1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi from England

Discussion in 'The Welcome Lounge' started by Shell87, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Shell87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi everyone,
    This is the first time I have written on a forum but since I'm rather lost I figured I would give it a go.

I am married with two children and have been questioning my sexuality for a few years, it has become more evident over the past year that I am attracted to women.
    I am pretty sure my husband is aware I like women, in fact around 5 years ago he did ask me but I wasn't aware myself at the time.

Rather confused and lost regarding life at present .

I am looking to connect with other people in my situation as I continue to discover myself.

2. DCSC

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Secretme

I have literally just signed up a few minutes ago as I too have been struggling with intense feelings of attraction towards women (and if I'm being honest it's been like this for the last 10 years at least). I'm in a long term relationship with a straight man and have been for the last 6 years.

I saw your post and thought I'd reply due to the similar circumstances...

Can I ask what brought you here today? Can you expand a little on your story?

3. Shell87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Welsh girl,

I am finding that I am more conflicted recently and that is why I posted here today.

All of the signs have been there I suppose but I didn't see it.
    I met my husband at university and fell pregnant shortly after, we have been through a lot together and I do love him, I just don't find him attractive.

Over the years I found myself attracted to women but brushed it off as just thinking they were pretty but it has progressed as I have become more aware of it. Now I realise that in fact that I have this ability to feel something I have never felt before, but I am married, with 2 children and I know it would rip my family apart and it would be totally selfish...hence the conflict I feel.

It is nice to feel I am not the only one in this situation! Could you share a little more about your situation?

4. DCSC

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the reply Secretme.

I can't even imagine how conflicted you must feel...having a family certainly changes your priorities.

I'm 29, have been in a relationship for the last 6 years with a straight guy...I guess I've always had something niggling in the back of my mind over the years since I was in my teens. I've had serious crushes here and there but never acted on anything and I've never been with a women at all.

Recently it's pretty much all I've been thinking about, and I'm unsure why. I've not told a soul how I feel, I don't really know how my partner would take it to be honest. But there are definitely strong feelings of wanting to explore my sexuality. Since I was 17 I've been in two long term relationships spanning my 20s, so I've never really had a chance to meet other women etc. I definitely feel a stronger attraction to women than to men, and it's been a lot more intense recently.

Much like yourself, I love my partner but I'm not IN love with him anymore, if that makes sense? He is an amazing boyfriend and I will always think very highly of him, but I don't think we are on the same page when it comes to our future. Finishing things with him absolutely terrifies me...

I've come here to share and to listen, and to hopefully help in any way I can (although considering my situation, it will mostly be sharing and listening!)

5. Shell87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi,

I am 30 and my husband was my first real boyfriend. My husband would be distraught if he knew how I felt, although I feel a part of him knows I like women he has no idea (like you) that I am not in love with him, he has no other family and if we separated he would be totally alone.

I would happily keep up my current life because I know he loves me and my children aged 5 and 10 are very happy, we both have good jobs and lifestyle, problem being in recent months sex really isn't a nice experience for me, I have no idea how long I can keep this up for .

How do you cope with keeping up appearances?

6. DCSC

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The thing is with our relationship is that we get on really well, so it helps a lot when I need to keep up appearances. The sex is a bit boring and samey...I can't say that when I'm with him I want to rip his clothes off! It's definitely not as frequent now either but I put that down to being in a long term relationship and is probably fairly normal.

There was never that passion there really...I fell in love with the person he is but in addition to my growing feelings towards women I don't think that's enough anymore?

7. Shell87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It baffles me to think all these years I figured I was straight and never really enjoyed sex. I can remember feeling very attracted to him when we met but sex was never satisfying, I like you definitely fell for him as a person.

In my opinion you are probably going to hurt your boyfriend less leaving him now rather than when he wants to get married or you have a child. It sounds as though even if you weren't having feelings towards women you aren't in love with him anymore.

I can't imagine telling my husband so if your boyfriend has no idea I can see how difficult it would be, especially given that you have been together for a long time.

8. DCSC

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm lucky in that marriage and children are off the table; both of us aren't interested at all in either.

I've actually thought of maybe broaching having more of an open relationship, but I think that's avoiding the underlying truth of maybe me not being in love with him anymore. He wouldn't agree to it anyway...!

It must be so difficult for you, how do you get through it? Your family is obviously very important to you, but surely you deserve to be happy? So much easier said than done though...what made your husband ask you five years ago if you were attracted to women, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm emotionally so confused!

9. Shell87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is very important to me, I can only imagine what my children would go through if we separated, nevermind if I started a relationship with a woman. I have over the past year been more open with my children and telling them people can marry any sex.
    My husband has had a hang up of me being more attractive than him for many years, obviously a confidence issue on his part, he always worries I will leave, he has looked at my FB and Netflix viewing etc. I have very few female friends and get on better with men, always been a bit of a tomboy, maybe this was a hint that I never saw. As my interest in sex went down hill he threw it out there 'do you like women" I had no idea I did at the time.

I try to think that if I can make it work until they are older but I am just taking it one day at a time at present.

10. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome Secretme!

11. DCSC

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Your situation sounds similar to mine, I can relate to some of the points you've raised. I too would say (it's not great to stereotype but unfortunately most people do it, including myself subconciously) I'm a bit of a tomboy and get on well with men more than women. Over the years I've had a handful of people question I was lesbian due to the way I dress, look (I have short hair - shocker ) and carry myself. I remember once at work in the canteen it came up somehow in front of a group of colleagues and I immediately dismissed it, got quite hot and angry about it - how dare people question my sexuality based on what haircut I have! Haven't they got anything better to do?!

Anyway, you are being incredibly selfless sacrificing your happiness for the time being until your children are older. It can't be easy and I applaud you, but I hope it doesn't have a negative effect on your wellbeing.

12. Shell87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi BothWaysSecret,

When I was studying a post graduate course some years ago we had an Xmas party and all stayed in an apartment afterwards due to heavy snow, I had a friend who was around 17 years older than me come onto into my room for something other than cuddles , turns out she presumed I was gay and therefore I must be into her.....
    I have midlength hair and could pass as very feminine depending on what I was wearing but like you say it must be the mannerisms and the fact I do DIY and hate shopping, people just presume.

Thank you for your kind words .

13. DCSC

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How did that make you feel, having that interest from a woman?

I've not really had any overtly obvious female flirting, I think my earliest memory of thinking I was maybe different was at a friend's sleepover when I was 14...I remember sleeping on the floor and this other girl was sleeping next to me. It was quite a confined space where we were, so I turned away from her to face the wall. She turned towards me and got really close, basically spooned me but I was up so close against the wall there was nowhere for me to go! I went so rigid with nerves, my heart was pumping a million miles an hour - I had no idea what to do, so I just lay there until she moved away. It could well have been completely innocent on her part, but for me it was exciting and nervewracking and weirdly amazing...I've always wondered if she was really asleep or not...nothing was ever mentioned between us afterwards.

I will change the subject as a distraction! If you don't mind me asking, where and what did you study? I won't be offended if you'd rather not say. I did my undergraduate degree in York Uni and loved every moment of it! Miss it a lot sometimes...

14. Shell87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry Welshgirl, I was multitasking and didn't address my last post to you.

I am unsure if I am being selfless or stupid but that's life either way there won't be a great outcome...

15. Shell87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi,
    Honestly I was drunk and I had always seen her as a motherly figure so it freaked me out, I was also annoyed that she figured a lesbian must want to jump ALL women. Her husband had cheated on her and she clearly figured I could help her get one over on him.
    I have had a girl at a wedding kiss me once while dancing but both of our husbands were there, she said it turned her husband on, I knew my husband would be thinking "lesbian" so I pulled back very quickly, my heart was racing though!!

I originally studied nursing but I was studying postgraduate IT. What about you? I love York!

16. DCSC

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can definitely see how annoying that situation would have been. Not very nice at all to be potentially used as a means to get revenge...

York is the best, a big part of this fantasy of starting anew involves moving back there! I studied Archaeology...the idea of unearthing something that hasn't been touched for hundreds, thousands or even hundreds of thousands of years mystifies and fascinates me! Although sadly I didn't end up in a career related to it, it's more of an interest now.

I'm finding this outlet quite cathartic already. It's bringing back a lot of memories that are clear indicators of how I have been feeling over the last few years, but that I've surpressed due to circumstances at the time. Are you finding it at all helpful?

17. Shell87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    York is a lovely place, at all times of year.

Archaeology does sound fascinating, shame it only became a hobby. I can imagine jobs are scarce I'm that area?

You are right, I have found it helpful already, it is nice to be myself rather than what I am needed to be (I hope that makes sense).

18. DCSC

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It makes complete sense. From reading other threads on here I can see that it's a very accepting and non-judgemental place which is exactly what a lot of people like ourselves need. Hopefully one day we can both be ourselves anywhere at anytime! But for now the support network is comforting.

Well jobs in the field are hard to come by, I was planning on doing a masters in London but met my current partner soon after graduating which changed my trajectory a bit...I stayed at home and got a job, we bought a house together and here I am.

Never thought I would post anything about this anywhere but glad I did now :slight_smile:

19. Shell87

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's funny isn't it, I had totally different plans when I met my husband. I often wonder if the situation was reversed what he would do, but that won't help my situation so I try not to think about it.

If you are thinking of starting over, it's never too late to follow your dreams...

Yes, everyone seems so supportive, I am really glad I stumbled by the site. The thought of what my family would say haunts me, so it is nice to know there are people who can relate to that here.

20. DCSC

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's very difficult not to think of the "what ifs"...I've always wondered where I would be now if I hadn't met my partner at the time I did.

It's interesting you mentioned about if the roles were reversed, it's never really occurred to me to think of it from that perspective.

Based on what you said about your family, I take it they would not be accepting of your coming out? Or would it be more about the spearation aspect? Or both?