1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honest: Have you ever pretended to be the opposite sex online?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lemons123, May 12, 2015.

1. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    No, but I've been mistaken for the opposite sex before and didn't really correct someone :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: People sometimes would hear me on the phone and assume I was a girl and apparently seeing the way I type made them think the same thing -_-

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's cool. :grin:

No, I have never pretended to be a girl. I really don't like the idea that some people have crafted videos of fake co-eds to trick college guys and sometimes even older to take their clothes off after starting an online relationship. Several of these cases hit the news after the irl meeting went south in a hurry. Be careful out there. I am sure someone is trolling gay guys too out there.

3. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Yes.

I don't bother now though. Now I just let people pick whichever they feel like.

4. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have never specifically said that I was a boy, but often when guys online call me "he" or refer to me as a "dude", I just smile and don't correct them. I wish they would treat me the same way in real life.

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    No. But I had multiple characters in World of Warcraft (stop making fun of me! :grin:) and one of my alts was a Tauren male shaman. My friends and guildies knew it was me, but it was interesting to see how people treated me differently from my other toons which were female.

It's always a bit weird to join a Ventrilo channel with strangers or a pug group for the first time, because you don't know what the reaction will be when you speak and "out" yourself as female. Some are normal, well-adjusted people, some become weird, some are downright psychotic. I remember one time joining a pug raid (The Eye from Burning Crusade IIRC) and the raid leader held us up for 10 minutes to tell a story about how he was in the Marines and punched his captain in the face or something, like we were supposed to be impressed or something. Other times you get boys who won't leave you alone, and get all creepy with tells until you ignore them.

But it's not all bad. One of my favorite people ever on WoW was a guildie who could do all these voices and he was hilarious, like our own stand up comedian in the guild. He made raids a lot more fun, especially those endless Kharazan raids.

---------- Post added 12th May 2015 at 08:33 PM ----------

I remember in WoW some hardcore arena types would name their warlocks after their demons/familiars so you couldn't auto target them because you could never be sure if the add-on was targeting the demon or the player. Smart. You could do the same thing by naming your hunter pet after one of your teammates to confuse the targeters. It's never fun to blow a big cool down or think you're about to win and then realize you just nuked a pet. :bang:

8. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No. That would be dishonest.

9. MirandaJK

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I used to pose as a guy in a band and go crash tiny chats. Lol. I ended up choosing the guy who was least likely to join the chats, but because he was so private, it was easy to BS it. It was such a bad idea, but it was pretty great at the time and I don't think he ever found out. (The band broke up a few months later sooooo)

10. Notlad

No. Can't say I personally have.

Though it is disturbing the amount of women in this thread that were harassed for being female and had to pretend to be male. Seriously straight guys?

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not exactly. I've withheld being specific regarding my sex/gender, and have had a few people assume one way or another, but never specifically said "I'm a guy" or "I'm a girl". It just feels more organic.

Supposedly, guys pretending to be girls is a pretty big thing. Some do it for the control/power, others as experiments to figure how guys operate. A smaller number might be gay or trans.

One douche bag on a different forum did tell me and another female member, "Can you two girls shut up and start tribbing, already?" -.-

12. BiPenguin

Yes, to connect to my feminine side by being female but not sex. I'm sure there are plenty of straight men out there having sex with each other as lesbians in their own minds.

Glad I have as it opens your eyes to how women are treated online. Very appalling.

13. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't want to make it sound like every guy in online games is a jerk because that's not true at all. In WoW I was in an awesome guild with mature players, and a lot of them treated me like anyone else, or even like a sister. If any guest said anything inappropriate to one of us, our GMs/officers would set them straight really quick or throw them out of the raid. Also there's a difference between joking around and being creepy. I'm not offended if a guildie who I know and like talks trash or jokingly tells me to make him "a sammich" or whatever. I know they're not serious. But unfortunately there are complete a-holes...I remember running a pug heroic with one guy who responded "tits or GTFO" to everything I said. I just left the group.

TBH I don't agree with Anita Sarkeesian and people like her who think most guys are hostile in gaming. I believe most people are good, and the nice players always outnumber the jerks.

14. Justinian20

No, I never pretended to be the opposite sex ever.

15. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to frequent the chat room of a now defunct forum, and alternate between claiming to be male or female. Why I didn't realize I waste and back then, I'll never know.

16. MetalRice

When I was younger and more naive, I spent years pretending to be a woman on the internet; in hindsight it was fairly stupid and idiotic too.

17. CyanChachki

No, never have. I'm not really upfront about being transgender but if someone where to ask, I would give them that answer. I've been confused for a biological male before (without my make up) and it makes me feel just fine.

18. C P

C P

Seeing as I don't identify as male or female, I guess I do all the time? :surprised

If you mean in regards to my biological gender, then yes still. Often times when I play a game that has multiple saves, I tend to have two files, one a guy and the other a girl.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. I have not. I don't know if it's possible to detect gender from the way one writes. I think that, if the names were removed from a lot of the posts, I might be able to detect gender a good deal of the time. Whether that's of any value, I don't know.

20. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes, well I didn't actually pretend, but my username was ambiguous. It was funny watching guys who assumed they were talking with a girl change their tone, or just quit once they found out they were talking to a guy... night and day. :lol: