1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi! Haven't been here for a while but a Q about my 15 yr old DD's application to a school

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Firepit5, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Firepit5

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi. I haven't been here for a while and I apologize. I should have been more of a support. But now I have a question. DD wants to go to an elite private school. Long story. We can't afford it unless they pay for almost everything but DD is just one of those kids that they might pay for. Its a US prep school. DD and I have talked about their reception to LGBT students. They have an LGBT student organization. They also have nothing about that on their website. She is not worried. She is also 15 years old. I am 53. I am worried. There is no way I will send my kid to a school that is even more unfriendly towards lesbians than hers, and hers is just ok. But trying to get your kid into an elite school, how do you say "Yeah, that's great. But WTF about lesbians and gays? Truth!"

Please no political replies. I appreciate your feelings but I have enough shit to deal with on a daily.

#1 Firepit5, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  2. DecentOne

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm... in this current era, if a school does not list their LGBT student organization openly, that is indeed a concern. Back when I was in college (in the last century) it was still understandable (though worth protesting!) if an administration said it was totally ok for LGBT students but there was some reason they didn’t want it to be widely known. Back then older folks (read: alumni givers) might have said “We’re not against THOSE people, we just don’t want their agenda in our face.” Now even that excuse would seem out of step with the times. I feel for you in your role as parent to try to find the best situation and scope out negatives.

3. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where is that elite school? Bible belt or more liberal state?

Regardless just send a polite email.

"Hi, my daughter is considering applying to your university next year but as a queer (lesbian) student, she is concerned about her potential integration. I am sure there is nothing to worry about but could you potentially send me a link to the school's LGBT organization or any other ressources that could help ease her concerns?"

I can't see why they would be offended or how it could affect her chance of entry , message them separetely to her application so they don't link it to her if you are scared but I wouldn't really stress about it.

4. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Websites are not always maintained well. Look at the bottom of a the main page and see if there is notice: This sight last updated xyz.

I'm actually relying more and more on internet reviews.

Good luck.