1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophibia and protecting yourself

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Shasta, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yesterday I had my first encounter with a homophobic. Although it was online on reddit. It bugged me for awhile.

So how do you deal with homophobia and protect yourself. I live in very conservative community where discrimination agains LBGQTS is encouraged.

2. perpetuality

Sometimes it's better to just not come out except for people you trust and who are supportive. Having friends and family to help you out are probably your best protection!

3. Linkmaste

I hope you're okay. Don't let it get to you.

There are a variety of ways people deal with homophobic people.

1. Ignore them
    2. Disprove their arguements and be confrontational to them
    3. Avoid telling them about your sexuality
    4. Just throw glitter on them. Works for me.

All honesty, homophobic people are real and you will come across them. Dependin on who you are you'll deal with them in various ways. However if they are harassing you, assaulting, or threatening you, get police involved.

But I just throw glitter and they get the idea and buzz off. So far no homophobic pepole in my family or friends.

4. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

i think of it like an immune system vs. germs

your immune system encounters a new microbe or pathogen for the first time, and has no defenses... its gets the better of you. you are knocked for a few days .... then you have opportunities to adapt. Next time you encounter that particular challenge, you have developed defenses.....

Like one barb gets thrown , next time another. You can learn to adapt to each one. Then - they dont get to you as much

But there is more. One can prepare yourself - I've told stories about this before, i love to.

This is a great topic. Lets keep talking, and I'd like to talk some more if anyone wants to contact me further.

oh - an definitely hun, anticipate it :wink:

Dont worry - it can be OK, and it gets better :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

5. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    Here is what I think happened. I think this is woman knows I like her, even though I have never said word to her or given any indication I like her. I did view her Fb profile, but didn't add her so that may have tipped her off. I think doing caused me to appear in her people you may now list. She has my email and may have used to see what services I subscribe to which led her to my reddit. On Reddit I asked what does it mean when someone makes you question your sexuality. I got this really nasty homophobic response from someone that may be her. Which leads me to what makes her feel the need to follow me around because the business we did together doesn't require her to do such thing.

6. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

Watch out for crazy people. And sketchy people. And haters. Don' let them close to you, and don't get close to them.

Yes, if you like someone, often they can tell...

Then there are those who will just think you like them, when you don't...

If you want to look at peoples facebook and not have them know - step up your security game.

Either access their page without logging in at all, or create an anonymous (not real name) facebook account for expressly that purpose.

It may or may not have been her. There is plenty of nasty homophobic stuff on the web.

Alot of homophobes are closet cases. They willl do crazy a busive things, acting out on lashing out on their own self hatred. They lash out

...watch your back.

Take care

---------- Post added 19th Oct 2016 at 02:36 PM ----------

And listen - the general rule for safety on the internet, gay or straight, male or female, is anonymity. Period. There is endless abuse on the internet. do NOT be available for it.

if you want to post personal questions on forums - use an email addres NO ONE ELSE has but the forum(s)

Take care! :slight_smile:

7. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I happen to be a very confident person, but my biggest piece of advice is to not let it get to you. Do what I do and shrug it off, even if that seems a bit hard. If the homophobia is too much to handle, then seek some help. This can be at your school, a counselor, a friend you trust, anyone. Just stay safe, and stay awesome my friend!

8. ABeautifulMind

Gallium and Yttrium lol.. thats funny...

As for her going to the reddit and all that, unless there was something in the comment to suggest it was her, that sounds like your anxiety getting the better of you... Odds are that was just a homophobic person, but not necessarily your homophobic person, if that makes sense..

I also advocate the throwing glitter at them:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOgpxP77FPE

This guy is fucking hilarious fyi :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not that this is a super important point, but just for clarity's sake: No one can tell if someone looks at their facebook profile. It doesn't show you who looks at it. The list of "people you may know" is only based upon mutual friends, so if the two of you have at least 1 mutual friend or more, then she may show up on that list. The list does not come from who looks at a profile page.

10. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That's how I refer to, you know, being gay around homophobic family. Instead of saying gay, I say gallium and yttrium. The chemical symbols read as GaY

11. falconfalcon

falconfalcon Guest

@ABeautifulMind

That guys is hilarious. Genius - Thanks for sharing it :wink:

"MAGIC!"

12. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My own method of self preservation involves never leaving the vicinity of my home until I can relocate to a more desirable location... Namely Ontario.

I'm not very notable for my words of opposition, I'll just stick to the sidelines and hope I'm not noticed in such situations. After all, who would go through the trouble of assassination when nobody even knows you exist? But on the other hand, I suppose that makes their job all the more simple if they decide it's worth it.