1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Sexuality vs. Public Sexuality

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by jjusa, May 28, 2022.

1. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The title sounds weird, I know, so I'll try to explain.

I've noticed that when I'm home (I live alone), I slowly become more comfortable of my same sex attraction and indulge in my fantasies. I love seeing women connecting with one another on TV or in other forms of fiction. I enjoy looking at some celebrity women I find super attractive. However, as soon as I leave the house, my sexual orientation completely changes. Either asexual or "undefined", but not gay or bi in the slightest.

Going out in public as a "gay" person means I need to start acting "gay." What does this mean for me? It means changing my personality to fit what I feel a lesbian should act. Or dress. Or changing my interests to fit in with the interests of the LGBT community (e.g., going to pride, gay clubs, etc.) Or finding a woman on the street and having that love connection that I think I want, or at least that's what I think about when I'm at home, but then it turns out these women I see in the real-world kind of suck, or I just don't connect with them very well. I also feel l am undeserving on this girl's attention and am not pretty enough for them to even talk to me. More confusion and anxiety occur because if I thought I was attracted to girls, shouldn't connecting with them be easy?

I'm not saying necessarily that I'm attracted to men, and I know I've said this repeatedly on this forum, however, this time I am finding a discrepancy between how I feel when I'm alone vs. how I feel when I'm with people.

I was just as the grocery store earlier, and almost every woman I came across made me feel EXTREMELY ANXIOUS, and I would shut down and avoid talking or running into them. I talk to men instead because I feel safer doing so. I feel as a woman, I am the only one who is intimidated by other women. Women are often guarded when I approach them. And I'm starting to believe that I might not really be attracted to them because of this... I'm sorry that I'm sounding repetitive all the time. However, this is driving me nuts! Help?

#1 jjusa, May 28, 2022
    Last edited: May 28, 2022
  2. zgaynz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say this is fairly common for those of us with one or more feet in the closet. When we're home alone, we're free to be who we are but out in public, we're more guarded, protecting our true sexuality and thus it can make connecting with people more difficult. For some, it can take many years to truly accept who they are and longer to embrace it. When out in public, I act straight but that's all it is, an act, I still know I'm gay. I also went through stages of doubt and denial over the years but not anymore. Connecting was easier when in denial of my sexuality because now I feel I have to be more careful what I say or I could slip up, however I feel it's worth the risk because friendships and relationships take time to develop. There's connecting with people, showing them what we want to see and then there's truly connecting with them, showing our vulnerability.

We're all at various stages of our journey and it's down to you to work out which direction you want to go in, like it is for perhaps some of the women you meet. I'm sure you'll meet the right person at some stage but you'll need to work out who that is for yourself. For me, the alone person was who I am, the public person is a fabrication of who society wants me to be. Take some time, reflect and work it out. I wrote a journal over this period, where I self reflected and looked at my life up until that point. It really helped me, it may help you too. Good luck with your journey.

BiGemini87 and PrettyBoyBlue like this.
  3. PrettyBoyBlue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi @jjusa, I can identify a lot with this. I would think a lot of us can, actually.
    I love being alone, at home. I become very relaxed and a little flamboyant. But it shuts off when there's people around.

I think what @zgaynz said was really helpful; that it can be harder to connect with someone when you're not trying to connect them with who you really are.

I'm a gay guy, and when I was growing up I found it so much easier to make friends with girls! I think that's often a stereotype, but it was true for me. Because I wasn't a tomboy. With the girls, I didn't have to fight, or act tough, or roughhouse... I could be me! It got easier when I got to adulthood (everyone is generally more mature), but I still get intimidated sometimes by my male coworkers because they are really, really traditionally "manly." And you know what? I still like men! And I'm thankful that despite how different I am, the men around me are really, really wonderful, which unfortunately isn't always the case for others.

But my coworkers are just not my type. Not attracted to 'em at all. And I think maybe that sounds like where your struggle is? That you definitely like women, but that it's hard to meet someone who's a certain type?
    I think what you said above could be a little self-limiting. I don't think it's healthy to go from putting yourself in this "heterosexual box" into this "homosexual box," this mold. I think maybe just focusing on being who you really are (what it sounds like at home), and bringing that out into the world instead. My thought is, that once you're as comfortable being around women as you are with men, maybe their walls will come down too?

I certainly hope I'm not sounding pushy or anything. I hope something I said can help with your journey!! :peace:

Gay Brett and BiGemini87 like this.
  4. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if this is quite on topic, but I'm sharing. Before I was even close to being out I was working part-time in a bookstore. There was a guy there training to be manager of another store. When bantering back and forthui, there was this weird, pseudo flirting thing going on between us. At one point he called me princess jokingly. With a dramatic flair, I said, "I am no princess, I am A QUEEN!". Probably the gayest thing I have ever said in public. For a few glorious moments my guard came down and I didn't self-censor

jjusa likes this.
  5. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @jjusa It makes sense that you feel differently at home to when you're out in public: home is your safe space, especially as you live on your own. It's the place where you don't feel the need to put on a particular mask to appease others, be they friends, family, acquaintances or complete strangers. So at home is when you're most honest.

Your sexual orientation isn't changing in this regard (going out in public), but rather is exhibited differently; your anxiety around these other women is the product of your lack of self-esteem, perhaps even internalized homophobia (most likely, in fact). In essence, I think it's safe to say that you're still working through how to feel about this side of yourself, but that's there's also more to it; some deeply rooted issues revolving around your sense of self that you've likely been dealing with for a long time, yet perhaps haven't given much thought to because as people, we often repress things when we don't know how to deal with them yet. Your sexual orientation might be the catalyst right now; a turning point that's forcing you to examine these other feelings, both related and not.

It's not something you're going to overcome overnight, but as long as you start the work--towards bettering your self-esteem, your sense of self and worth--you'll get there. :slight_smile:

6. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How did you realize it was an act? For me, I'm so tolerant and used to the act that it doesn't feel like an act at all.

Thank you. I thought I wanted to pursue women, but I don't anymore and don't really want to. The longer time has passed, the less I feel interested in dating or finding a partner. It's a lot more fun for me to fantasize rather than actually go out there, I'm realizing. When I do go out in public, I put pressure on myself to seek out a partner, but it feels forced. I'd much rather hide in my turtle shell. Lol.

I wish journaling could help! I never liked to journal because I start to overthink and never know what to write. I'm glad it has worked for you though. Exercising or doing some kind of physical activity usually helps me more, but I understand that everybody's different when it comes to managing mental health.

7. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry you are struggling with this issue too! I love being alone at home and wish that it could translate to the real world, but I can't seem to make it happen. Maybe I don't want it to happen.

It's really hard to say. I think it all boils down to struggling to understand where I stand with women. Like you, I find it much easier to connect with the opposite sex. Because they accept me for who I am. Unfortunately, women have not done the same for me, which has resulted in me putting up barriers to avoid any confrontation or other potential negative interactions. Maybe I'll never know where I stand... because I have been struggling with this for years and haven't gotten any concrete answers from within. So the #1 goal now is to try to connect with my authentic self for myself and not for others.

PrettyBoyBlue likes this.
  8. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Something that I notice in lesbian or bisexual women is that they don't feel that anxiety I feel around other women; oftentimes I hear them say that they connect so much better with women and that's how they realized their true sexuality. I'm like, well that hasn't happened for me. I'm always in conflict or don't usually get along with other women, which makes it all the more confusing. 99% of the men I've interacted with I have gotten along great, and I don't understand that either. Well, most of my friendships growing up have been guys so I guess it's nothing new. Women have never liked me much anyway. HAHA. There's just so much damn awkward tension when I'm around certain women I find sexually attractive, and I could never solve the awkward tension other than recognizing that there is nothing there to develop, platonically or not. Yeah, self-esteem plays a role in my comparing of myself to other women and making lots of self-judgments, but I'm not sure about the internalized homophobia part... Not sure what prejudices or myths I'm using to apply to myself. Although I read an article that listed one of the signs of internalized homophobia (Assessing Internalized Sexual Stigma ("Internalized Homophobia") (lgbpsychology.org):

"I often feel it best to avoid personal or social involvement with other lesbian/bisexual women."

That's def how I feel, but my reasoning is different; it's not really to avoid feeling attracted to them, but because I never could connect with them on a deep enough level. And I don't think it's just me... I really do try to connect but fail every time.

Yes, this is very true of me I think! I'm still working through it and haven't developed a sense of self yet. Even though I'm a full grown adult lol.

9. zgaynz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I've always known it was an act but I was trying to fool myself more than anyone else. I had no interest in dating women and always found an excuse not too. I felt it was more an obligation than a need or a want. One day, I'll be able to just be me, but until then I still act straight but do so with the knowledge/acceptance that I'm most definitely gay and if given the choice to be straight, I wouldn't.

10. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like so many here for some time my public sexuality didn’t match my actual sexuality. I was involved in an exclusive relationship with another man privately but publicly I acted straight. Not that I was dating women but I just wouldn’t acknowledge I was gay. The internal pressure built up trying to lead a double life and I “unintentionally “ outed myself at a party. It was a relief to let the private and public sexuality finally merge into being an openly gay man.

Gay Brett and jjusa like this.
  11. BiGemini87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @jjusa I'm sure for many lesbian and bisexual women, that ease of being around other women is true. But like you, I've had many tumultuous interactions/relationships with other girls while growing up, so I tend to be a bit anxious and a lot more self-conscious around them than men (as, like you, I've had an easier time making friends with guys). So while we're not necessarily the exception, we're not the rule, either; I think it's safe to say for lesbian and bisexual women, it's probably about equal where the disparity lies between the two interaction types.

And there's no shame in feeling like you haven't developed that sense of self yet. I think there are more people who can relate to that than we realize. I know I sometimes still struggle with it, as well. It could be the product of the times, a product of our upbringing and early experiences--a whole host of things. Just trust that you'll get there when you're ready, and likely it'll happen without you even realizing it. :slight_smile:

12. jjusa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one who has had these experiences. Thank you for sharing. While I know I am attracted to women (I can't not admit it at this point), I don't foresee myself actually being in a relationship with a woman. I think I would be unhappy if I'm being honest lol. Maybe that's the result of all the trauma from my experiences, but I don't care at this point. It's more than the mistrust I feel from the tumultuous friendships and anxiety-inducing interactions, but every time I try to connect with another woman, it's like a "fake" connection. There's always something missing. Is it trust, emotional compatibility, or maybe it's the gender? To quote a video meme to further illustrate my point, I ask myself, "Where's the flavor in this?" I don't know if I need to spend a lot more time and energy (more than the average person) with this person to see if feelings develop, but I'm really tired of trying to impress or get approval from other females. Or forcing a connection that's not there. Something tells me that I'm just going through a phase or that it's purely physical attraction and nothing more. I am HOPING that I am just bisexual, and not gay. Because I did not sign up for this misery.

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. <3

BiGemini87 likes this.
  13. Artoffact

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am still early in my journey, but I can say that I felt like I had to act differently once I realized that I am bi. Once I got that out of my head, I was a lot more comfortable. I'm still me. Nothing has changed except I don't wear specific underwear depending on whether or not I'm leaving the house.