1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic brother fixated on gay people

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by RD Spencer, Sep 8, 2020.

1. RD Spencer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, said brother refers to anyone or group of people that does or believes something he disagrees with as Fa***t’s, then says they must (refers to sexual activities between gay men) in the most insulting way. He eventually does this almost every time I talk to him for any length of time.

Here it some back story to this.

We are both in our late 30s and he has always been this way. He holds back when it comes to our sister who is out as a lesbian and at family gathering. We have an older cousin who everyone thinks is gay but has never said anything. When I am talking to my brother, he will often criticize our cousin for being gay and call him gay slurs then complain that he hasn’t come out of the closet. It really seems like my brother has been fixated on our cousin since we were young kids.

I am not out to any of my family, but my sisters know and my other brother suspects that I am not straight. Also, my whole family thinks my best friend who I hung out with all through my teens and 20s is gay. They have all asked at one time or another if my friend was gay. Even the homophobic brother has asked a lot and seems a bit fixated about my friend as well. Oddly none of them have asked me if I was gay/bi though.

You would think that at this point this particular brother would also be thinking I am not straight.

But given all this he still continues to be insulting towards gay people.

I am thinking there might be something more going on here but would like to hear from anyone who has some insight on this.

2. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Many people that I know would say that anyone that homophobic must be gay and deep in the closet. I think that may be true of some but certainly not all. My advise to people is to cut anyone that hateful out of their lives. I wish that I had cut my family (all of my nuclear family are that bad) out of my life decades ago. My life is certainly more pleasant not being around them or connecting to them in any way. You do not have to come out to them in order to avoid them, simply avoid them and if anyone asks why just say it is personal.

RD Spencer likes this.
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Homophobic brother is a closeted faggot and scared to death:slight_smile:

#3 Chip, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    RD Spencer likes this.
  4. RD Spencer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn’t be surprised if he was at least bi. Kind of always felt like a lot of the family has at least some bi tendencies. The typical big family with a catholic back ground thing going on. All the red flags are there, LOL.

It seems like he has been doing more of this in the last year but it’s getting very tiring. Not sure if the girlfriend of the last year and a half has anything to do with it? He does have a lot short term relationships lasting only 2 to 3 years.

He knows that I am accepting of LGBT people and he knows our sister is gay.

I wonder why he would be so much more afraid than me? He has always been much more ornery and aggressive than me.

We do get along just fine, but I am really getting tired of hearing the derogatory comments. There are some options though.

Directly call him out.

Ramp up the pro gay comments on my part.

Or just stop talking to him.

5. QuietPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I was younger I would have kept trying to talk to him and be as pro as possible.

Looking back, I wish that I had cut my family entirely out of my life when I came out.

It is up to you whether you want to keep trying to teach acceptance to someone or not. How much is the relationship worth to you?

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Statistically, there's some interesting research out there. In this study (don't have the cite handy), they first did a study looking at where men's eyes fixated when showing them images of men and women. They then gave them a detailed survey of questions to determine their feelings about gay people. Overwhelmingly, the men that had strong anti-gay feelings were also the ones whose eyes fixated on the men in the image portion of the study. And other studies have looked at homophobia and then followed the people 5 or 8 years later and found a very high incidence of homophobic guys coming out.

So I think it's pretty likely your brother is a poof, but, perhaps due to the religious background or other subtle messages, simply can't accept it.

As to what to do, the best thing I think is compassion. Perhaps talk to him about how the comments might make your gay relatives feel, and how hurtful it is, especially when it isn't something someone can change. And maybe ask why he feels that way.

Another possibility: Is your cousin older than your brother, even by a couple of years? Is there any possibility there was some sort of sex play when they were younger that your brother was involved in? If he had an unwanted sexual experience, that could very easily be the basis for his hatred, and for his comments about your cousin. I wouldn't directly bring this up with him, but these sort of things are not uncommon among kids as young as 8 or 9 "experimenting" with younger relatives or siblings, and even if it wasn't directly coercive, it could have created real confusion for him.

7. RD Spencer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My mom and her family were raised catholic and they were taking it pretty seriously when I was young. I remember my aunt getting angry when I told her I didn’t believe some of the ideas they were pushing on us. She seemed very invested in us believing in the church then. By the time we hit our mid-teens some of us just refused to go and I ended up denouncing religion altogether. Much of the family doesn’t put a lot into the church today.

As for our cousin, he is quite a bit older and given that the way family would hang out in groups most of the time its very unlikely that anything would have happen between him and my brother. I probably spent more time around my cousin than my brother did anyway.

One thing that might explain some of this, Is around our early or pre-teen years there was at least a few times that my mom would mention to my siblings and I that people think our cousin was gay. Then our older siblings would start gay bashing and my brother would join in. The situation seems weird, she didn’t say anything bad about our cousin but she did nothing to defend him either. Its almost like she was doing it intentionally. To be honest I felt like I was being compered to my cousin at times. Looking back, it does seem like my mom held a lot of anti-gay sediment. She usually didn’t say much out loud for all to hear, but there was a time when she got angry, pulled me aside and told me to stop acting like a faggot. That really didn’t help much for my self-esteem.

My family was very dysfunctional in just about every way so trying to un-wrap it all is confusing.