1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Birdie145, May 1, 2016.

1. Birdie145

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I came out to 1friend recently, she's the only person I'm out too. I've been going to a meet up coffee group, I find myself looking forward to these gatherings more and more.

I joined a lesbian dating site but only on a limited membership. I'd like a relationship but casual sex just isn't me. I'm quite shy really. I would rather be friends first, go slowly. I thought I was good at sussing out if someone is gay - but I'm not lol. I keep getting it wrong. Any tips on my gaydar?

I'm divorced with grown up kids. I've got some health problems, I suppose I worry that'd put a potential partner off. I'm not sure if it's best to be upfront about my health from the start on the date site or if I should wait?

I hope I'm not on my own forever but I'd rather be alone than living in a bad relationship.
    any other ideas for meeting someone? My extended family are very homophobic. I'm aware that someone is going to see me at the coffee group, sometimes I wonder if I'm hoping that will be how I come out - by being spotted, sort of outing myself, does that make sense to anyone?

2. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That makes a lot of sense to me. I have the same kind of feeling, kind of hoping to be out more but not sure exactly how to do it. I've set a goal of attending our local Pride Fest in 3 weeks, and I'm going to wear a Bi Pride wristband and button. I'm not letting this Pride Fest go by.

Although I'm happily married, I've always been similar to you (back when I wasn't married) in preferring relationships and not casual sex. I understand completely, I'm like you too.

I hope you find an awesome girl and much happiness!

3. Really

I can relate to wanting to be "caught" but I'm pretty sure your coffee group just looks like a bunch of women having coffee. Maybe a bunch of "arty" women having coffee but unless the rest of the group were all couples with their arms around each other, there's no way to tell it's a group of lesbians. For the casual observer, anyways.

If anyone asks you who that group was they saw you with, you're still going to have to waffle or come out.

4. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Health problems in what way?
    Is it something that will affect the relationship such as a sexual transmitted infection?

5. Birdie145

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for the replies, the coffee group thoughts make sense, probably more because I know we're gay lol.
    The perspective helped thank you!

I've bought a rainbow key ring and earrings! Great idea. The Pride event sounds a big deal for you, post how you get on :slight_smile: and enjoy it!

Health, no nothing related to STI's , I've got a physical disability. I think someone would have to know as a friend first, I'm not defined by my disability, I'd want to be with someone who can see past that, see me as a person. In the group I've been going to someone uses a walking cane, another lady uses crutches - made me feel a bit less self conscious. I suppose really that's me hoping at some point I might meet a new partner and fear my health will put women off. Hopefully the right woman will see me rather than a mobility scooter!

6. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, new friend. :slight_smile: I like your screen name because it reminds me of the Birdtie Sanders thing. :slight_smile:

Yay for keyring and earrings! I want cute rainbow earrings. I did buy some super comfy, super tall rainbow socks.

I don'lt have real stats, but I kinda think that a higher percentage of queer folk among people with disabilities. I don'lt know if that's true, though.