article to turn them around.

For these reasons, I really think the OP should know first how his parents view homosexuality in relation to their religious beliefs prior to making any decisions about discussing it with them..

8. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If they go to a church you could ask them which, go there, and talk to a pastor about the churches views on homosexuality. Then, hopefully if the church is accepting, arrange to tell them shortly after a positive sermon on the topic.

9. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is an improper translation of Leviticus because there is no context, but I guess people don't care that Leviticus was written as a list of acts that should not be practiced because they were acts of pagan worship, and therefore extremely biased in terms of moral influence.

1st Corinthians is entirely mistranslated from latin, and translated by a scholar it means entirely different things, as does the old testament (they describes pedophiles and rapists in that order in the most commonly used quotations to justify prejudice against homosexual people).

#9 Humbly Me, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. StarRunner

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Which is exactly why the OP needs to get a better handle on his parents' interpretations of the bible before coming out to them. People often interpret religious beliefs to reflect and justify their own personal views.

11. tennisdude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Religion definitely makes this a difficult and complicated conversation, but I wanted to share my personal experience. First, I was shocked at how quick and painless it was to tell my parents that I was gay. Took me 30 seconds tops to spit it out. My dad was cooking dinner in the next room and I just called him in and said it. Lots of tears. But the thing that struck me, my mom grabbed my hand and apologized for saying homophobic things in the past. Without missing a beat. Without thinking about it. I think deep down she always knew, so she also was aware that her comments were hurtful.

My biggest thing in telling them was reminding them of our close bond and how we were such a close family. Those things will never change.

Good luck!

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't say how old you are. If you're not of legal age and there's a significant possibility they will react strongly, you might want to wait until you are no longer reliant on them financially. That may seem like a long ways away... and it could be... but the downside risk of their being ridiculous and either sending you to a straight camp or cutting you off financially (or even throwing you out of the house) is something you want to think about really carefully.

If you're already independent financially and not living with them, then it is really a matter of when it feels right to you, with the understanding that it may take weeks, months, or years for them to come around and be accepting, and a small chance they will never do so.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but I'd suggest you at least give it thought.