1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi!

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Mysteria, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm a 40-year old divorced woman. I've been flip-flopping with coming out over the last two years or so, mostly because of my children. I was almost completely out of the closet as bisexual when I broke up with my girlfriend. That threw me, and I went back to my previous life style; conservative church, letting my friends think I had renounced all that. But I haven't been happy. Even my priest noticed it. I've been thinking a lot about how it felt to be with a woman both romantically and sexually and it just felt so right. I don't want to give up my belief in Jesus but I want to be me. And now, of course, I've complicated it because I was out to everyone but my children and now I have to start again. Excuse the rambling. I just feel like I'm starting all over again.

2. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mysteria.....Contrary to what many think...being LGBTQ+ does not mean that you have to give up your faith. I am a gay Christian myself. The Bible does not condemn same-sex relationships as we know them today because they did not exist at the time the Bible was written. The Greek and Roman societies of the first century were quite different than our society. They looked at sexuality in a completely different way than what we do today. The passages in the New Testament, in particular, were intended to condemn sex used in pagan temple worship...not a loving, committed relationship. You can be you and have a belief in Jesus...I do! Remember that you are a part of our LGBTQ+ Family and we do care. Please keep us updated on how this works out!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

3. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you for your response! Right now, I've been a practicing Catholic, and there is definitely not a place, at least at any church in my community, for LGBTQ members who aren't committing to complete celibacy. If it got found out, you would be refused Communion. I guess I've had in my mind that I had to stay there because I have friends there and because I've been there so long, but I've had a couple of friends over the last few days tell me what you did and that I don't have to give up a belief in Jesus to be myself. It's just so wierd to wrap my head around the idea of an affirming church (not that it matters right now with COVID). Is there a book in particular you recommend? Thanks!

4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Mysteria.....Thanks for your reply! Yes, there are some books that I think would be helpful: "Torn" by Justin Lee and "God and the Gay Christian" by Matthew Vines. Both books are an easy read and describe the author's journey from doubt to acceptance of both their sexuality and their faith. Both books helped me a lot!
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

5. FindingMe7

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Mysteria I can so relate to how you feel about your faith. I too am a born again Christian but I am also attracted to woman. I am still in the stage of wrapping my head around that I can still have that relationship with Jesus and still have same sex attraction without feeling shame. This past year I have really questioned everything I have ever believed in and it definitely hasn't been easy. I'm trying my best to learn as much as possible so that I can be me and not what everyone else wants me to be.
    @quebec Thank you for the book recommendations. I have been looking for resources so I will check them out. Faith and family are my 2 biggest obstacles.