1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homosexuality being taught in schools

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nisomer, Jun 17, 2005.

1. nisomer

I was thinking...if schools taught this subject, how much help would it be to our society? How much more understanding would all of us have had we learned about it in school?

Does anyone's school, or does anyone know of any schools that currently teach about homosexuality?

2. confusedkid

confusedkid Guest

Montgomery County, Maryland, baby! We're probably one of the most liberal counties in the country tho... haha. Yeah, they teach about how most scientific evidence is now pointing to the view that homosexuality is not a choice and tries to promote tolerance despite the views of some religions regarding homosexuality, etc. And they generally have resources for kids who think they might be GLBT or if they know somone (or they themselves) are being bullied, harrassed, etc. about being gay.

There was actually a huge fight here which got sent to the Federal court from a "family" group claiming that the curriculum is biased against people of faith... (Oh yes, the ever so victimized "people of faith"... fuckers.) And they successfully got an injunction from it being taught for awhile. We all thought they had a problem with the classroom demonstrations of condom use... but no... the fags were their biggest hangup... But anyway, the county removed the section in the teacher's guide about what religious organizations accept gay and lesbian congregants and now the classes are back off and running again. The thing is, that the entire class and material, etc. is completely opt-out. If parents didn't want their kids exposed to the material, then they can just request to have them do the alternative project... Once again, the religious right can't make their own families miserable... they have to make everybody else's lives miserable too.

-CK

3. Micah

What exactly do you mean by 'teaching about homosexuality'? What specific topics would be covered? etc

I know in some schools homosexuality is covered in sex ed, although hardly in any detail. Also, tolerance of others' differences is taught, and homosexuality is a part of that.

Dave

4. nisomer

I'm talking about teaching students about what it is like to be homosexual, and how to cope with it. And just teaching them that to be gay is not a bad thing, just another aspect that is different in peoples' lives. Just think, how different would this country would be if all students were to get the right education about homosexuals.

5. goratrix

ok, so.. that would be:

shopping 101, checking out guys 101, in the first year
    Shopping with style 201, gaydar advanced functions 201 in the second year right??

(sorry, I HAD to make that sterotype joke!)

anyway... I think it's a great Idea, specially as CK mentions it...

6. confusedkid

confusedkid Guest

Yes, perfect. Advance stereotypes... [Mr. Burns]Excellent...[/Mr. Burns]

And, even though we're not exactly a school system or anything like that, I forgot to mention that the University of Maryland (Go Terps!) has an entire certificate program in LGBT studies... w00t!

-CK

7. nisomer

I actually thought about sending an email to my principle to about adding the subject to our wellness 3 classes. In fact, I wrote it all out on thursday while I was at work lol.

But I also see myself getting too ahead of myself. Seeing as how I am only out to two people who hardly know me. I find myself in a sense of "wanting to help others before I can even help myself."

The thing is, I really want to help change a lot of younger peoples views of gay people. That was one of the main reason I wrote that MLK re-creation essay about homosexuality, was to tell other people what it is like and to teach them. That is also why I wrote that letter for my principle, although I am still currently debating whether or not I should send it.

I don't know. Maybe I should just worry about myself first, before getting into other affairs.